Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tattoos

Re: Tattoos

Namaste.

Well, I have decided to get another tattoo today (to join my other tattoo of a pentagram).

It will be either on the same shoulder or opposite shoulder and will look something like this:

Aum Namah Shivaya

But what if someone gets for example a Mantra or an om tattoo as a way to show his/her devotion towards the gods? This person takes the pain, to please them, to show how important they are in this person's life.
    "... And you will Come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that ' s imagined , all unconceivable. Just let the light touch you, let the words spill through, let them pass right through, bringing out our hope and reason.

We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Sadhaka View Post
    But what if someone gets for example a Mantra or an om tattoo as a way to show his/her devotion towards the gods? This person takes the pain, to please them, to show how important they are in this person's life.
    Can you point me to any śāstra or āgama that supports this point of view? I would be interested in reviewing it. I myself look to the śrīmad bhāgavad gītā , 17th chapter 5th & 6th verse:

aśāstravihitaṃ ghoraṃ tapyante ye tapo janāḥ |
    dambhāhaṃkārasaṃyuktāḥ kāmarāgabalānvitāḥ ||

karṣayantaḥ śarīrasthaṃ bhūtagrāmam acetasaḥ
    māṃ caivāntaḥśarīrasthaṃ tān viddhy āsuraniścayān ||

I will let you look up this śloka and consider what it says in full; yet for me ( only) I view tattoo's as
    karṣayantaḥ śarīrasthaṃ - 'tormenting one's own body'. From where will the devata-s find joy in this?

इतिशिवं
    iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Yajvan Ji,

I have no opinion on Tattoos. I have seen traditional tattoos in tribal cultures, mantras done by monks for protection where its in no way for decoration , and the world of fashion. Personally I would only like a dharmic tattoo in the heart/mind so as not to forget.

But I would like to understand what it means by torturing the body and the tapasya. In many stories and throughout history there are many accounts of yogis and sadhakas doing tapasya. Extreme I think is easy to work out and also indulgence is easy to work out as not being the way. As Siddharta realized this when he saw someone fixing and tuning the vena. Also there are other accounts of rewards due to tapasya. Tapasya seems to have two meanings, one of restraint and another that seems to aid meditation and purification of mind with the raising of tapas in mental or psychic heat other time known as tejas.

But we have to give up somethings, also go against the grain, many times I have heard about ,at least in initial stages its like swimming up the stream or going against the grain.

Maybe if you have time you could share your thoughts on the middle way or the right balance between restraint and indulgence.

Pranam

Namaste Orlando,
    Those look amazing especially Bhagwan Kirshna full body!
    satay

Thread Information