Thread: 1/2 of 1º

1/2 of 1º

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namaste

The finest resolution that the brihat-parāśara-horā-śāstra authored by the seer mahāṛṣi parāśara calls out is the ṣaṣṭyāṃśa known as the 1/60th or D60 chart. This then infers that the total chart has 720 divisions found within the 360º arc circle of a chart.

This calculation takes a sign (rāśi) of 30º and divides it into 60 parts (aṃśa-s). Mahṛṣi parāśara informs us that each division or part is named after a specified devata and therefore indicates the influence or quality they infer.

When it comes to this ṣaṣṭyāṃśa there are very few jyotiṣa-s that have mastered the use and application of this divisional chart ( including and especially me ). Yet I thought to share some things that I found most interesting.

We will do this starting with the next post.

iti śivaṁ

words

• ṣaṣṭyāṃśa
      • ṣaṣṭitama = the 60th
      • aṃśa = share , portion , part ; the denominator of a fraction ; a degree of latitude or longitude
    • rāśi - is a heap, a mass, a pile, a group; in joytiṣ it is the name given to sign, as a collection point.
    • specified devata - I do not plan on listing out the 60 names; yet it is interesting to note that the names go one way for odd sides, and another way for even signs.
    Last edited by yajvan; 20 October 2013 at 01:18 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: 1/2 of 1º

hariḥ o
    ~~~~~~
    namaste

This calculation takes a sign (rāśi) of 30º and divides it into 60 parts (aṃśa-s).

This division of 1/2 of 1º is equal to 48 seconds in time. That is, this distance the sun will move in this time period and all other graha-s movement within this 48 second time span.

What does this infer ? Even if twins are born of the same mother, there will be at least a 48 second time lapse between child 1 and child 2. This suggests that they may be identical in many-many ways within the ṣaṣṭyāṃśa there will be a difference of where the lagna and other graha-s ( and therefore devata indicators) reside within the 60 parts of any given sign. This slight difference is enough to suggest past incarnations and the inherited traits that come with this being into this new time frame.

Mahṛṣi parāśara-ji informs us ( in chapter 7 of his work) in the 41st śloka, says the following:
    śubhaṣaṣṭyāṃśasaṃyuktā grahāḥ śubhaphalapradāḥ |
    krūraṣaṣṭyāṃśāsaṃyukta nāśayanti khacāriṇaḥ ||

This says, graha-s in śubha (righteous , virtuous , benefical) divisions ( or ṣaṣṭyāṃśa) bring or give good fruits ( phala ~results~ ); those in krūra (inauspicious or disagreeable) divisions give evil results.

Now, how does one use this wisdom? Sanjay Rath teaches that one looks to the ṣaṣṭyāṃśa divisions found in the rāśi chart ( D1 ), the ṣaṣṭyāṃśa sign and the ṣaṣṭyāṃśa divisional chart analaysis, not to mention a look to the D9 chart (navaṃśa = 1/9th division). We are taught that at this high level of D60 we are looking at reasons for a persons return to this existence.

One therefore must be looking at dharma from a spiritual POV ( hence the D9 chart) and dharma from the POV of a new incarnation in this life ( the D60 chart).
    As you can see there are many moving parts. This is why I have mentioned few have mastered the true and in-depth use of this ṣaṣṭyāṃśa chart with all the devata implications not to mention the graha influences, sign and house influences that are also in tow, and how to ferret out the essence of what these charts tell us.

We will look at just a few ideas in the next post , as you can see , this is not for the casual user.

iti śivaṁ
    Last edited by yajvan; 20 October 2013 at 01:19 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Re: 1/2 of 1

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namast

specified devata - I do not plan on listing out the 60 names; yet it is interesting to note that the names go one way for odd sides, and another way for even signs.
    We can learn of the names of the 60 devata-s from the brihat-parāśara-horā-śāstra authored by the seer mahāṛṣi parāśara
    in chapter 7 starting with the 31st śloka.

We will also see this list in jātaka parijāta adhyāya 1 ( chapter 1) within the 38th to 43rd śloka-s; some of its applications will be found in the same book in the 14th adhyāya (chapter) 89th and 96th śloka-s.

