Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Time to Hindu Temple-Guide?

Re: First Time to Hindu Temple-Guide?

Quote Originally Posted by MormonGuy View Post
    SO, I'm planning on going to the Ganesha temple in Queens, NYC this Friday!

I won't lie, I'm still nervous, since I'm going by myself. Thanks to those that suggested going to one of the smaller temples in the city, and I certainly will, however I feel drawn to go to this temple (maybe because it's bigger?).

I plan on going, taking off my shoes (and socks?) at the front, then going in, walking/sit around, and observe without doing anything, and I guess seeing how I "feel" while there. Is there a specific time or ritual I should go for to observe?

Also, what is the purpose of "abhishekam"? I know it refers to pouring milk, honey, etc on the deity image, however why is that done? Is this an offering?
    Vannakkam: I'm curious as to how it went, if you went. Do we get an update?

Aum Namasivaya

double
    Last edited by MormonGuy; 07 June 2013 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I'm curious as to how it went, if you went. Do we get an update?

Aum Namasivaya
    Replied earlier today but I guess it didn't post. Lets see how it goes this time!

Ok, so I finally visited the Ganesh temple in Flushing today. I was definitely hesitant in going because I was nervous that I'd do something wrong, staring, etc. I finally decided to just go today, and I'm glad I did.

I drove over to the temple, and it took me some time to find parking, so I had to circle the temple a few times, which allowed me to stake out the entrance so I wouldn't look like a complete newbie trying to get in .

When you go in, there's an outdoor walkway lined with statues of Ganesh which was nice. Then, you take off your shoes and go in the main temple. I had to pause to see if everyone had socks on, since I wasn't sure if I should take them off too. Inside, it wasn't too busy, since I went around noon. Sadly I missed abhishekam, but it looked like the priests were going to each shrine, offered something, did arati, and offered the flame to the worshippers. I just stood back and observed. There are a lot of deities there, and I remembered that these aren't just statues or art.

I walked around the temple a few times, looking at each deity. Everyone was doing their own thing, no one was staring, there was a white dude there too that seemed to be there for the first time as well, and a few others seemed to be first time visitors, some with cameras outside or going down to the canteen. There was a woman sitting on the floor making flower garlands. Then, I went through a back hallway to a separate shrine for the navagrahas (surrounded by big windows letting in lots of light), which was interesting. I circled around again, then I decided to sit in front of the main Ganesh shrine in the middle (I saw someone sitting earlier so I figured it was okay) and said a prayer. I also said a prayer before the Lakshmi shrine. It felt good and right to do so. After all that, I slowly walked out.

All in all, I'm really glad I went. I'm grateful that I live a 15 min drive from the temple, as I definitely plan on going again next week. This time I'll make it for one of the rituals I see offered on the website. It felt good to be there, but I was honestly just more concerned with not looking like a fool to really ponder, though I felt more comfortable the longer I was there. Compared to my experience in Mormon temples, I feel like this is what I've been "missing" all this time. Like I'd read about ancient temples in Egypt, India, Israel (Solomon's temple), etc., and here's one in that same tradition 15 minutes away . Can't wait to go back next week!

Vannakkam Mormon Guy:

I'm glad you liked it. The more times you go, the more comfortable you'll feel, and the more comfortable devotees will feel with you. If you have any questions, ask away.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste MormonGuy

Just smiling after waiting one week to get this news.

Jai Ganesha!

Mahadeva Smaranam OM namah shivaya
    Mrtyunjayaya rudraya neelakanthaya shambhave
    Amrteshaya sarvaya mahadevaya te namah

Namaste,
    .......15 minutes away . Can't wait to go back next week!
    If it is only 15 minutes away, why wait till next week? Most temples are open from early morning to around noon and then from say 4-5 PM till about 8 PM. So you could stop by on your way to or after work to have a darshan of the deities and say your prayers. Just a thought, not pushing you to go there more often.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

If it is only 15 minutes away, why wait till next week? Most temples are open from early morning to around noon and then from say 4-5 PM till about 8 PM. So you could stop by on your way to or after work to have a darshan of the deities and say your prayers. Just a thought, not pushing you to go there more often.

Pranam.
    Vannakkam Believer: Thanks for the reminder, especially to the newcomers to the faith and to this site. People coming over from western faiths would have it solidly programmed in the subconscious that religion (attendance at a house of worship) is a once a week thing. Still, some of the smaller temples I know who rely on lay priests and can't affors to hire a full time priest, are only open once, sometimes twice a week.

Of course in Hinduism we have the 10 minute visit, commonly. One of the problems for Mormon Guy and this particular temple is parking. As I recall, it's street parking only.

I feel incredibly blessed to be able to go every day.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Mormon Guy:

I'm glad you liked it. The more times you go, the more comfortable you'll feel, and the more comfortable devotees will feel with you. If you have any questions, ask away.

Aum Namasivaya
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking that it might make sense that whenever I decide to go, it should be at the same time, since I'm assuming that some people that go frequently would go at the same time each day/week, and the priests would be the same at that time as well.

Hmmm questions...one I have is, I noticed that when one person walked in, he did some sort of motion with his hand in the air, I didn't really catch it. It sort of reminded me of the sign of the cross done by some Christian denominations, so I'm wondering if you knew what he did?

Also, do I need to have my hands clasped as I walk around? It was funny, I didn't really know what to do with my hands while I was walking around. And I'm assuming it's always okay to just sit on the floor wherever, even if a ritual is going on? Is there a time where I should definitely stand?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Pranam.
    Thank you. I was out of town the last few days, hence why this coming week. Also, as Eastern Mind mentioned, yes, parking is an issue there as well, since it's street parking. Also, I work from 3-11, so I'm assuming that the temple would be closed just before I head to work (the temple website says it's open from 8am-9pm, no mention of closures, though it does look like the schedule ends around 11am then resumes around 5pm...maybe I should call and ask). But I do agree that I'll try to stop in once in awhile since it's so close to me.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm thinking that it might make sense that whenever I decide to go, it should be at the same time, since I'm assuming that some people that go frequently would go at the same time each day/week, and the priests would be the same at that time as well.

Hmmm questions...one I have is, I noticed that when one person walked in, he did some sort of motion with his hand in the air, I didn't really catch it. It sort of reminded me of the sign of the cross done by some Christian denominations, so I'm wondering if you knew what he did?

Also, do I need to have my hands clasped as I walk around? It was funny, I didn't really know what to do with my hands while I was walking around. And I'm assuming it's always okay to just sit on the floor wherever, even if a ritual is going on? Is there a time where I should definitely stand?

Thanks!
    Vannakkam: Not sure about the same time idea. There are some Hindus who favour one day over another, but overall, we're pretty sporadic in temple attendance.

No idea about the hand motions. You might see somebody pulling their ears and moving up and down though. This is a common gesture for Ganesha. Most people just walk around normally without hands clasped. Only when actually praying or beseeching blessings at one of the shrines, generally. During the height of the puja, often the clasped hands are raised above the head. Maybe this is what you saw.

If most of other people stand, so should you. Usually people stand during the main aarti (waving of lights) or abhishekham (ritual bathing) .

If it says its open from 8 - 9, then it is. But from 1 - 5 or so, there will be little going on in terms of pujas.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information