Thread: Misplaced Topics

Misplaced Topics

Namaste,

Lately, we have not been starting some of the threads in their proper sub-forums, and instead dumping them in the Canteen sub-forum. Let us all elevate the Hinduism related, serious topics to their rightful sub-forums, and not post them causally in the Canteen section, where they don't belong in the first place.

Pranam.

Re: Misplaced Topics

Namaste Believer.

You are right, I'm probably guilty myself.

What's the best definition of the canteen section? Maybe "what's on your mind?" Isn't... I know i have all sorts of things on my mind. I notice serious stuff goes in there.
    But is this the place for serious stuff (the root of canteen)?

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste,

To me Canteen is for fluff. Hinduism related topics have nicely divided sub-forums available. I am not trying to pick on you, but the thread 'Major Canadian Hindu Temples' seems to fit nicely in the Temples sub-forum. Similarly there are other topics which could go into the 'On Dharma' or other similar sub forums. Just a thought.

Pranam.

Namaste ShivaFan, Believer.
    I too agree with Believer's point. We are never sure which forum to pick up for our threads and keep dumping everything in Canteen.
    Perhaps a small FAQ of all the threads in HDF would be helpful, which would help us choose the right thread. Of course, the moderators can move the threads later if they see that a thread doesnt fit the bill.

Namaste,

I made my original post so that people will use their common sense and make posts in the best matched sub-forums. This is not a do or die thing which requires extensive research by the posters or controls by the Mods. Regarding Mods getting involved in this, as I have said before, this website is not run by the Govt. of India with a staff of 50 'babus' and a 'head babu' at taxpayers expense. It is privately run by people who are householders and have full time jobs. They have to fulfill their obligations as spouses, parents, sons, brothers, friends, neighbors and then work full time to sustain themselves and their families and bear the cost of hosting this website. As if that was not enough, they have to arbitrate the warring factions and tolerate the badmouthing that goes on a daily basis about them being irrational and prejudiced. So, give them a break and use your brains to figure out where to post your thoughts. It is ill advised to suggest that the Mods should take on the responsibility of telling people where to post, or to go around moving threads to different sub-forums, as if their lives revolve around this issue. If we are smart enough to make a post here, we should be smart enough to figure out the appropriate sub-forum for that too. No one should have to hold our hands on a daily basis for that simple task. Any more questions or suggestions?

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 12 June 2013 at 09:52 AM.

Namaste
    I dont know what I said that got you so worked up and agitated.
    This is not a government owned site, but still is home to some 3000+ odd members.
    If they have invested so wisely and effectively in HDF, created an entire suite of FAQs, moderating each and every post and thread, validating the threads and forums, even managing an innovative S.A.D.H.U., this was just adding an entry nto the FAQ.

If I would have any further query/suggestion, I would rather make it to moderators(like my earlier post, in which I only agreed with you, the question was for mods), unless of course you become a future mod.

That said, you are such a learned person, why get agitated by simple talks like these.

Om Namah Shivay

Quote Originally Posted by sapansaxena View Post
    Namaste
    I dont know what I said that got you so worked up and agitated.
    This is not a government owned site, but still is home to some 3000+ odd members
    If they have invested so wisely and effectively in HDF, created an entire suite of FAQs, moderating each and every post and thread, validating the threads and forums, even managing an innovative S.A.D.H.U., this was just adding an entry nto the FAQ.

If I would have any further query/suggestion, I would rather make it to moderators(like my earlier post, in which I only agreed with you, the question was for mods), unless of course you become a future mod.

That said, you are such a learned person, why get agitated by simple talks like these.

Om Namah Shivay
    Namaste.

You said it.

I just don't see why misplaced topics can't be reported to moderators and moved to their correct sections.

From personal experience, staff are quite happy with the way things are on here and don't want things to change.

Aum Namah Shivaya

I actually sometimes am myself not very sure of certain topics.
    I feel "Canteen" is a forum where we all can leave our premonitions behind and discuss things lightly.

However ShivaFan's thread "Women Soldiers" I believe deserved another forum as it taregtted something else.
    However, I am not sure which forum it would best fit in..
    India's history?? or some other.

Similarly topic related to ancient Indian knowledge should go to which sub-forum, I am not sure of. I had a topic of the computational powers of Sanskrit, and I scanned all the sub-forums and couldnt find any one which would fit the bill. So, I dropped it in "Canteen"
    Last edited by sapansaxena; 13 June 2013 at 10:40 AM.

Thread Information