Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Misunderstandings - VAD Threads

Re: Misunderstandings - VAD Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ramakrishna View Post
    Sita Ram,

What is the shastric basis of watching television as a "non-brahminical" activity?

Jai Sri Ram
    Jai Shri Ram,

There was no T.V. in olden days

Not all can live 100 % pure life. Not all can meditate for 12 years without moving (like Valmiki). Mind is not pure and prepared for spiritual journey.

Mind needs change. Hence it is said that anything in excess is poison. Stressing too much does more harm than help.

You need break, some refreshment, some relaxation, some enjoyment. It is upto us which activity we take. It is not compulsory to watch T.V.

Actually psychologists advice, to their patients, not to watch TV or read new papers, as they are all filled with negative news.

If you can live without TV better, if not restrict the duration.

Jai Shri Ram
    Last edited by Amrut; 11 August 2013 at 04:04 AM.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste,

Sorry for a little off topic discussion about ISKCON.

It is commonly observed that once the founder passes away, his foundation begins to fall down (gradually).

After founder leaves his physical body, can he be held responsible for what is going on in his foundation?

Before a decade, since my uncle had given donation, I had received an invitation pamphlet about 'Hare Rama Hare Krishna Rock Concert'.

No wonder if in coming days newer revisions of his Gita commentary or other commentary on shastras gets adulterate as new authors insert their own thoughts.

If one wants to spread 'his' teachings and attract youth, compromise is a common factor that is observed. One cannot have a total control of huge organization. There are 24 hours and as foundation expands grip of founder loosens and hence like in corporate culture, one has to give power and authority to other members / disciples / trusties. IT si not necessary that founder likes everything that is going in his foundation. Time factor

Hari OM

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: no longer hold this view; retracted; stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    In other words, you have never studied the chAndogya upaniShad, but somehow you know exactly what it has to say.

Thank you. This is all I wanted to establish.
    Although I have not studied the entire Chandogya Upanishad it does not mean that I do not know exactly what it has to say.
    I can tell you how I do know exactly what it has to say about concept of varnas. I have learned about it from Gaudiya vaishnava acaryas who have studied it more than you can imagine.

I already told you in my last post that if you want to defeat me, you will have to defeat these acaryas actually because what I am presenting here are their views.

regards

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Greetings,

The Gaudiya Vaishnavas do not have the monopoly on the definition of varna nor the implications of varna. They do not and will never speak for all Hindus, especially for Vaishnavas that are not Gaudiya.

Gaudiya Vaishnavism =/= Vaishnavism
    Gaudiya = a sect of Vaishnavism
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Another point: a boy named Kanva heard so many things from his teachers, but one day he decided to read about the stuff the teachers were teaching. It turned out that many things the teachers were teaching were incorrect and fraudulent. He learned that day that it is better to also learn by oneself.
    I really do not understand the point of your objections. The post in which you expressed some accusations against Iskcon is deleted / modified.
    It seems that you are not thoroughly informed about the teachings by this Gaudiya vaishnava movement. Their teachings are not adharmic, nor are they against Lord Rama.
    First learn at least the basics of the Vedic philosophy, and then judge.

For starters Gaudiya vaishnava understanding of varna is entirely founded on scriptures such as the Upanishads, Mahabharata, Puranas, etc. Since you do not understand that you'd be wise to learn first and then you'll realize that your own understanding in this current point is "incorrect and fraudulent".

regards

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: inappropriate; no longer hold this view; stand corrected

Namaste Respected Members,

Please keep this thread on track. Why Satay ji always have to put an axe???

Both views varNa based on birth and guNa are welcome, as this thread is about misunderstandings ...

Hari OM

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: stand corrected; brahma jijnasa was right after all

Quote Originally Posted by Ramakrishna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor
    On the subject of many of ISKCON's "brahmins by quality," I have found that I frankly cannot relate to most of them, as with few exceptions, they tend to indulge in one or more of the following non-brahminical activities or attitudes:

1) watching television
    What is the shastric basis of watching television as a "non-brahminical" activity?
    It seems that our friend Philosoraptor saw somewhere in the Dharma sastras some statement like "Brahmana shall not eat garlic, facing the sun he shall not eject urine, and he shall not watching TV".

regards

Thread Information