Thread: Combining Trataka Meditation Yoga with Bhakti Yoga

Combining Trataka Meditation Yoga with Bhakti Yoga

Namaste

Trataka “meditation” is one of the six Shat Kriyas of Hatha Yoga. Typically, Trataka is translated as “Gazing yoga”. I am not aware of any specific references to this name outside of Hatha Yoga scripture and writings. However, the method is a practice where one’s gaze is fixed on the meditative object or focus of communion for some time, avoiding the blinking of the eyes, where visualization is used as the image is joined into the eyebrow center which becomes visualization upon the closing of the eyes.

Typically a jyoti lamp, dipa or puja lamp or candle is used, but not necessarily. Devotional objects or murtis or images or Devata pictures are used, or sometimes yantras or written words or OM symbol and so on. However, it is almost traditional that a jyoti lamp is used.

Trataka is also found in the practice of Raja Yoga and Jnana Yoga, and in South India also Trataka Yoga is combined with Bhakti Yoga of which there is a rich tradition in relation to Muruga devotion.

In fact, Trataka Yoga and Bhakti Yoga can be effectively coupled as a practice. There are many examples of Muruga (or Skanda, Karttikeya) appearing before Saints and Tamil mystics in actual visualizations using the jyoti trataka method. It is clear that Trataka is a technique which Sadhakas and Yogis open Siddhis, and so this needs to be understood and it may not be recommended for everyone. However, it can be a powerful way to effect and affect devotion to your Lord, and can increase service. Certainly it can give real presence to the attachment of devotees to their Lord, but is not typically practiced because it does bring in the element of Siddha to Bhakti.

Some interpret the word “Ha” as Sun and “Tha” as Moon or the union of the Sun and the Moon. In the use of Trataka Yoga with jyoti method, the sun gives light because it reflects on the moon. Analogies in relation to Trataka with jyoti is the lamp or sun “gives” light to the moon or the devotional object, in the case of Trataka with Bhakti Yoga the Moon is your Lord.

You gaze at the jyoti in front of your eyes, without blinking and with meditation. When you combine this with Bhakti yoga, you may place an object or a picture or murti of your Lord in line just above the flame or light. Your practice may start off with just short periods of un-flickering gaze, followed by closing of the eyes. Upon closing of the eyes, you may see or visualized the image. You can increase the time you gaze with practice, but results often can happen soon. Advanced methods may stimulate the Third Eye.

Here is a practical example of combining Trataka with Bhaki Yoga. This is an example of Muruga siddha.

PEACOCK JYOTI

The jyoti lamp is before your eyes. Behind the lamp and just slightly above is a beautiful picture of Lord Muruga.

The mount of Muruga is the Peacock.

You fix your gaze just verily slightly above the flame. The line of projection is to the face of your Lord.

You contemplate that the flame is the Peacock. Now the jyoti becomes the mount of your Lord. He is taking presence as He mounts the Peacock.
    When you need to close your eyes, you visualize or even see your Lord in the light that remains behind the closed eyes. Your visualization is a focus. The focus can turn into actual communion.

You may at the end of the practice, offer your hands in Namaste and prayer and say a loving mantra such as OM SARAVANABAVAYA NAMAHA.

There are other examples. You can use the same method using HANUMAN JYOTI. In this example, the flame or jyoti is the heart of Hanuman. Behind the lamp is Shri Ram. Hanuman opens His chest to revel His heart, which is Ram. Another example would be the Light or Jyotir Lingam is the flame, revealing Lord Shiva. Another example, the Jyoti is the Syamantaka Gem and behind it is Lord Krishna.

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: Combining Trataka Meditation Yoga with Bhakti Yoga

namaste ShivaFan

Thank you for this post.

Very few may realize it, though as I see, the lines of your post contain All Hinduism in it!

It is not necessary to add anything.
    Murugan's vehicle, the peacock, is named "Parvani" (means: connection/ knot/ node); so Lord Murugan connects us, to Sat. This is fundamental.
    Who else is like Him? ofcourse, Hanuman.

I believe Murugan really took birth in the Tamil land. Hanuman i believe was born in now what is Jharkhand. There is another vertex of the triangle: Punjab-Hariyana where Asvini Kumar, the God, became the secular realization of the same truth.

One triangle. Three vertices. That is the x-ray of India to me. What makes a Hindu a Hindu? It is the worship of Hanuman or Muruga. In secular terms, it is the life-long avowal towards Asvini Kumar that makes an Indian an Indian or a Hindu a Hindu.

I am going to write down this definition in the thread "who is Hindu", for sure!
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Ä€stika = BhÄrata ("east") / Ä€rya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Re: Combining Trataka Meditation Yoga with Bhakti Yoga

Namaste, ShivaFan.

Trataka was the very first Sadhana/Kriya I was ever introduced to.

I recall my very first Science class back when I was in middle-school. The teacher said "Science is all about observation, so I am going to light a candle here and I want everybody to write down 20 things they can observe from this candle burning".

The previous summer, I spent weeks doing Trataka on candles, until I felt confident and advanced enough to start doing Trataka on my own eyes (the space between them) in a mirror.

Suffice to say, I wrote nothing on my piece of paper....just doing an 'artist's impression' of the candle after Trataka to make my teacher happy. He was.

Later, Bhakti enabled me to do Trataka on a picture of Lord Shiva, but I mainly did it on Shri Yantra or something like that.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thread Information