One will know by the name of the devata whether it is benefic or malific... let me show this by example of just the first 4 devata-s ( in odd signs) :
    • ghoraśca - or ghora = terrific , frightful , terrible , dreadful , violent , vehement (as in pains & diseases)
    • rākṣaśa - or rākṣasa = belonging to or like a rakṣas i.e. demoniacal
    • devaḥ - divine; this word is from div meaning heavenly , divine
    • kubera - some spell kuvera. This devata has different definitions. Most recognize him as associated with
      riches and treasure ; yet he is also recognized as chief of the evil beings or spirits or darkness with
      the name of vaiśravaṇa. This name is from vi-śravaṇa ; śravaṇa = limping , lame + vi = to and fro ( this is my view, as there are many definitions for 'vi')
    Based upon my count there are 32 (32/60 = 53%) benefic devata-s and 28 (28/60 = 47%) malific devata-s in this scheme of reckoning the ṣaṣṭyāṃśa view of this divisional approach.

iti śivaṁ

words
    jātaka parijāta -
    • jātaka parijāta is authored by vaidyanātha dīkṣā
      • parijāta - fully developed; pari = fully developed, abundantly; more then; in consequence or on account
      • jātaka = engendered by , born under (an asterism); nativity , astrological calculation of a nativity
    • adhyāya - a chapter, lesson or lecture; also the proper time for reading or for lecture
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste Yajvan,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful knowledge; I am slowly building a picture in my minds eye of this amazing mathematical construct; it is as beautiful in its depth and function as is the divine mother in all her glorious forms.

If we count 12 * 60th, total portions, do we not arrive at a count of 720; I am a little confounded by the total of 1800 portions?

Thank you for your clarification.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namast

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namaste Yajvan,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful knowledge; I am slowly building a picture in my minds eye of this amazing mathematical construct; it is as beautiful in its depth and function as is the divine mother in all her glorious forms.

If we count 12 * 60th, total portions, do we not arrive at a count of 720; I am a little confounded by the total of 1800 portions?

Thank you for your clarification.
    Yes, you are correct.. I thought about this last night and knew I had a typographical error in the posting. Thank you for the correction. If it were 1800 divisions , the chart would be called the nadiāṃśa with 150 divisions per sign.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namast

This division of 1/2 of 1 is equal to 48 seconds in time. That is, this distance the sun will move in this time period and all other graha-s movement within this 48 second time span.

What does this infer ? Even if twins are born of the same mother, there will be at least a 48 second time lapse between child 1 and child 2. This suggests that they may be identical in many-many ways within the ṣaṣṭyāṃśa there will be a difference of where the lagna and other graha-s ( and therefore devata indicators) reside within the 60 parts of any given sign. This slight difference is enough to suggest past incarnations and the inherited traits that come with this being into this new time frame.

Due to the sensitivity of the ṣaṣṭyāṃśa (D60) chart, I have always taken one's birth and apply a few alternate times.

Let's say a person says he/she was born at 6:00 A.M. For me it seems rare that a person would be born at exactly 6 A.M. ( or 7 PM, or 9 PM, or 3 AM) , exactly on-the-dot. Recall birth is not when the infant is outside the womb but when the umbilicus is cut, this then suggests the infant is now an independent being, separated from mother.

So, my technique is to always back up 30 seconds and go forward 30 seconds (+/-)from the birth time offered e.g. 6:00:30 AM, 5:59:30 AM. This will influence the D60 chart; it rarely influences the D1 chart but it is possible ( but not probable). One then can see how this may move a graha or lagna or both by 1 or 2 ṣaṣṭitama-s (the 60th portion). This can give the accomplished jyotiṣa additional hints to the native's behaviors or past impressions.

Example

Here is a person born at 5:06:55 PM on July 6th ( today)
    Body__ 60th Divisional part____ aṃśa ruler

Lagna _____17_______________ kāla (black, dark; abuse , censure , defamation )

I change the the birth time by 55 seconds to 5:06:00 PM ( I tried 30 seconds and nothing changed)

Lagna_____16_______________ saumya (cool and moist ; 'resembling the moon' , placid , gentle , mild )

Note the change in the division, and the change in the devata name and qualities.

iti śivaṁ
    Last edited by yajvan; 06 July 2013 at 09:09 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information