View Poll Results: Should Threads Specifically Discussing Caste have it's Own Category?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

7 41.18%
  • NO

10 58.82%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Caste threads have Their Own Section?

Should Caste threads have Their Own Section?

Namaste

Threads that focus on the caste subject were suggested to be posted in the Hot Topics section of the forum (this was suggested in the description of the Hot Topics section).

I think there is only one subject that sinks a Hindu forum into constant jalpa and frankly could shatter a community of like minded Hindus who share so many things in common but for the emotions involved, and it is not other hot topics such as "Who is supreme?", nor women's issues, nor vegetarian verse chicken eaters, nor temples who are "Hindu Only", nor Temples who hire strickly and only Brahmins as pujaris, nor goat offerings to Kali Maa, nor Neo verse whatever even, nor which Upanishad is legit, none of this. Frankly, none of these "hot topics" really are a big deal to 90 % of Hindus no matter what position is taught to you from one school to the next, positions and understanding rarely shift, and it is easy to ignore one thread from the next.

I think the one exception to this is caste. I am not suggesting it should not be allowed as a discussion, all I am suggesting is perhaps it should have it's own section (not a sub-section for example under Hot Topics, but literaly it's own section perhaps replacing the slot held by the SADDHU section which appears either non-functional or dead.

I understand it is unlikely this suggestuon would be implemented but I thought I would suggest it anyway. Why?

Some just want to constantly go into this, and the reason why I am suggesting it have its own section is, it is obvious no one's position on this as taught to them is going to change, it is very unlikely, and I think this subject has already, and fully, and with every angle has been discussed from all positions and everything you could ever want to inquiry about it from every position is there and searchable, nor do I think it needs to be in a jalpa section, but if it has it's own section then those who are adament in always preaching it or countering it can go there and others who are frankly sick of the whole thing and don't like major sections on Devas for example that get nice threads and recent threads buried in these caste focus posts that distract from devotion or temple etc of certain sections, thus the other sections can then be freed to explore more easily the most recent pro-Hindu sharing of worship and such.

Frankly, I am getting a screaming head ache from these caste threads, so if it has it's own section then others can ignore that section entirely while exploring the sections for the Devas, Temples, Philosophy, fun sections such as Canteen and so on and thus avoid or ignore head aches or if you want to post counter position to caste you can also go there and start the thread there. This will help with avoiding a slow death of a forum.

What do you think? Sorry, I hate to suggest this, even doubt others would agree, but ....

Ps - how do you add a "vote for" widget to the post (e.g. Do you think caste threads should have it's own section? Yes or No.)

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: Should Caste threads have Their Own Section?

Namaste ShivaFan,

Please see FAQ for instructions on how to start a poll.

Om Shanti.

Thanks TrikonaBindu, I've added the poll!

Pranam ShivaFan

i voted no, not because i care where the threads are posted but i do not think, wishing it away by burying our head in sand, the varna will disappear from Hindu society. It should not be a source of headache, the system that has stood the test of time what ever its shortcomings in this age of kali.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Greetings,

For a moment, I thought you were suggesting that threads should be divided by caste.
    "Everybody wants to see God but nobody wants to do any sadhana." -- Swami Sivananda
    "You can advance only through karma yoga; by karma yoga you may benefit others also....Only hard work can make a person powerful and energetic." -- Haidakhan Babaji
    "Do everything you do as Śivathondu." -- Yogaswami

Namaste.

I voted 'no' because the 'Hot Topics' forum already exists for this sole purpose:

Hot Topics

Discuss controversial topics here, e.g. Idol worshipping, Caste system, etc.
    Yet, the subject matter in question always winds up in the Jalpa Forum and not the Hot Topics forum!

'Hot Topics' and 'Jalpa Forum' shouldn't exist as separate entities imho, because topics that are 'Hot' usually ends up as 'Jalpa'.

Before casting my vote, I read entries in both sub-fora and noticed the sheer number of closed threads in the Jalpa forum.

I have also read yajvan's translation of Jalpa as being 'playful discussion' but the discussion there is anything but 'playful'. It is more like Vitarka...'fanciful conjecture' or 'deliberate argument'.

As for the Caste System, I have no opinion about it at all as I am a Western convert. It doesn't apply to me whatsoever.

