Thread: Am I too serious? or just only feel alone? about Hindu sect

Am I too serious? or just only feel alone? about Hindu sect

Namaste all,

I think I am too serious or not? about the sect that I'm practicing now. I like in Shaktism way which is worshipping Devi as supreme god.
    But mostly Shaktism usually worship Lord Durga, Kali, Pavatri, Uma (Amman) as primary but I think I rather connect with Goddess Saraswathi because I have an experience with her. So I worship her as primary with Lord Ganesh and Lord Brahma. I also pray to Goddess Amman, Goddess durga and Kali too but that's up to the occassion. Such as when I go to Hindu temple, I usually worship them because I have no image or murti of them at home. When many people talk about Shaktism. Why don't they refer much to Goddess Saraswathi? But they talk more in other form of Devi instead.
    I love all form of Devi and also believe every deity is equal and every deity is Brahman. They are same. So I also worship other deity too. I love to learn Dharma from Upanishads too. I'm going to study more about Devi purana also

Am I too serious in the sectarian? or I am just only feel alone??

Thank you for answering my question.

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti
    Last edited by Jeff08; 23 June 2013 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Change the word from Lord to Goddess in Devi name
    Om Sri Saraswatiya Namah

Re: Am I too serious? or just only feel alone? about Hindu sect

Namaste Jeff,

'Shakta' means one who worships 'Shakti' (wife of Shiva) in one of many forms of her such as Durga, Parvathi, Kaumari, Meenakshi, Kamakshi and so forth.. Shakta tradition does not involve worshiping Saraswathi since she is not a form of 'Shakti'. But worshiping Saraswathi alone is not incorrect, she will bestow greatest knowledge and wisdom on a devotee. There has been one great poet 'Ottakoothar' in Tamil Nadu who had ma Saraswathi as his ishta devata. There is a temple for Ma Saraswathi in Tamil Nadu - Koothanur Mahasaraswathi Amman temple.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Sri Mathre Namaha,

Namaste,

Viraja Ji - I would like to differ with your definition of 'Shakta'. May I know if this is your understanding or if it is from a Valid source?

The primary Devi form worshiped by a Shakta is his or her ishta-devi. The selection of this deity can depend on many factors, including family tradition, regional practice, guru lineage, personal resonance and so on. There are literally thousands of goddess forms, many of them associated with particular temples, geographic features or even individual villages. Nonetheless, several highly popular goddess forms are known and worshiped throughout the Hindu world, and virtually every female deity in Hinduism is believed to be a manifestation of one or more of these "basic" forms. The best-known benevolent goddesses of popular Hinduism include:

Adi Para Shakthi, Lalitha, Kali, Lakshmi, Saraswathi, Ganga, Bala, Durga, Radha, Kameswari etc...

In the Devi-Bhagavata Purana, a central Shakta scripture, the Devi declares:
    "I am Manifest Divinity, Unmanifest Divinity, and Transcendent Divinity. I am Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, as well as Saraswati, Lakshmi and Parvati. I am the Sun and I am the Stars, and I am also the Moon. I am all animals and birds, and I am the outcaste as well, and the thief. I am the low person of dreadful deeds, and the great person of excellent deeds. I am Female, I am Male, and I am Neuter.

Of course, I can understand that you might have quoted with reference to your understanding of Sri Kula and Kali Kula, but that would put Jeff08 under confusion.

Those who worship Saraswathi as their principle devata are in deed Shakthas.

Jeff08 - You are under the correct path, have no 2 minds , continue to worship divine mother in the form of Saraswathi.

Devi in her avatar of Maha Saraswathi did more than Maha Kali and Maha Lakshmi in the Chandi Saptashati. Infact for the majority of the portion of Chandi Sapthasati, it is Maha Saraswathi who is the presiding deity.

Regards.
    Sivoham

That, which is the cause for the entire Cosmos to be as it is, is Mahamaya the divine player.

Rameeshh

This is interesting - If Saraswati isn't a manifestation of Shakti, to what other major Hindu tradition would she belong?
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sri Mathre Namaha,

Viraja ji, here comes the question and confusion that I was talking about in my previous post. Moderators have not yet posted it as I'm a new member and my posts require a check before getting published.

Just like Vaishnavas having Rama, Krishna, Narasimha, Hayagriva etc... as their Ishta Devathas, Shaktas can have Lakshmi, Saraswathi, Durga etc... as their Ishta Devathas. But they are still Shaktas. It all depends on individual choice. Essence is same.

Regards.
    Sivoham

That, which is the cause for the entire Cosmos to be as it is, is Mahamaya the divine player.

