Thread: Mantra Chanting

Mantra Chanting

Namaste HDF,

Hopefully the next few questions will be ones that anyone will be comfortable in answering.
    I recently joined a Facebook group dedicated to the worship of Shri Ganesha. The founder of this group has made another group where we can keep track of the days we perform Shri Ganesha puja; in my case, I have the murthi of Shri Ganesha but not the other necessary materials to perform puja (due to lack of car it's hard for me to get to an Indian grocery store ), so the group founder said I could simply use the group to keep track of days I chant mantras to Shri Ganesha.

I haven't been initiated into any particular mantra by a guru, so I chant "Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha." All this said, I do have some questions.

• I remember it being mentioned in one scripture that mantra chanting is the way to reach God during Kali Yuga; which scripture is this and where can I find it?
    • I usually mentally keep track of how many times I recite the mantra aloud; is this a bad practice? I ask because I keep hearing about other methods to keep track.
    • The way this group keeps track of pujas/mantra chantings to Shri Ganesha is by posting our mantra once a day to the picture of Shri Ganesha that has the tag of our name; does this itself confer any special benefit, other than being a good way of keeping track?

I mainly joined this group because I thought it would be a good way to remind myself every day to give some time to Shri Ganesha. It's as good a way as any, right?

Re: Mantra Chanting

Namaste WebImpulse

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    I remember it being mentioned in one scripture that mantra chanting is the way to reach God during Kali Yuga; which scripture is this and where can I find it?
    There are many places in shAstra (scriptures) that this is mentioned - one is the Bhagvat PurAN (all over Bhagvat, bhagvad-nAm is glorified -

SB 12.5.52 Whatever result was obtained in Satya-yuga by meditating on Viṣṇu, in Tretā-yuga by performing sacrifices, and in Dvāpara-yuga by serving the Lord's lotus feet can be obtained in Kali-yuga simply by kirtan (chanting and singing the names and glories of the Lord).

SB 12.5.51 My dear King, although kali yuga is an ocean of faults, there is still one good quality about this age: Simply by chanting KRshNa's names (krshNasya kIrtanAt) and glories, one can become free from material bondage and be promoted to the transcendental kingdom.

, also VishNu and Padma purAN, but I am sure many other purAN like Skanda purAN and GaNesh purAN should mention the same.

Kali SantarNa Upanishad talks specifically of Kali Yuga dharma and the MahaMantra -
    Hare Ram Hare RAm RAm RAm Hare Hare
    Hare KRshNa Hare KRshNa KRshNa KRshNa Hare Hare

For Shri GaNesh, His devotees here would know. Eastern Mind is one I know. One stotra (hymn) that is popular is GaNapati Atharvasheersha but you need not worry about it.

I usually mentally keep track of how many times I recite the mantra aloud; is this a bad practice? I ask because I keep hearing about other methods to keep track.
    Best is to use a japa mAlA - a necklace of 108 beads and a "Meru" bead in the centre that is just a marker to note completion of a round - we do not chant on the Meru.

If you don't have a Tulasi mAlA or rudrAksha mAlA, you can make your own using any beads from a local craft store.

You can also use fingers to count, but it takes a percentage of yr attention.

Next in preference is stones, seeds anything.

The way this group keeps track of pujas/mantra chantings to Shri Ganesha is by posting our mantra once a day to the picture of Shri Ganesha that has the tag of our name; does this itself confer any special benefit, other than being a good way of keeping track?
    The benefit is sAdhu sanga, as you have already noted. Association of devotees, like-minded spiritual practitioners, that motivates one to keep going, be regular, never miss a day, stay disciplined, take interest...

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya
    Last edited by smaranam; 13 June 2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added verses from BhAgvat
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

"Best is to use a japa mAlA - a necklace of 108 beads and a "Meru" bead in the centre that is just a marker to note completion of a round - we do not chant on the Meru.

If you don't have a Tulasi mAlA or rudrAksha mAlA, you can make your own using any beads from a local craft store"

I like what Smaranam says about japa mala, quoted above.

... in addition to Rudraksha and Tulsi, some devotees of Hanuman also use beads of Red Coral. These type of beads have power, presence, shakti in them, and simply touching the bead while chanting is a tirtha or doorway to communion. It is not only the ability of tracking the count (108 per round) but elevates the experience itself. I would think you would definetly add japa beads to your practice of mantra to Ganesha! Why not?

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    I recently joined a Facebook group dedicated to the worship of Shri Ganesha.
    Namaste Webimpulse,

If you think it is appropriate, please share by post or PM the Facebook address of the Ganesha bhaktas.

Om gam ganapataye namah

Mahadeva Smaranam OM namah shivaya
    Mrtyunjayaya rudraya neelakanthaya shambhave
    Amrteshaya sarvaya mahadevaya te namah

Thread Information