Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Time to Hindu Temple-Guide?

Re: First Time to Hindu Temple-Guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Not sure about the same time idea. There are some Hindus who favour one day over another, but overall, we're pretty sporadic in temple attendance.

No idea about the hand motions. You might see somebody pulling their ears and moving up and down though. This is a common gesture for Ganesha. Most people just walk around normally without hands clasped. Only when actually praying or beseeching blessings at one of the shrines, generally. During the height of the puja, often the clasped hands are raised above the head. Maybe this is what you saw.

If most of other people stand, so should you. Usually people stand during the main aarti (waving of lights) or abhishekham (ritual bathing) .

If it says its open from 8 - 9, then it is. But from 1 - 5 or so, there will be little going on in terms of pujas.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks, that was helpful, as always.

So I went again yesterday, though again I wasn't able to be there for one of the scheduled rituals. Indeed, the temple is open outside of the times listed for rites. From what I observed, it seemed like devotees would bring offerings, then give them to a priest, who I'm guessing offered them to the deity of choice.

So this time, I walked around again a few times, then "meditated" (I guess that word has a specific meaning in the East, so for me, it's more like I "pondered"/mentally prayed) while sitting before Ganesh. There was another black guy there, as well as a white guy with his Indian girlfriend, which was nice I guess . I noticed one girl was circumabulating (sp?) the Ganesh shrine repeatedly, and was noting each full circle she made on a piece of paper.

New questions:

1) If I decide I'd like to offer something to a deity, how would I go about doing that? Would I just bring, for example, some fruits and ask a priest that I'd like to offer them to Vishnu, for example? I think I noticed some people bringing their offerings just in a plastic bag, so I'm assuming that's okay? I also noticed that there was like a blue mat or something near certain shrines and a sign that said to leave your offering there. So I'm guessing I could just leave it there instead of directly giving it to a priest? Are there specific items that should be offered to specific gods? Basically, what is the offering process like? Oh and there are boxes that say "Hundu" (if I remember correctly). Is that just for offering money?

2) Next to the Ganesh shrine there's a table with various things like, I'm assuming, ash and kumkum? Why would you apply these on your forehead? How? When? From my viewpoint, it seemed like people would just go up and apply them.

3) Down the road, let's say that I'd like a ritual done for myself. Apparently you need to give the priest your name, birth star, and lineage/gotra? How would I find out the latter two? I mean, I'm assuming that birth star can be figured out, but what about gotra for those not in a Hindu family?

I'm sure I have a lot more questions, but that's all I can think of right now. Time to start reading my copy of "What is Hinduism?" by the Himalayan Academy that just arrived today!

Quote Originally Posted by MormonGuy View Post
    . I noticed one girl was circumabulating (sp?) the Ganesh shrine repeatedly, and was noting each full circle she made on a piece of paper.

New questions:

1) If I decide I'd like to offer something to a deity, how would I go about doing that? Would I just bring, for example, some fruits and ask a priest that I'd like to offer them to Vishnu, for example? I think I noticed some people bringing their offerings just in a plastic bag, so I'm assuming that's okay? I also noticed that there was like a blue mat or something near certain shrines and a sign that said to leave your offering there. So I'm guessing I could just leave it there instead of directly giving it to a priest? Are there specific items that should be offered to specific gods? Basically, what is the offering process like? Oh and there are boxes that say "Hundu" (if I remember correctly). Is that just for offering money?

2) Next to the Ganesh shrine there's a table with various things like, I'm assuming, ash and kumkum? Why would you apply these on your forehead? How? When? From my viewpoint, it seemed like people would just go up and apply them.

3) Down the road, let's say that I'd like a ritual done for myself. Apparently you need to give the priest your name, birth star, and lineage/gotra? How would I find out the latter two? I mean, I'm assuming that birth star can be figured out, but what about gotra for those not in a Hindu family?

I'm sure I have a lot more questions, but that's all I can think of right now. Time to start reading my copy of "What is Hinduism?" by the Himalayan Academy that just arrived today!
    Vannakkam: The girl circumabulating would be counting, because certain numbers like 21, 51, 108, are considered auspicious. That is quite common. Probably 108 times around.

1) You can purchase an archana (specific prayer, personalised) from the office. They will give you a ticket and give that to the priest along with your offerings. You can leave then on the stands too. The inner purpose of an offering is humility and it opens you up to the vibration more. Many of the people you see would have most likely done that. But temples do vary.

2) It varies but use 3 fingers (Always use your right hand!) for the ash (vibhuti) and try to make 3 lines across your forehead. Next take the wet yellow (sandalwood powder) with the ring finger of right hand, and apply it to the brow, between the eyebrows. Lastly use the same finger to get some red powder (kumkum) and place it on top of the sandalwood.

3) Search on-line for 'nakshatra calculator' and you will discover programs to calculate it. You need time and day of birth and location in longitude and latitude. Some better sites have larger cities in their database. That will give you your nakshatra. For gotra, most westerners don't have one, but many priests will say 'Siva gotra' as we're all Siva's family. It's okay to leave it blank too.

It's Hundi, and you guessed right. It is just a simple anonymous donation box.

Best wishes on this adventure.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: The girl circumabulating would be counting, because certain numbers like 21, 51, 108, are considered auspicious. That is quite common. Probably 108 times around.

1) You can purchase an archana (specific prayer, personalised) from the office. They will give you a ticket and give that to the priest along with your offerings. You can leave then on the stands too. The inner purpose of an offering is humility and it opens you up to the vibration more. Many of the people you see would have most likely done that. But temples do vary.

2) It varies but use 3 fingers (Always use your right hand!) for the ash (vibhuti) and try to make 3 lines across your forehead. Next take the wet yellow (sandalwood powder) with the ring finger of right hand, and apply it to the brow, between the eyebrows. Lastly use the same finger to get some red powder (kumkum) and place it on top of the sandalwood.

3) Search on-line for 'nakshatra calculator' and you will discover programs to calculate it. You need time and day of birth and location in longitude and latitude. Some better sites have larger cities in their database. That will give you your nakshatra. For gotra, most westerners don't have one, but many priests will say 'Siva gotra' as we're all Siva's family. It's okay to leave it blank too.

It's Hundi, and you guessed right. It is just a simple anonymous donation box.

Best wishes on this adventure.

Aum Namasivaya
    Ok great, thanks so much.

Also, I found the "Visiting a Hindu Temple-A Beginner's Guide" by Hinduism Today very helpful.

Namaste,

I drop money at the hundies, while I am at USA. But whenever I visit India , I make it a point to drop my donations in the pundit's arti plate. The reason is two fold.

- Most of the pundits are dirt poor , living on sub-poverty wages. They are smart enough to lead a successful life in the business world , but their love of temple duty keeps them there. By dropping the money in the plate , my donations go the pundits family.

- The govt collects the money dropped at the hundies and part of it is stolen by bureaucrats and the remaining part is used by govt to various programs like subsidizing the haj trips

Thread Information