Thread: Preparing to visit the mandir

Preparing to visit the mandir

Namaste.
    I say I am "preparing" to visit the mandir for a few reasons...the first is that the mandir that will be closest to me is new and still under construction so I will need to wait until it is completed. Another reason is that it will be my first time visiting a mandir in person so I have a bit of initial nervousness...will anyone think that a young Western/white woman like me is insincere/wanting "attention"/there to try to meet Indian men/etc?...but I know that will all melt away when I am in the presence of the Lord

I believe although I am not certain that this particular mandir is in more of the Caribbean/West Indian style which I am actually more familiar with (through internet streams and so on.) The one thing I was wondering about was an appropriate dress code. I have no problem with wearing a sari (and I have received instruction on how to drape it properly so that is not an issue) but would it be better to stay with conservative Western clothing? I know all the other rules of respect like sit with other women, remove shoes and so on.
    Thank you so much for any advice or encouragement
    "Faith is to believe what you do not see. Faith's reward is to see what you believed." -Swami Chinmayananda

Re: Preparing to visit the mandir

Quote Originally Posted by revati9 View Post
    Namaste.
    I say I am "preparing" to visit the mandir for a few reasons...the first is that the mandir that will be closest to me is new and still under construction so I will need to wait until it is completed. Another reason is that it will be my first time visiting a mandir in person so I have a bit of initial nervousness...will anyone think that a young Western/white woman like me is insincere/wanting "attention"/there to try to meet Indian men/etc?...but I know that will all melt away when I am in the presence of the Lord

I believe although I am not certain that this particular mandir is in more of the Caribbean/West Indian style which I am actually more familiar with (through internet streams and so on.) The one thing I was wondering about was an appropriate dress code. I have no problem with wearing a sari (and I have received instruction on how to drape it properly so that is not an issue) but would it be better to stay with conservative Western clothing? I know all the other rules of respect like sit with other women, remove shoes and so on.
    Thank you so much for any advice or encouragement
    Vannakkam: You should have no problem. There is a nice link in this thread. http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthr...g+Hindu+temple about visiting a temple for the first time.

You could wear a sari, but at some temples that may be seen as overdoing it, so I'd recommend just going conservatively the first time until you see how others there dress. Salwar Kameez is more common in many North Indian style congregations, and that includes the Caribbean ones.

Normally Hindus are very accepting of new people, regardless of color. Still we're sometimes busy worshipping to be overly friendly, and most Hindus are sort of shy.

Best wishes on it. There have been several threads on HDF about this, and you can probably find more info by searching too.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste revati9,

Go with whatever you feel comfortable with, conservative western clothes, sari, salwar-kameez or kameez with a churidaar pajama**. Wearing traditional Indian clothes does project a higher degree of attachment to Hinduism and the desire to embrace Hindu culture. But what matters the most is the sincerity of heart and a cheerful attitude. You don't have to spend your monthly allowance on temple clothes for your first visit. But, if you can afford to, it would be better if you did. I would not pay much attention to this distinction of South/North Indian style temple or Indian/West Indian style temple for deciding what to wear. It is what YOU feel comfortable with.

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...5&postcount=15

**churidaar pajama
    https://www.google.com/search?q=chur...w=1255&bih=531

Pranam.

Many thanks to both of you for your advice and support
    "Faith is to believe what you do not see. Faith's reward is to see what you believed." -Swami Chinmayananda

Thread Information