Thread: The "No Spanking" Rule

Exclamation The "No Spanking" Rule

Namaste HDF,

I'm not directing this thread at anyone or anything specific. My experiences on this forum have generally been positive and good. I'm typing this from an emotionally stable place and I have no quarrel with anyone at present.

That said, I still think a reminder of the "No Spanking" rule that has been integrated into the official forum rules is in order.

Yes, I know as a Westerner I've been taught much differently and in ways where the end result is I don't have inherent respect for the values taught in traditional Hindu culture (however it's defined). I know my thought processes need guidance and occasional correction as a result of the indoctrination I was subject to as a child.

I converted to Hinduism as an attempt to rectify those mistakes and those thought patterns that are disrespectful, and to improve myself as a human being. That said, I am still human. I can and will make mistakes, and none of them are intentional (though they may still spring from ignorance). While ignorance is no excuse in the court of law, this is not the court of law.

I know I sometimes take criticism too strongly and too personally. I do apologize for that, but it's still a habit that dies hard. Know that I am working on that aspect of my personality.

Again, I'm not posting this in response to anything specific. I would just feel better if everyone was reminded of this rule, which has allowed me to get positive experiences here in the first place.

Re: The "No Spanking" Rule

Hi,
    What is "No Spanking" rules? For one sec I was taken back seeing the title
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Namaste Realdemigod,

The "No Spanking" rule I'm referring to comes from this thread: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2550

"Respect, humble, & openness to others and their ideas... a 'no spanking policy'. Recognize good work. We will do this via compliments, and applause. The intent:- catch people doing something right and acknowledge their good work. Make corrections to thinking, but not at the expense of ones good nature or mental health."

There you go.

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 05:53 PM.

I'd suggest not to worry too much on others' opinions. Only few are experts here in what they say and they don't talk much..while many other just ramble here.

I know hardly anything on most of topics here
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Namaste, Webimpulse.

After similar experiences on here and expressing my frustration, disillusionment, anger and disgust, I was sent quite a few PMs and emails by friendly members all basically saying in paraphrase:

"The opinions and words of the relative few on this forum do not represent Hinduism or Hindus as a whole. This forum is just a sectarian confederacy of Hinduism with the select few giving a biased skew on the religion".

That made me feel a whole lot better about it...knowing that for each 'spanking' I got, there were many out there with a comforting salve to heal my wounds and bring the dim situation into a much brighter light.

Having said that, you need to associate more with 'real life Hindus' and not 'internet Hindus'. I need to do that as well. I need to go to the Temple a lot more than just once a month (yes, I got my car back and I've been to Mukti Gupteshwar Mandir once only).

I have also been reminded that my devotion to God is more important than arguing pointlessly with others.

I went off here for a couple of days, but all the support and well-wishes from others made me return.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Vannakkam: Sometimes we just express a POV, or an opinion, and because another person doesn't agree, they feel offended, where there was no such intention.

I know I've offended people. Some probably haven't come back because I said Christ isn't part of Hinduism, or some such thing. A forum is a place where opinions are expressed, and discussions are held. I now read almost every post mentally with the preface, 'In my opinion' or 'based on the knowledge I currently hold' . I think it's a waste of typing time to preface everything with that disclaimer. That said, we can do without name calling and condescending tones.

There are many who are newcomers, and I think it helps to attempt to understand the audience before writing. It it's laced with Sanskrit words, quotes from scripture, high-falutin' vocabulary, etc., that what is the purpose?

I'm glad we have the jalpa forum.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    Having said that, you need to associate more with 'real life Hindus' and not 'internet Hindus'.
    Namaste Necromancer,

You are 100% correct in that statement, and in that regard I'm actually one step ahead of you. I've been involved in my local temple quite a bit, actually; sadly my lack of a car has diminished my ability to get involved recently, but with more people willing to give me a ride to the temple it's been picking up again. In the interim I guess this forum was a way to "fill the void" so to speak, and to some extent it still is. But what keeps me coming back to this forum is the fact that there are real life Hindus who know me and can back me up so to speak, and I keep that in mind whenever someone on the Internet feels the need to "spank" me.

Anyway, I've found wherever I go on the Internet, be it a Hindu or Christian forum, liberal or conservative, American, Indian, or whatever other nationality you can think of, or any category of human on the Internet, this formula universally applies:

Normal person
    +Anonymity
    +Audience
    ----------------
    Total Jerk

(I tried finding a picture of the above formula but they all use a much harsher term than "jerk." )

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Anyway, I've found wherever I go on the Internet, be it a Hindu or Christian forum, liberal or conservative, American, Indian, or whatever other nationality you can think of, or any category of human on the Internet, this formula universally applies:

Normal person
    +Anonymity
    +Audience
    ----------------
    Total Jerk

(I tried finding a picture of the above formula but they all use a much harsher term than "jerk." )
    Namaste.

100% spot-on!

I'm about to have another post deleted in a different section of this forum because somebody has disagreed with what I have said...and of course, he's now reporting that post as being offensive to him (I see everything that happens on here) so, it will be deleted based on the fact that 'a complaint has been made' and nothing more than that.

If a complaint is made against me, admin/mods jump all over it, however, if I complain about anything, nothing is ever done.

This goes to emphasise everything I said in my previous post and the phenomenon of 'mateship' that occurs on Internet forums.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 09 June 2013 at 01:39 PM.

Thread Information