Thread: More about the Gods?

More about the Gods?

Namaste,

I feel guilty for having to ask this, but... I've done some poking around online, and I know a little about the Ones that I feel most drawn to, but I can't find "enough" information, mostly just symbolism, but no context or stories or anything.

Additionally, and this is mostly unrelated, on the subject of scripture, I've been warned against reading translations because of people against Hinduism and such trying to steer people away, but how can I learn anything if I don't read something? What should I do instead? I've started reading the Bhagavad-Gita on the recommended website, but I feel that it may not be enough.

Ah, also, I know we're supposed to start with a greeting and then "sign off" at the end, but I've seen so many variations of how to end a post, I don't know which one is "proper."

I'm very sorry if my questions seem ignorant.

Re: More about the Gods?

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

There is an ocean of knowledge, see this post:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...ighlight=ocean

Yet pending one's comprehension skills there are multiple entry points.

That said, a well rounded understanding to the upaniṣad-s are a good beginning.
    See this post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4617

iti śiva
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste,

Before reading Bhagavad Gita and concluding something, first stay in peace and meditate on self, ask " who is me and really this "i" is me "? If you are quite intelligent, U will find your answer, you will come to know that what you want to find
    I don't think Gita is not enough for understanding the truth. If you are enough intelligent, you will grasp the meaning of Gita. Because Gita is nothing but the essence of veda.

Jai shri hari govinda narayana
    Hari On!

Quote Originally Posted by azurellia View Post
    Namaste,

I feel guilty for having to ask this, but... I've done some poking around online, and I know a little about the Ones that I feel most drawn to, but I can't find "enough" information, mostly just symbolism, but no context or stories or anything.

Additionally, and this is mostly unrelated, on the subject of scripture, I've been warned against reading translations because of people against Hinduism and such trying to steer people away, but how can I learn anything if I don't read something? What should I do instead? I've started reading the Bhagavad-Gita on the recommended website, but I feel that it may not be enough.

Ah, also, I know we're supposed to start with a greeting and then "sign off" at the end, but I've seen so many variations of how to end a post, I don't know which one is "proper."

Vannakkam: No questions are ignorant. The answers might be, especially if no determination of the level of understanding of the asker is there. Some folks tend to speak away above the student, like a university prof answering a child's simple question about why things fall by giving a detailed explanation of gravity.

So I have a couple of questions for you.

What was the recommended website?
    Have you read an introductory book yet, or even something titled, 'the basics' or such?

As for being polite, 'Namaste' or 'Namaskar' are probably common. Even Aum is fine. I use Vannakkam, a Tamil greeting. For closing, Aum again is fine. Or just copy what some of the other people here do. Even greetings vary a bit.

But mostly just enjoy the exploration. Life should be joyous.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste
    Don't feel guilty. What are forums for but to ask?
    These deities whom you are drawn to are described in the stories. In fact there are entire scriptures that are all made ​​up of the stories about the gods. These scriptures are called Itihasas and Puranas, so there you will find the descriptions and stories about them. The most famous Itihasas are Mahabharata and Ramayana.
    If you are interested to know more about Lord Krishna and other gods, Purana by the name Srimad Bhagavatam is a good choice.
    To learn the basics of Vedic philosophy it is best to start with Bhagavad gita.
    Newbies often can not decide what to read. Some time ago I talked about it here: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...720#post102720
    If you're interested in Vaishnava translations of Bhagavad gita and Srimad Bhagavatam with commentary, I can recommend Srila Prabhupada's on http://vedabase.net/
    It is a good choice to order these books in print edition. Search for them on Google.

Translations which are "against Hinduism and trying to steer people away" are not so bad if you don't read footnotes and comments made by academic translators or scientists indologists.
    Better translations are those which have comments made by teachers in some traditions. Srila Prabhupada was one of them.

Any of them will be good. There is no rule about it.

Namaste,

Namaste.

Signing in and off a post is just a matter of general courtesy and respect. You say those things you would to a learned Pundit or Brahmin.

There's no hard and fast way, just whatever you feel.

I just get lazy and just say 'Namaste' or 'Aum Namah Shivaya'.

Some say 'pranams' or 'namaskar' even a 'with regards' is enough. You can end your post with a mantra or something pertaining to the post..or something you find personally relevant and beneficial.

I'll also say 'Aum Bhatuk Bhairavaye Namah' and 'Aum Swastiastu' sometimes, just to highlight the sect I belong to.

About getting more info on the Gods...I have found the Puranas are a great way to start - reading the Vishnu Purana, The Shiva Purana and the Mahabharata.

The Puranas help to give some 'background' on the Deities before you go and jump off into reading Bhagavad Gita.

It's best if you can get a nice English translation, but even watching the Puranas on Youtube with English Subs can suffice....for now.

At the moment, I am in the middle of the Vigyan Bhairava Tantra - something I should have read many years ago, but never did.

No matter how much you think you know about God, there's always still so much you can learn - it never stops.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: No questions are ignorant. The answers might be, especially if no determination of the level of understanding of the asker is there. Some folks tend to speak away above the student, like a university prof answering a child's simple question about why things fall by giving a detailed explanation of gravity.

So I have a couple of questions for you.

What was the recommended website?
    Have you read an introductory book yet, or even something titled, 'the basics' or such?

As for being polite, 'Namaste' or 'Namaskar' are probably common. Even Aum is fine. I use Vannakkam, a Tamil greeting. For closing, Aum again is fine. Or just copy what some of the other people here do. Even greetings vary a bit.

But mostly just enjoy the exploration. Life should be joyous.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste,

Ah, sorry, I typed this on my phone and didn't feel like grabbing the link. It's just Bhagavad-Gita.org, like everyone says to read.

As for an introductory book, I'm currently in the process of reading one. A lot of it isn't really new information, but it never hurts to brush up a little. I believe it was something someone else recommended I start with, and that was this one right here. I believe I'm on chapter five now.

I guess Aum will do, then.

Aum

Thread Information