Thread: Broken Murtis

Broken Murtis

Namaste,

My cat was trying to crawl up onto a windowsill and knocked Sri Krishna off my shrine and broke Him.... what do i do? is it disrespectful to glue Him back together? its only the top of His crown that's broken off.... Also i THOUGHT He was metal... apparently He is resin... Perhaps this is a sign from Lord Ganesha that i should stay away from Sri Krishna for now?

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah

Re: Broken Murtis

Quote Originally Posted by catnip View Post
    Namaste,

Perhaps this is a sign from Lord Ganesha that i should stay away from Sri Krishna for now?

Om Gam Ganapataye Namah
    Not unless you consider your 'cat' to be a messenger for Lord Ganesha!

fyi, it is said broken murtis, broken mirrors, etc cannot be used around the house.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Not unless you consider your 'cat' to be a messenger for Lord Ganesha!
    Don't make fun of me, He gives us messages in all sorts of subtle ways. Why is cat in quotes?

fyi, it is said broken murtis, broken mirrors, etc cannot be used around the house
    So what do i do with Him? I heard to immerse a broken Murti in a river but He is not biodegradable and not a natural material (He is resin) so i don't want to pollute the river..........

Quote Originally Posted by catnip View Post
    Namaste,

Don't make fun of me, He gives us messages in all sorts of subtle ways. Why is cat in quotes?
    If that's the way you feel, then stop worshiping Krishna. But, don't you think it is superstitious to believe that Ganesha should send a signal through a 'cat' (his vahana is the mouse) to stop you from worshiping Krishna - as if Ganesha has something against Krishna!

So what do i do with Him? I heard to immerse a broken Murti in a river but He is not biodegradable and not a natural material (He is resin) so i don't want to pollute the river..........
    I only said the broken murti is not used around the house - used as in being prayed to.. You can safely preserve the murti in a respectful place.

(One of my favorite dolls of a god that belongs in a set of 9 - the 'Dasavataras' - broke too. But I used it for Navaratri - if you know what I mean.. So you only not use it for regular aradhana, you can use it for decoration and such).

If that's the way you feel, then stop worshiping Krishna. But, don't you think it is superstitious to believe that Ganesha should send a signal through a 'cat' (his vahana is the mouse) to stop you from worshiping Krishna - as if Ganesha has something against Krishna!
    I thought that maybe he was telling me i'm not ready to expand my worship to anyone else yet (i am a relatively new convert). I don't think that Lord Ganesha has anything against Sri Krishna.... Why would he? And i've always been a bit superstitious. But not crazy superstitious

I only said the broken murti is not used around the house - used as in being prayed to.. You can safely preserve the murti in a respectful place.

(One of my favorite dolls of a god that belongs in a set of 9 - the 'Dasavataras' - broke too. But I used it for Navaratri - if you know what I mean.. So you only not use it for regular aradhana, you can use it for decoration and such).
    Oh ok then i will find a place to put Him, its ok if i glue the broken piece back on right? I read about Navaratri a while ago i can't seem to find much good info on it but maybe i didn't look hard enough....

[QUOTE=catnip;106101]I thought that maybe he was telling me i'm not ready to expand my worship to anyone else yet (i am a relatively new convert). I don't think that Lord Ganesha has anything against Sri Krishna.... Why would he? And i've always been a bit superstitious. But not crazy superstitious [quote]

Well, I do recall that whichever god you pray to, they will eventually lead you to your ishta-devata. I always thought this to be a natural attraction for your ishta-devata at some point of worship. But in your case, this would translate to either Krishna or Ganesha telling you not to worship Krishna but to concentrate on Ganesha...hmmm... maybe you can focus on Ganesha alone if you feel so, for some time and see how things are going. This, if you think, that love for Krishna doesn't stand in the way. Or if you love Krishna too, then you can devote a very small portion of your worship time to pray to Krishna.

Oh ok then i will find a place to put Him, its ok if i glue the broken piece back on right? I read about Navaratri a while ago i can't seem to find much good info on it but maybe i didn't look hard enough....
    That's what I heard from my family - I simply glued on the broken idol and used in my Navaratri 'Kolu' (it is actually a festival celebrated for 9 days in worship of female goddesses and people arrange a structure of 3, 5 or 7 steps in which they place the idols of gods and do daily prayer to them).

Well, I do recall that whichever god you pray to, they will eventually lead you to your ishta-devata. I always thought this to be a natural attraction for your ishta-devata at some point of worship. But in your case, this would translate to either Krishna or Ganesha telling you not to worship Krishna but to concentrate on Ganesha...hmmm... maybe you can focus on Ganesha alone if you feel so, for some time and see how things are going. This, if you think, that love for Krishna doesn't stand in the way. Or if you love Krishna too, then you can devote a very small portion of your worship time to pray to Krishna.
    I think its one of them telling me to stick to Lord Ganesha for the time being... i will do that, especially with something major coming up, which i've decided to make a new thread about because its off topic.

Thread Information