Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: More Indians have stopped believing in God-A recent survey

Re: More Indians have stopped believing in God-A recent survey

It's also logical to note that Buddhist countries like Japan and China wouldn't believe in God because Buddhism is an Atheist religion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    It is just another symptom of Kali Yuga and as we near the end of it, those statistics will have 0 people believing in God.

Young people are too heavily influenced by the media, their peers, fast foods, video games and Americanism.

Being religious and believing in God is just not 'cool'. I am surprised to see there weren't more confirmed Atheists.
    Atheists are just conformists. They need a stamp of approval from Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins before they can believe in anything. In the same way people in the west used to believe that the earth was flat, modern people blindly believe everything they are told by so called authorities in science and philosophy. Scientists are able to confirm that meditation is good for you and that yoga is beneficial for your health, so atheists will gladly participate and even appropriate these activities. But the subtle achievements of yoga that scientists don't understand or can't perceive will be considered superstition.

It's partially about the arrogance of scientists. When scientists did not know the function of the appendix, they called it a mistake of nature. All atheists rejoiced 'knowing' how flawed the design of the human body is. But now it is known that the appendix does have a function as a place of storage for healthy bacteria in times of stress. As shakespear said, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Many of the ideas of modern science that have been discovered in the west only for the last 200 years were known in ancient India. We Hindus have received a lot of wisdom and knowledge from the Gods. I was just reading in National Geographic how scientists are just discovering how to make medicine out of snake poison. Knowledge of this vidya is indicated in Sanskrit literature to have existed among the ancient Ayurvedic healers. This knowledge came to us through Dhanvantari. The dose of snake poison had to be very precise, otherwise the patient would be killed. The effective healing dose and the deadly dose differs only by a minuscule amount . So how could the ancient Hindus have administered this medicine without the tools of modern science? Atheists can rationalise all they want, but the wisdom the Devas have handed over to us was far more advanced than anything we know today.

The Vaidya could bring Lakshmana out of unconsciousness with his knowledge of the Sanjivani plant in a fraction of a second. Modern doctors have to try to keep coma patients alive and pull the plug if nothing happens. Tell me which science was more advanced.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 13 June 2013 at 12:32 PM.

Also, most of the sacred and religious concepts like Tantra and Yoga have become highly commercialized.
    Pooja rates are defined, they are no longer based on the sanctity of the Pandit. Your next door Pandits wouldnt even know the meaning of verses he has crammed up. For 2-wheeler, 51 Rs, for 4-wheeler-101 Rs, normal pooja-11 Rs minimum. I feel this has also pushed a few of them back

I also wonder how much does the high percentage matter in countries with no religious freedom. When schools here preach hatred against anything that stands against their religion, children will grow up having no rational approach at all.

Our religion is unique in having always encouraged questioning and reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by jignyAsu View Post
    I also wonder how much does the high percentage matter in countries with no religious freedom. When schools here preach hatred against anything that stands against their religion, children will grow up having no rational approach at all.

Our religion is unique in having always encouraged questioning and reasoning.
    Namaste
    Rightly said, they end up being regional fanatics more than followers.
    Prime example is of Pakistan, of course. The percentage here has grown in the last decade

99.09% of those calling themself religious are actually hippocrates. For them religion means argument which means stimulating the mind.

Namaste

I really liked this reply from Sahas, it just rings of wisdom. Basically, scientists have not invented anything but only discovered something that was already there in some form or another. And often the discovery was really a matter of pure luck, being there at the right time in the right place, they "bumped into it". And often, the "scientist" involved in some of the great discoveries wasn't a true academician or lettered scientist at all, but a very common man working out of his small shop, lab or garage and most often a man of God. The Devas have revealed many secrets to humans, which really are right there but we are too limited to see the obvious. Then some human repackages it, calls it an invention, and puts a patent on it for good measure (and profit).

It is true, many do not think of devotionals or Hinduism, or give respects to the Devas and Devi, as this poll may demonstrate, but I am not totally pessimistic even with the Kali Yug upon us... I do notice there is an interest nevertheless by those who are young, and there is a star on the horizon of Hinduism. As society becomes more debase, and more dangerous and more disappointing, those souls who are good find even more incentive to turn to religion for inspiration and in some cases for shelter.

The snake poison reference is personal for me, I take a tiny bit of pit viper or cobra venom everyday for health reasons. From each life, there is a gift if you understand.

Hindus "invented" zero. But as Hinduism is realization, really it was a realization and not an invention. It is neither positive nor negative as one wise member noted. I used to have a dedication I would use in any papers, articles, presentations, etc. which was "I dedicate this to the Man Who invented Zero". Yet, no man invented zero. It always was there. It was only realized, but not invented.

The first science, the foundation of true science, is realization. IMHO.

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Atheists are just conformists. They need a stamp of approval from Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins before they can believe in anything. In the same way people in the west used to believe that the earth was flat, modern people blindly believe everything they are told by so called authorities in science and philosophy. Scientists are able to confirm that meditation is good for you and that yoga is beneficial for your health, so atheists will gladly participate and even appropriate these activities. But the subtle achievements of yoga that scientists don't understand or can't perceive will be considered superstition.

It's partially about the arrogance of scientists. When scientists did not know the function of the appendix, they called it a mistake of nature. All atheists rejoiced 'knowing' how flawed the design of the human body is. But now it is known that the appendix does have a function as a place of storage for healthy bacteria in times of stress. As shakespear said, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Many of the ideas of modern science that have been discovered in the west only for the last 200 years were known in ancient India. We Hindus have received a lot of wisdom and knowledge from the Gods. I was just reading in National Geographic how scientists are just discovering how to make medicine out of snake poison. Knowledge of this vidya is indicated in Sanskrit literature to have existed among the ancient Ayurvedic healers. This knowledge came to us through Dhanvantari. The dose of snake poison had to be very precise, otherwise the patient would be killed. The effective healing dose and the deadly dose differs only by a minuscule amount . So how could the ancient Hindus have administered this medicine without the tools of modern science? Atheists can rationalise all they want, but the wisdom the Devas have handed over to us was far more advanced than anything we know today.

The Vaidya could bring Lakshmana out of unconsciousness with his knowledge of the Sanjivani plant in a fraction of a second. Modern doctors have to try to keep coma patients alive and pull the plug if nothing happens. Tell me which science was more advanced.
    Last edited by ShivaFan; 14 June 2013 at 06:04 PM.

It is interesting that atheists have actually decreased. Not that I have a problem with all atheists. It's only the militant kind that make my ears hurt when I listen to them. Bleh...

Thread Information