Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: India - Unity between the states...

India - Unity between the states...

Namaste,

I am seeing so many threads on defining who is a Hindu. I am given to wondering if we should discuss as seriously what makes Indians so inimical to their own neighbouring states...

Yesterday on my FB page, I am receiving notifications from a Kannada 'friend' who sends photoshop images of TamilNadu CM Jayalalitha portrayed like a 'Dog' begging for water and an old lady from Karnataka sticking out her finger and calling Jayalalitha a bad name. What mistake has Jayalalitha done in the Cauvery issue? Ofcourse I am not discussing Politics here, but what struck me hard in the images on the FB page, is the sheer enemity. There are hostile attacks on Tamilians in Karnataka which have happened in the past, same story in Maharashtra too... why all this?

I am reminded recently in USA, some other state, memory fails, brought out a T-shirt saying 'so-and-so-state STRONGER' following the 'BOSTON STRONG' phrase and everyone booed and mellowed it down so that it waned away completely... Whereas in India, still each state looks at its neighbors so inimically, I wonder why? We go everywhere and if don't speak the language of the locals, then we are ridiculed and we can find a bunch of jokes there belittling our food habits, our work ethics, our accent, what not?

So when is India going to change? What are your thoughts on this, readers?
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: India - Unity between the states...

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: irrelevant to thread topic/digression; retracted; misunderstanding; stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Namaste,

Gujarat should partition from India's Government.

The Indian Government is trying its best to destroy Hinduism.

Gujarat is one of the last bastions of true Hindu pride.

In Tamil Nadu, secular politicians get away with calling Lord Ram as a drunkard.

In Kerala, beef eating is allowed.

In Karnataka, Christianity is on the rise.

Try eating beef and calling Lord Ram a drunkard in Gujarat, and see what happens: the person who will do those things will never survive the night.

Viraja-ji, you can move to Gujarat. Just learn Gujarati for business and social work, and you can always speak your native Tamil language amongst your family members. Gujarat will be more than welcoming to a Hindu from South India. Gujarat admires what the South did for Hinduism in ancient history. Plus, Gujaratis LOVE South Indian Tamil Udoopii food because it is vegetarian. Gujarati kids grow up eating Idli Sambhar and Dhosas and Purees. Plus, in Gujarat Rajnikanth is like a God and so is Prabhu Deva!

This song was a major hit in Gujarat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdJ1bmXeUk4

Regards,
    Paijavana
    If Gujaratis have the model behavior for Indian Unity, then I am happy to hear so. Even Tamilians are like that. Tamilnadu is known as 'Vandaarai Vaazhavaikkum Tamil Nadu' meaning 'the state which makes the incoming out-of-state people/merchants thrive'. Whereas I have not seen this behaviour at Karnataka, Maharashtra which have instigated attack on Tamilians. There has not been even a single attack of anyone out of state in TN based on sheer racism. When I read the FB remarks on the current Tamil Nadu CM, all because she requested Cauvery water, and the 200+ likes on the disproportionately rude remarks, I am just given to wondering "Where are all of peoples' goodness when they show as much hatred?". In TN, farmers have been committing suicide, the water situation is that bad. What else will the CM of such a state do than ask for water?

Unless all states of India, and Indians, give up hatred for other states, we are not going to find unity. People should give up fake pride and vanity as in thinking they are a step above others because of their language/state and its resources, etc.

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    During study abroad program, I visited Himachal Pradesh with a few of my friends during a break from University of Pune - the people in Himachal Pradesh were very friendly, and they were so proud to be Hindu! Wherever you look, Hindus are everywhere in Himachal Pradesh. It is the most Hindu populated state in India. Himachal Pradeshis are proud to be Hindu first, then Indian.
    Yeah, the state with most tolerance - and there is no peace there due to tension from Pakistan!

ps - Have you heard of the song before? Vaaji Vaaji?
    No, I haven't. I don't listen to newer songs, my time had been my college days back in early 90's and I love Ilayaraja music from that time, I hear them still often.
    Last edited by Viraja; 24 July 2013 at 01:44 PM.

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 08:08 PM.

Namaste,

Contrary to the title of the thread, it has turned pretty racist and ugly with bashing of just about every ethnic/linguistic group. And into a message board for discussing which actress is prettier. Was that the intent?

Pranam.

Vannakkam: We have had a very simplified version of this here in Canada for 100 years, with Quebec. The French (rightfully) resent the British control, and they are in the minority. If you go to Quebec, it is quite possible, even likely, to encounter a person who knows English but will not speak to you ... French only. We've had 2 or 3 separation referendums, the closest was 49% or so. There was one time when the government had to impose emergency measures, and had the locals been armed, we would have had a civil war.

It hasn't been so bad lately, but there are individuals who still hate. Generally they are the older crowd. My father's generations was horrible. Racial slurs on the French were in abundance where I grew up. So as individuals, it helps to enjoy the diversity, rather than criticize it.

In India, the only time I noticed it was in Rameswaram, when my driver had a difficult time finding a parking spot near the temple as he has KA plates. But I also think Rameswaram is a good model. As a pilgrimage spot, many states have their own hostels, etc. and everyone gets along.

I truly wish there was more celebration of diversity. I do think time will help, if leaders set an example, and individuals see it from a wiser level. That's whats happened here in Canada.

Aum Namasivaya

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Was that the intent?

Pranam.
    Oh no, not at all, Believer ji. Sorry if it sounded that way. I am removing/editing my comment about actresses. Thanks.

Thread Information