Rameeshh

By Shakta tradition, what is popularly associated is the fierce forms of Shakti.

I am not sure if I am incorrect in my former definition, however Wiki lists the following as the definition of Shakta tradition:

"Shaktism views the Devi as the source, essence and substance of virtually everything in creation, seen or unseen, including Shiva himself. In the Devi-Bhagavata Purana, a central Shakta scripture, the Devi declares:
    "I am Manifest Divinity, Unmanifest Divinity, and Transcendent Divinity. I am Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, as well as Saraswati, Lakshmi and Parvati. I am the Sun and I am the Stars, and I am also the Moon. I am all animals and birds, and I am the outcaste as well, and the thief. I am the low person of dreadful deeds, and the great person of excellent deeds. I am Female, I am Male, and I am Neuter."[11]"

But by the above definition, even worship of Vishnu is 'Shaktism' as Devi declares herself to be Vishnu too.

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    By Shakta tradition, what is popularly associated is the fierce forms of Shakti.
    So Virajaji, do you mean say that Bala, Lalitha,TripuraSundari are all fierce forms of Shakti?

There is a Sri Kula and there is also a Kali Kula. Paths are different but the goal is Same.

Saraswathi is just not that docile lady clad in white sitting on a swan, doing a rosary and playing veena. She is the Adya Shakthi and Moola Prakrithi. Infact, as per Devi Mahatmya, Devi as Maha Saraswathi was more dynamic in killing Demons when compared to lakshmi or Kali.
    Sivoham

Rameeshh

Namaste,

First, to Jeff08- I certainly don't think you are being too sectarian;
    I have not met any devotees of Lord Vishnu or Lord Shiva who
    expressed dismay at my devotion to Maa Durga, or told me I should not
    be a Shakta. Also, not to criticize, as I understand that many in your
    country use the word "Lord" to refer to both male and female deities,
    but common English wording/translation will use "Lord" for male deities, and
    "Goddess" "Devi", "Maa", etc. for female deities. I mention this only to
    help you and others reading your posts to understand, so that there is less
    confusion or misunderstanding.

Also, if you are not already familiar with it, I suggest investigating what is
    commonly called the "Vak Sukta", as it is the first plain Vedic reference to
    Devi, and Devi Vak ("vak" means "speech") is today thought of as Maa Saraswati

To Viraja- Your first definition is incorrect in being incomplete; there
    are Shaktas whose sadhana could be described in this way, but "Shakta"
    is a wider umbrella; consider the sampradayas which focus on the gentler
    "soumya" rupas of Devi- Sri Lalita Tripurasundari, etc. rather than only
    the "fierce" forms of Devi.

In any case, it is always nice to see some Shakta-oriented discussion for
    me- there being much more commonly found Vaishnava- or Shaiva-oriented
    topics, generally speaking

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Namaste everyone,

Thank you every comments to answer my confusion question.

First, to Jeff08- I certainly don't think you are being too sectarian;
    I have not met any devotees of Lord Vishnu or Lord Shiva who
    expressed dismay at my devotion to Maa Durga, or told me I should not
    be a Shakta. Also, not to criticize, as I understand that many in your
    country use the word "Lord" to refer to both male and female deities,
    but common English wording/translation will use "Lord" for male deities, and
    "Goddess" "Devi", "Maa", etc. for female deities. I mention this only to
    help you and others reading your posts to understand, so that there is less
    confusion or misunderstanding.

Also, if you are not already familiar with it, I suggest investigating what is
    commonly called the "Vak Sukta", as it is the first plain Vedic reference to
    Devi, and Devi Vak ("vak" means "speech") is today thought of as Maa Saraswati
    I've just edit the word already after I read your post. Thank you for the information. And I'm sorry about using word could make misunderstading. I also go to see Vak Sukta. That makes more sense to me now.

In my view, I see every Devi is the energy of universe
    Devi Saraswathi --> The knowledge, wisdom and sense
    Devi Laksami --> The weath ,prosperity
    Devi Pavatri --> The Power, Creation and Victory of Good over Evil.

So, I believe and worship them and also another goddess such ask Devi ganga. And worship every deity as equal to be one; Brahman.
    But as my experience, I feel more concentrate in Devi Saraswathi because I am student now too.

I hope in my view is still correct path.
    Thank you again for every recommendation from everyone

Om Shanti
    Om Sri Saraswatiya Namah

Thank you, Kriyarameeshh and JaiMaa, I stand corrected .

Thank you both for the wonderful explanation, it not only would have helped Jeff but also me too.

Regards.

Thread Information