Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying Meat for Others

Re: Buying Meat for Others

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    If you are practising vegetarianism
    Let me assist if I can... what is being practiced is ahiṁsā and has been reviewed on multiple occasions. By being vegetarian one is applying ahiṁsā to one's actions.

Ahiṁsā is doing no harm. Yet what of preventing harm to others ? And not enabling harm to come ?

praṇām

यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Yajvanji,

Ahiṁsā is doing no harm. Yet what of preventing harm to others ? And not enabling harm to come ?
    I didn't understand the above statements.
    what is being practiced is ahiṁsā and has been reviewed on multiple occasions
    I use insecticide like mosquito repellent etc etc and the food we eat has to cross variety of pesticide. I understand that the topic Ahimsa has been discussed in the past. Could you please give me the link. I never understood the difference between Self defense and Ahimsa.

N.B. Have turned into a vegetarian but feed my kid a medicine prepared from the goat's liver.
    Anirudh...

Namaste,

I have a few important questions:

i) My husband says there aren't enough plant food, if the whole world chooses to go vegetarian, is this right?

ii) Should meat-eating be really advocated to some of the people, because they need the nutrients from meat for them to put up with very hard labour..

Many of us are of the view that the notion of vegetarianism as being applicable to entire world is not truly what its meant to be - that many of us are supposed to go non-vegetarian 'cause the environment doesn't support all of us going vegetarian. Is that so?
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

I have a few important questions:

i) My husband says there aren't enough plant food, if the whole world chooses to go vegetarian, is this right?

ii) Should meat-eating be really advocated to some of the people, because they need the nutrients from meat for them to put up with very hard labour..

Many of us are of the view that the notion of vegetarianism as being applicable to entire world is not truly what its meant to be - that many of us are supposed to go non-vegetarian 'cause the environment doesn't support all of us going vegetarian. Is that so?
    Vannakkam: The first point is clearly wrong. Animals are very poor middle men when it comes to protein. For example, if much of the land in America now used to grow corn for cattle feed and ethanol production was put into soybeans, chickpeas, and other dals, it would increase protein productivity by at least 5.

That you need meat for heavy labour, or cold weather is also a myth. there is nothing 'special' nutritionally in meat.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post

The focus of the researchers in this age is towards healthy body only instead of healthy body, mind and soul. After all what do animals acheive with health only at the end of the life?

Today's lack of food and nutrients is also to be blamed on adharmic activities and unbalanced minds only with the increase in chemicals, pollution, genetic alteration, greed, deforestation, unhealthy living style etc. In spite of all this quite a few vegetarians with balanced living and self control are very healthy.

In the name of scientific research, more and more spiritually harmful activities will be promoted in the guise of doing good -

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1342532

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Could you please give me the link. I never understood the difference between Self defense and Ahimsa.
    If I perform a search within HDF on ahiṁsā I get multiple strings to look at. I have shown two below ( out of many offerings) ; please try this for yourself. It is good to get proficient at this and it's quite useful.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...Bs%26%23257%3B

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...Bs%26%23257%3B

praṇām
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Thanks for the wonderful explanation and time you spent to identify those two links. I had to read it few times before understanding it. HDF has some thing or other to offer when I am trouble.
    Anirudh...

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

...a fair exchange is no robbery, says vimalananda-ji. I ask the HDF reader what did the cow or pig or chicken get in return that keeps the transaction fair ?

iti śiva
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

I ask the HDF reader what did the cow or pig or chicken get in return that keeps the transaction fair ?
    Namaste Yajvanji,

On many occasions I couldn't understand your statements like in this case. Are you asking me to contribute as much I consume from the forum?

One way of contribution could be appreciate every thing I read, but that becomes monotonous after some time. I am not well read, but life has taught me quite a few things. In fact the learning hasn't come to an end and it wont either. If I start narrating the lessons here it will be either self trumpeting or giving more personal details in a public forum. When I try filter out my personal details from the lessons I learnt and post it as my contribution, they become worthless to post. I mean the intensity is lost some where in the editing.

I see Bhagwaan from a different angle. To me he is real who stays with me all along. He appears in the form of you or Shivafan or any other passer by. And my understanding might not be in accordance with Shastra's or Shruthis or Smruthis or what ever.

When we say something out of our experience that we firmly believe as the answer to the question that was made, some member from no where drops in and try to act like a moderator. I am not against fair criticism but not for harsh words which would provoke.

I stopped posting for about few months because of an unnecessary intervention from a member out here (who is not even a moderator) in harsh words. The irony was the same member in the past had been making similar kind of posts in different context. Are we suppose to engage ourselves in war of words?.

So let me know in what ways an ordinary person like me can contribute to the forum other than being a passive reader and occasionally getting his queries answered.

It is not out bursts of a pent up anger but a genuine carefully drafted question. So kindly don't treat this as an emotional outburst.
    Anirudh...

Namaste.

I am going to provide a 'what if?' scenario.

What if you are, or have recently become, a vegetarian, but you own a pet...say a cat who won't eat vegetables?

Then you give the cat a tin of cat food to keep the poor animal alive....

I am in that situation.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thread Information