Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Indians have stopped believing in God-A recent survey

Re: More Indians have stopped believing in God-A recent survey

Quote Originally Posted by sapansaxena View Post
    Maybe you are right, in countries where existence is pleasant, you get lesser time for sadhana/prayer.
    However, why would this make people believe they are less religious, is inexplicable
    Pranams.

Material development is not the cause for atheism. Our history talks about very prosperous kingdoms like Ayodhya etc which were rich in gold, grains, animals, rain etc but were devoid of atheists. Even till recent times, India was rich in material comforts before the invaders took them away. Our Vedic culture kept spirituality and materialism in balance giving ample opportunities for spirituality to develop. Even the most materialistic person would worship in the morning, work(with dharma) in afternoon and indulge in pleasures in the evening.

I think the spread of western culture can be held as a primary cause. With its spread comes indiscriminate indulgance in the name of freedom and much importance to skin show etc. with the movies and music only fueling it. When the mind is involved in uncontrolled material pleasures with food steeped only in sins, where is the chance of spirituality to develop?

Even those who take up to so called spirituality or meditation have had their senses indulging in all unhealthy habits all their lives. But for us, the pre-req was clear - athAto Brahma jignyAsA - having lead a disciplined Vedic life.

[quote=sapansaxena;104547]So, you want to say that young people in late teens and early twenties of previous decade were more religious than now?
    But, in recent days, I have seen religious ideas and spirituality on a rise. Books like Immortals of Meluha and serials like Devon ke Dev Mahadev are a hit among young generation as well. Maybe that has got to do with the marketability of these stuff, but they increase awareness neverthless[/quote]

It's hard to say. I see mixed messages all around. I think the younger generation is a little lost. I think many of them feel a pull towards exploring their inner world and their faith, but the push from the outside towards material and sensual pleasure is constant. I think what happens is many younger people brush of their faith because it's "uncool", but depending on how well they mature, many (like myself) are drawn back and see it with new eyes.

I think what I see happening is a gradual abandonment of organized religion, and a shift towards a non-theistic spirituality. There will always be things that science cannot explain, and people will need a framework for understanding those things (or attempting to understand) and faith is the only thing that provides that. So, it may fade, but it will never disappear entirely.

Shanti
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namaste,

I believe a number of factors are at work here- one being the age
    at which the "size of the world" is enlarged... today, there are few
    children of school age who have their world defined solely by their family
    and immediate community; and thus, exposure to culture which promotes
    faddishness and envy for the sake of selling things occurs much earlier
    in the formative years. Promoting discontent is a well-worn tactic by those
    who care only for making a profit. The expression "Misery loves company"
    also comes to mind.

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Vannakkam:

I think the idea of religiousness varies greatly from culture to culture, east to west, place to place. Some cultures might believe going to a house of worship once a week is religious, whereas others it's once a day. So how many hours a week you spend on religion (discounting the idea that work is worship) might provide some greater insight to surveys like this rather than just the question "Do you consider yourself religious?"

Aum Namasivaya

This is the way the world is supposed to turn, further away from Dharma.

Many good questions have been raised here, the first about industry and developed nations, another about the very definition of being religious...and most importantly...Do how do we feel ...are we religious?

These are very good things to think about and i want to honor that with my own question.

How in this time of Kaliyug can we be always mindful and diligent of nuturing religious/Dharmic thoughts and behavior? How can we propagate this Dharma for the future?

I remember back to the seed of Bhakti, which i was given...and i did nuture in my very young years.

Perhaps our children are the key to keeping those precious few religious people as the world enters the final times of this era.

So today there are thousands and perhaps millions of Dharmic folks...and someday this will only be a handful.

Make sure that your progeny are in that Beloved Handful. <3

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post

How in this time of Kaliyug can we be always mindful and diligent of nuturing religious/Dharmic thoughts and behavior?

I firmly believe that in almost all cases of "changing the hearts and minds of the people" you can do it no other way than by example. You have to live it, and live it openly. You also have to be receptive to curious minds and answer a sincere question whenever asked with patience. Make sure people leave with a positive feeling about Hinduism, should the subject come up.

I think railing against diminishing faith only serves to hurry it along. Live the truths you believe and let it play out.

I'll admit that seeing Hinduism diminish within India is sad, even for an 'outsider' like me. But I also know there's very little I can do about it. Still, I strengthen my resolve by making sure I'm doing what I need to do to live according to Dharma.

Shanti
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Liberation in kali yuga is easy to achieve, only people have become mentally confused atheists. It's like yamaraja is applying to rules of supply and demand. In satya yuga everyone wants liberation, so the price is high. In kali yuga you can get it for a bargain, so take advantage.

My question is, we being here, and posting here; replying to posts, definitely come under the 81% hood.
    Cant we do something in this regard.
    I am aware that most of my married friends dont visit temples or have a small model temple at home. They specifically say they dont consider themselves religious, and when they will become parents, the teachings will reflect on kids.

Its not just about them, its about Indian sub-continent as whole. THough, as I earlier said, stuff like Immortals of Meluha and "Devon ke Dev" are bringing some of them back

Quote Originally Posted by sapansaxena View Post
    My question is, we being here, and posting here; replying to posts, definitely come under the 81% hood.
    Cant we do something in this regard.
    Sure we can! By starting with ourselves.

We stop suggesting that KRshNa was "raised to divine status" implying He was just an extraordinary intelligent and pleasing mortal, who was "raised to that status after the fact.

This way

a) our [otherwise wonderful] thread [that glorifies Him nicely] does not get moved by moderator from VaishNav to canteen
    b) we do not sow such seeds in the heads of vulnerable children around us.

This acc. to me is one of the most dangerous and contagious ways to spread atheism.

Please don't take this personally Sapanji. I also hope you will see some humor in the answer along with the serious message.

_/\_

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya
    Last edited by smaranam; 13 June 2013 at 03:29 AM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Sure we can! By starting with ourselves.

We stop suggesting that KRshNa was "raised to divine status" implying He was just an extraordinary intelligent and pleasing mortal, who was "raised to that status after the fact.

This way

a) our [otherwise wonderful] thread [that glorifies Him nicely] does not get moved by moderator from VaishNav to canteen
    b) we do not sow such seeds in the heads of vulnerable children around us.

This acc. to me is one of the most dangerous and contagious ways to spread atheism.

Please don't take this personally Sapanji. I also hope you will see some humor in the answer along with the serious message.

_/\_

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya
    Namaste

Not at all, I am sure a lot of people see logic in what I wrote.
    Regarding your point a) its great that you read the thread and consider it wonderful...in religionforums, it was rated 5 stars.
    Regarding b) I dont think the post is being read by vulnerable children. And I dont think posts like those can reduce "religiousness" in a person.
    I asked for a generic answer, and you decided to quote one of my posts instead. Because of the great sages and saints that have been my ancestors, I choose to ignore the personal pinpointing and laugh at the humour.
    The question still remains, and lingers...otherwise we may see it dropping further to lower percentages in future to come
    Last edited by sapansaxena; 13 June 2013 at 04:39 AM.

Thread Information