Thread: Veda Vyasa and Narayana

Veda Vyasa and Narayana

I'm asking this question from the coherence supposed by historians and others who've dated the concept of Narayana's entry into the pantheon of Gods. I want to know if this time period coincides roughly with the time of Badarayana.

Also,

Can anyone help with interpretations of the word Narayana according to Panini? How do we get 'naraanaam ayanam yah sah' or 'naraah ayanaah yasya sah'? If possible, please include step-by-step vyutpatti.

Further, isn't it also possible that Narayana is just a similar construct as Badarayana, Ashvalayana, Arkayana, etc?

In which case, what rules of interpretation allow the former interpretations to exist? And, can the same rules be allowed to extend the scope of such names as Badarayana?

Regards,

Aditya.

Re: Veda Vyasa and Narayana

Quote Originally Posted by ananthaditya View Post
    I'm asking this question from the coherence supposed by historians and others who've dated the concept of Narayana's entry into the pantheon of Gods. I want to know if this time period coincides roughly with the time of Badarayana.

Also,

Can anyone help with interpretations of the word Narayana according to Panini? How do we get 'naraanaam ayanam yah sah' or 'naraah ayanaah yasya sah'? If possible, please include step-by-step vyutpatti.

Further, isn't it also possible that Narayana is just a similar construct as Badarayana, Ashvalayana, Arkayana, etc?

In which case, what rules of interpretation allow the former interpretations to exist? And, can the same rules be allowed to extend the scope of such names as Badarayana?

Regards,

Aditya.
    I will speak here from my pov:
    "Narayana" originally means both "who enters nara(man)" and who is the "resting place" for all nara.
    How is that? "ayana" means resting place, and "solstice" at the same time. Now, in solstice we have a co-existence of two. So this is it.

The rest follows. In the Vedic language the god Surya (the highest aspect of Agni) is this particular "solstice", i.e., nara-narayana, or just narayana. The name "suryanarayana" is still very popular in India.

Again, the avatar equivalent of narayana is originally Ram. We know how Ram is called the ideal nara, more along the lines of Agni the vaisvanara (the "cosmopolitan" man). The name "Ramnarayana" is also extremely popular in India.

Of course, though, "Narayana" has come to mean today the "rest place" of Vishnu himaself (though Daksha in RgVeda). This is how the Vaisnavas call and see their Lord, and therefore something which no one should have problems with.

I hope someone here will consider the Panini and Badrayana part of your post. I will thus rest my case

namaste.
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Thread Information