Thread: Fasting in hinduism

Fasting in hinduism

Namaste,
    I wish to know how is the better way for having days of fast in hinduism. I.e. in Judasim fasting starts with the sundown and in Islam with the first distinction between dark and light, indeed the middle of the night. In Hinduism is it start in the morning with the sunrise?

Are there specific or suggested days in the Hindu Calendar for fasting, as a way of love Brahma or Trimutri?

Thank your for your kindly responses.
    Roberto

Re: Fasting in hinduism

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Namaste,
    I wish to know how is the better way for having days of fast in hinduism. I.e. in Judasim fasting starts with the sundown and in Islam with the first distinction between dark and light, indeed the middle of the night. In Hinduism is it start in the morning with the sunrise?

Are there specific or suggested days in the Hindu Calendar for fasting, as a way of love Brahma or Trimutri?

Roberto
    Vannakkam Roberto: It varies widely, both on the definition of 'fast' and on when Hindus fast. Some people fast on Ekadasi, for example, while others like me don;t even know what that is.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Namaste,

Roberto
    Namaste.

It all depends on what/who you believe in and how far you are willing to go with it.

A lot of Shaivites fast on Mondays. Our last meal is the previous dinner and our next meal is the breakfast on the following day.

Some do a total nirjal (without water) fast and consume nothing, while others will drink water and/or clear apple juice, but no solid food.

For Hindus who are meat eaters, they will just abstain from meat for the day.

Others who are vegetarian, will just consume fruit.

Monday is the day of fasting for Shiva worshipers.

Hanuman devotees do the same on Tuesday.

Krishna devotees do the same on Wednesday.

Brihaspati, Vishnu and Guru devotees do likewise on Thursday.

Friday is the day that Devi/Goddess worshipers fast.

Saturday is for Ayappan and Shani worshippers.

Sunday is for Surya Deva.

It all has to do with Deities and the particular planets they are associated with. Fasting on such days is said to be auspicious.

Some Hindus also fast on Ekadashi, but it depends on the type of Ekadashi.

With some Ekadashi, a full fast is required. For others, there is fasting from legumes, grains and/or both.

"If a person eats once at midday on Ekadasi, the sins of his previous birth are erased, if he eats supper, the sins acquired during his previous two births are removed, and if he fasts completely, the sins accumulated during his pervious seven births are eradicated.
    "O son, whatever is only rarely achieved within the three worlds is obtained by him who strictly observes Haribodhini Ekadasi.
    So, it all depends, really.

I usually fast on Mondays from the previous evening until the next morning, but I must drink a lot of water and juice to avoid getting migraines.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 18 July 2013 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    Namaste.

Monday is the day of fasting for Shiva worshipers.

Hanuman devotees do the same on Tuesday.

Krishna devotees do the same on Wednesday.

Brihaspati, Vishnu and Guru devotees do likewise on Thursday.

Friday is the day that Devi/Goddess worshipers fast.

Saturday is for Ayappan and Shani worshippers.

Sunday is for Surya Deva.

It all has to do with Deities and the particular planets they are associated with. Fasting on such days is said to be auspicious.
    Thank you for this comprehensive list, Necromancer. This was something that I have been wondering about too.
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namaste Necromancer,
    your explanations are very wise and riches of notions. It's very interesting. I worship Lord Shiva so my day will be monday.

The time duration you've noted is currently more then 24 hours without food, I have understood rightly?

Thank you again
    Roberto

Thread Information