Thread: Navagraha

Light Navagraha

Hare Krishna to all!

(1) Does anyone make ishta devta of these astrological planets? I have come across people making Lord Surya and Lord Shani their main deities and that main stream deities are somewhat link to these grahas.

(2) Does worshipping these grahas make one aspect of life strong as per astrological rules?

Thank you

Re: Navagraha

Hi,
    I would like to solve your doubts. Indian ancient astronomers determined early about the vedic astrology ie, a man's time deals with the arrangements of the nine planets and it is proved by many people . So that many people are following the vedic astrology and having lots of hope about Lord Sani and worshiping him in order to make their life healthy and strong.

Hi Haris,

thanks for the reply. However, what about the remaining Grahas? Do people make them their ishta devta?

Quote Originally Posted by twista88 View Post
    Hi Haris,

thanks for the reply. However, what about the remaining Grahas? Do people make them their ishta devta?
    Namaste.

Not that I actually know much about this at all, mind you.

I worship Shani (Saturn) in the form of Kala Bhairava and His associated Yantra.

Shani is retrograde in Pisces in my natal chart and in the 3rd house. The planet has been holding me back for a while.

It's not that I worship the planet Saturn, but worshiping Lord Bhairava has the same effect.

I have heard that the planet, Jupiter is akin to the Guru (both personal Guru and Divine Guru), so by doing Guru Puja, you are also worshiping Jupiter.

People worship Surya every time the chant Gayatri mantra and some make Surya Deva their Ishta Devata.

The nodes of Rahu and Ketu were formed when Lord Vishnu, in the feminine form of Mohini, was distributing Soma among the Gods, and a Demon (forgets name) hid among the Gods to obtain the Soma and become immortal.

When Lord Vishnu realised what had happened, He assumed His original form and used Sudarshan Chakra to decapitate the Demon. Because the Demon was already immortal, his head became Rahu and his body became Ketu.

Mostly, the planets are not worshiped as individual Deities and are not personal Gods....although a God may be associated with a particular planet (like in my case).

They are worshiped as a whole during prayers and Pujas using mantras like the following (one of my favourites):

Brahma Murari Tripurantkari, Bhanu, Shashi, Bhumiputro, Budhashcha, Gurushcha, Shukrah, Shani, Rahu, Ketwah, Sarweh Graha Shanti Kara Bhawantu.

The worshiping of the Grahas doesn't make one's life stronger, more like it is to remove any negative influence those planets may exert on the life and to remove obstacles to achievement.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste twista88

Have you considered this?
    BG 9.23
    ye 'py anya-devatā-bhaktā
    yajante śraddhayānvitāḥ
    te 'pi mām eva kaunteya
    yajanty avidhi-pūrvakam
    Those who are devotees of other gods and who worship them with faith actually worship only Me, O son of Kuntī, but their doing so is avidhipUrvakam (pl. find a translation for this word in orange from your prefered Bhagavad Gita).

and this?
    BG 9.25
    yānti deva-vratā devān
    pitṝn yānti pitṛ-vratāḥ
    bhūtāni yānti bhūtejyā
    yānti mad-yājino 'pi mām

Those who worship the devas will take birth among the devas; those who worship the ancestors go to the ancestors; those who worship ghosts and spirits will take birth among such beings; and those who worship Me will live with Me.

And these ?

BG 4.11: As all surrender unto Me, I reward them accordingly. Everyone follows My path in all respects, O son of Pṛthā.

BG 4.12: Men in this world desire success in fruitive activities, and therefore they worship the demigods. Quickly, of course, men get results from fruitive work in this world.

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ~
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thread Information