Thread: Hey there

Smile Hey there

Namaste,

Let me think... My name is Christine, and I guess I can say that I've never been very religious. I feel a little silly saying this, since I'm a little young, I guess, but I was raised in a Christian family, and Christianity has really never "done it" for me.

I was introduced to Hinduism through characters in a show I'm particularly fond of. I know that sounds really bad, but... I started doing research to try and understand the characters better so I could write them better when roleplaying with my friends (yes, I'm one of those, I'm sorry), but I ended up being drawn towards the lifestyle instead. It's very interesting, and it's something I feel I can get closer to than with Christianity. Christianity has always felt so cold and impersonal to me, and so I've never been interested in prayer or getting to know God before... But after doing some reading around about Hinduism and reading some threads around here, I'm eager to learn more.

I'm very, very, very, very new, and I don't understand a lot of what's being said in the "new to Sanatana Dharma" forums... A lot of the terms are strange to me, and little explanation is given for much of it (I suspect they're basic ideas that I ought to understand by now), but I'm picking a little up here and there, and I want to know more.

The lifestyle feels much more loving and comforting than Christianity, and it makes me feel good inside too, just thinking about it. I hope to become a better person through Sanatana Dharma.

Thank you very much for your patience.

Re: Hey there

Namaste and Welcome to the forums !!!

Hindu Dharma is vast. If you just want to begin and get a grasp about Hindu Dharma, please read Hindu Dharma by Paramacharya Sri Sri Chandrashekharendra Saraswati of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham.

Paramacharya, as he is fondly called and out of respect and reverence, was considered as an authority on almost all spiritual matters and revered by all. He is the direct successor of Adi Shankaracharya, a proponent of Advaita Vedanta. Topics covered are general and in easy language.

In book form it consists of 828 pages, but each chapter is in general one or atmost two page long.

Good Luck with Hinduism.

and ... always remember no questions are stupid.

Aum

Amrut
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by azurellia View Post
    Namaste,

Let me think... My name is Christine, and I guess I can say that I've never been very religious. I feel a little silly saying this, since I'm a little young, I guess, but I was raised in a Christian family, and Christianity has really never "done it" for me.

I was introduced to Hinduism through characters in a show I'm particularly fond of. I know that sounds really bad, but... I started doing research to try and understand the characters better so I could write them better when roleplaying with my friends (yes, I'm one of those, I'm sorry), but I ended up being drawn towards the lifestyle instead. It's very interesting, and it's something I feel I can get closer to than with Christianity. Christianity has always felt so cold and impersonal to me, and so I've never been interested in prayer or getting to know God before... But after doing some reading around about Hinduism and reading some threads around here, I'm eager to learn more.

I'm very, very, very, very new, and I don't understand a lot of what's being said in the "new to Sanatana Dharma" forums... A lot of the terms are strange to me, and little explanation is given for much of it (I suspect they're basic ideas that I ought to understand by now), but I'm picking a little up here and there, and I want to know more.

The lifestyle feels much more loving and comforting than Christianity, and it makes me feel good inside too, just thinking about it. I hope to become a better person through Sanatana Dharma.

Thank you very much for your patience.
    Vannakkam, and Welcome to these forums. Feel free to ask away. There are a lot of nice Hindu temples in Texas too.

I would recommend "What is Hinduism?" by Himalayan Academy as a primer. Mostly in American English, but I think it has a glossary section too. (It's free on-line.)

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Christine,

And welcome! I have found these forums to be a great place to express my love for the Gods and to learn about Hinduism. Hopefully, you will, too. If you don't mind my asking, what Gods have you taken an interest in?

Jai Radha Krishna
    "Be the change you wish to see in other people." ~Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam, and Welcome to these forums. Feel free to ask away. There are a lot of nice Hindu temples in Texas too.

I would recommend "What is Hinduism?" by Himalayan Academy as a primer. Mostly in American English, but I think it has a glossary section too. (It's free on-line.)

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste,

Thank you, I'll look into it a bit later. I'm a bit weighted down with reading material all of a sudden, haha.

And I've looked into finding a nearby temple... The closest one to my location is a town over, and unfortunately, due to complications and such, I don't have a license. I'm definitely interested in looking into visiting sometime, though.

Hi Azurellia

I recently joined here also; Hinduism is indeed vast and enough for you to make of it what you wish. The difference with Christianity and Islam is that many possible paths are understood to exist- there's only one mountain peak but many sides to climb. The Abrahamics by contrast insist, and consequently fight and hate each other, in saying that there's only one path, through Christ or Mohammed.

Hindus pray sincerely in a churches and mosques and their temples may have alters to the Abrahamic conceptions of God. Needless to say there is no such inclusion from the other sides.
    Be without the three gunas, O Arjuna

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I would recommend "What is Hinduism?" by Himalayan Academy as a primer. Mostly in American English, but I think it has a glossary section too. (It's free on-line.) Aum Namasivaya
    Welcome. I agree with EMs opinion above, mostly because of the story telling style and simple language it followed, without leaving reader in any doubts about the message being conveyed. Later on one can read other sources as well as ones curiosity grows.
    Namaste.
    http://www.himalayanacademy.com/medi...s-hinduism.pdf

Namaste and welcome
    Your story is a little bit like mine I am also a younger woman, raised with a Christian background who came to Sanatana Dharma. You can absolutely ask any question you like. Knowledge is one of the things at the core of Hinduism, and increasing it is one of the best things you can do. Best of luck to you!
    "Faith is to believe what you do not see. Faith's reward is to see what you believed." -Swami Chinmayananda

Quote Originally Posted by Anima Deorum View Post
    Namaste Christine,

And welcome! I have found these forums to be a great place to express my love for the Gods and to learn about Hinduism. Hopefully, you will, too. If you don't mind my asking, what Gods have you taken an interest in?

Jai Radha Krishna
    Namaste,

Ah, um, to be honest, I only know a little about the Gods, but I feel that I may be drawn towards a couple of them... I'm interested in the Devis, I think, and maybe Shiva. If I'm supposed to address them by a title in casual conversation, then I'm very sorry. I don't know what title is proper in this situation...

Quote Originally Posted by azurellia View Post
    Namaste,

Ah, um, to be honest, I only know a little about the Gods, but I feel that I may be drawn towards a couple of them... I'm interested in the Devis, I think, and maybe Shiva. If I'm supposed to address them by a title in casual conversation, then I'm very sorry. I don't know what title is proper in this situation...
    Namaste Azurellia,

That's great! My feelings have attracted me to my God, Krishna. In fact, someone said I was dragged to Him. Well, that's fine by me.
    "Be the change you wish to see in other people." ~Gandhi

Thread Information