Even if I was born an Indian, I honestly doubt I would believe in it either. I feel it unnecessarily segregates Hindus and it is very discriminatory.
    I am sorry to be blasphemous to the old Hindu Scriptures, but I believe that a lot of the 'old ways' are totally unrealistic and archaic in today's society.

Why should we make a separate forum for this and highlight it for even more heated debate and arguments between people on here? We should all be friends and try to get along.

I'd much prefer if it wasn't discussed at all...but then again, I don't care.

I believe this forum should have a list of forbidden topics that should not be discussed on HDF at all (and clearly displayed in HDF Forum Rules):

Caste System, Vishnu vs Shiva (who is greater), Meat Eating vs Vegetarianism, Women's Issues, Animal Sacrifices, Traditional Hinduism vs Neo Hinduism, 'Hindu Only' Temples and those topics you have already mentioned ...these topics will always get locked and see people banned.

It would make Satay's job a lot easier.

As for the S.A.D.H.U. robot, I am intrigued by that and would like to see it in action and give it a go.

Artificial intelligence is sometimes superior to the real thing.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 08 June 2013 at 09:20 AM.

Namaste All

I think it should be in it's own category since some members want to preach caste (jati birth based only) as a constant drum beat despite this being over worked and over preached and if it were in it's own category then others who enjoy participating in the "Gods" and other sections can stay focused on that subject without yet having another caste "handgrenade" of jalpa takeover the face of the category. If it has it's own section or category or forum, those who want to constantly preach it or argue against it or have a different teaching regarding it can publish their essays in the caste section, so that others who are getting a headache from constant jalpa or fixation on this can visit and participate in other categories and not have it taken over with the rattle of debate already heard many times on this, can choose to dive into it if they wish by swinging over into the caste section if they like, or ignore that section entirely as well, and can enjoy the other sections without feeling that time is wasted in sections that are taken over with controversy. It is true, there is really very few things that involve true controversy, not even the "who is supreme?" question even if it gets action does not bother 90% of Hindus who laugh these petty things off in the end, in fact I would state that it is only the caste issue which truly does raise actual controversy, endless debate, wild claims, divisions, preaching from those who have it as their primary life message, and should be in it's own place and it's own venue for "subject matter experts".

In fact then I could swing in there and publish my 5 page essay on what I am taught on this position (varna verse jati) and let the earth shake with anger (or love!) and those who want to preach pro-caste as a life calling can publish their essays into the same section and let the earth shake with anger(or love!) and others if they choose can ignore the essays of both entirely. Everything anyone ever didn't want to know or ever wanted to know about "caste" would be in one nice birthday box for all the world to open and expose.

Just a thought...

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste.

We could also have a 'sticky' in the Hot Topics Forum about the Caste System and all posts can be placed there, rather than having the topic surface on a regular basis in there and other forums.

That is another idea.

I have made a thread on here suggesting that we would be much better off without certain forums causing all these arguments and fuss anyway.

I'm just as tired of it all as you are and I agree that people should focus and spend more time with other aspects of this forum.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste Necro, i think a sticky perhaps isn't a bad idea either, but might be subject to being thought of as a member's thread rather then the "go to place" to discuss caste. But not bad idea either. I still vote for it's own category, but looks like the votes aren't with me. Nice to see it is a consideration, however.
    Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste Necro, i think a sticky perhaps isn't a bad idea either, but might be subject to being thought of as a member's thread rather then the "go to place" to discuss caste. But not bad idea either. I still vote for it's own category, but looks like the votes aren't with me. Nice to see it is a consideration, however.
    Om Namah Sivaya
    Namaste.

The sticky should be made by Satay or a moderator to show there's no personal bias involved.

Basically, it should only say "All discussions about the Caste System is to be placed in this thread.....go!"

Thank you for giving my idea consideration and I am sorry that your poll isn't going too well for you.

I can see your reasoning and I appreciate it...that if the debate has its own section, people like us can choose to ignore it if we wish.

I just see this creating more problems than it's designed to fix by adding another controversial sub forum on to an overcrowded board where people already have been given too much free reign to debate pointlessly.

Some things are better left alone and unsaid.

That's why I voted 'no' and no disrespect is intended in any way.

With that, I have said all I am going to say on this matter.

Good luck and best wishes with your ideas and your poll.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 08 June 2013 at 12:32 PM.

Thread Information