Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meditation Dificulties

Meditation Dificulties

So, It all started one day when me and my friend sat down opposite each other cross legged, and half for the hell of it, half curious, we began to chant the om sound:

My freind having very little background information on what we were doing at all, and me having slightly more knowledge not that it matters?, my Ganesha idol was on the windowsill having an epic sunset behind him.
    What happened next, I think is halfway to meditation and halfway to a lucid dream, because me and my friend, who went from knowing nothing, to knowing this:

We we're chanting om one moment, then the next we were in the cosmos, in pure bliss, there was a big Ganesha in the sky only it was like 5dimensions, around me, within me, and also a part of me, it was at that moment me and my friend realized that everything is part of one. and for me, that's what om symbolizes.

As you can imagine after such an event I have been determined to go back, To understand more:
    I struggle to meditate, I live in a city, theirs lots of noise, and i work night shifts so i have to sleep in the daytime...
    Meditation i find it really hard to keep my mind away from reality.

So, I've been trying to lucid dream every day after work instead... is this the same thing?
    Iv'e had one success but it didn't last very long at all...

Re: Meditation Dificulties

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

... find a teacher. A competent teacher.

If you do not know where you are going, then any road will take you there.

iti śivaṁ
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Where do I look?
    We're the same, You and I.

Hyderabad Normally at present Atlanta USA

I have been given an indicative answer to this type of situation by ms Swamiji
    During the first attempt you had no expectations and your mind was fresh
    The next
    You had expectations and mind was full
    Always start with a fresh mind and have no expectations
    Each sitting is new , fresh, and unique

I guess your right, maybe i had expectations after that first experience.
    Ironically I had a lucid dream last night, and was presented within that dream a way to pursue what I'm looking for. I know not to quit and to keep trying.

I remember looking at my hand last night and the orange symbol for om was glowing on my palms, I also had two penis and no sense of feeling in that area which was really odd, I think it was my body telling my mind I was asleep. I was very close to the awareness asleep i crave.

With meditating in comparison, I find it hard to shut out outside interference and i find the posture of sitting cross legged very uncomfortable to relax, i wonder is there an easier posture to assume?
    Someone told me to focus on breathing, when i do that i find myself not breathing, but if i don't focus on breathing, my mind thinks of all the problems in my daily life, instead of escaping it.

hariḥ o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Ashcooper View Post
    Where do I look?
    Begin to look... but while you are looking become the best student you can be. Learn, study, practice with patience. These you can do while the teacher is in route to you. Become prepared, that is what I would do. Prepare.

There is much information on HDF , begin here the best way you know how then continue with knowledge and experience, rest and activity.

iti śivaṁ
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

So. I went online and started watching a yogi and an unconventional guru, each centered on the topic of meditation.

The main message, is meditation was a state of mind and not an action I could forfil.

The night after i watched lots of hours of footage of just these men on the internet telling me philosophy, I had this random urge to go outside and find a sweet spot.

I found it, by a stream in the sun, I sat in my most comfortable position and let thoughts slip from my mind as soon as they entered.

It felt like ten minutes had passed when i realized it had been two hours and i was slightly sunburned, I stood up and just felt light and airy, like all the stress and issues in my body had been taken away.

I went home after and just cleaned my house top to bottom, made myself some dhal, and then sat happily in the quiet in my home with the incense a burning.

I have never felt more at peace than in those few hours, The online suggestion was i do this at least once a day, even if for five minutes, I'm unsure of what other benefits will come of this, but I'm dropping my expectations of it, and am just feeling more, centered and pacifistic.

Just gotta dissolve this ego of mine now.

8. Re: Meditation Dificulties

you need a teacher (guru) without whom you would be lost in the spiritual world. it is said the teacher and student in spiritual world are destined to meet so you just need to keep looking. attend spiritual ceremonies, visit yogis and spiritual people and soon you would surely find your guru.

and what you have achieved in your first meditation is just remarkable. try practicing meditation for some time everyday. find some time to calm yourself and meditate on some god or goddess (concentrating on emptiness would be difficult at this stage). keep your good work and you will surely find bliss.

Thumbs Up Re: Meditation Dificulties

Thank you, I've been keeping it at as best I can, I must admit it's hard to break it into a routine, especially when there is so much noise around. It's a big problem some days:
    But I think I have managed to do 5 days out of 7 the last few weeks, between 10-45 minutes each attempt.

Still not that much closer to what I want, though I do see a lot of elephants in the clouds these days, maybe I'm seeking the image out in my mind and that's why I see it. But I find it a subtle aid never-the-less.

Cheers for all the feedback guys, this has been of great use to me.

Namaste,

As Yajvan ji has said,

Please try to find a proper Guru. Until then, please do not chant OM. It will neutralize all desires, be it good or bad or divine and take you beyond desires, beyond mind, beyond mAyA.

So if you have some desire which you are not ready to quit, then there will be a mutual conflict and you will not be happy in your life.

If you like Ganesha, chant his mantra

It is a common experience that when first time you sit to meditate, you have good spiritual experience. You too had a good spiritual experience.

Pray to Ganesha to show you the way. Until then, please chant Ganesha's name and do not chant OM

Seeing elephants in sky, I do not know what to say, just neglect it and imagine or visualize form of Ganesha.

Aum

Amrut
    Last edited by Amrut; 02 August 2013 at 07:40 AM.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information