Thread: Indispensability of Tamil?

Threaded View

Indispensability of Tamil?

This may rank as one of the silliest questions posed on this forum but I am curious to know whether not knowing tamil precludes an aspiring sadhaka from participation in the devotional activities of the Sri Vaishnava tradition. The more that I read about the Sri Vaishnava tradition, the more that I am growing to love it. I have been associated with the Gaudiya Vaishnava tradition for the past 5 or 6 years now but my heart is really pulling me to Sri Ramanuja's lotus feet! Unfortunately, notwithstanding how much I read on the subject I still feel somewhat alienated from the tradition owing to my unfamiliarity with Tamil. From my basic readings thus far I know that the pasuraams of the Alwars are recited during bhagavat-aradhana and so this clearly prevents me from really participating completely in the life of a Sri Vaishnava. So as to compensate, I substitute the tamil prayers with sanskrit prayers that are otherwise also employed in Sri Vaishnava aradhana.

I pray that the Lord grants me birth in my next life in the home of a tamil-speaking family so that I can grow up to learn and recite the Divya-Prabhandam of the Alwar saints.
    Last edited by Venudhara; 24 July 2013 at 09:21 AM.

Thread Information