Thread: Jwalamukhi Temple

Jwalamukhi Temple

Namaste,

I found this video clipping of Sri Jwalamukhi devi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FWyjTfe6ds

I tried to search Wiki to know more about her, but could not find any info. Does anyone know more about her? Who is she an aspect of? (Like Parvathi, Sakthi, etc).

Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Jwalamukhi Temple

I'm not a Śākta, but this is what I found on the following site: http://www.mahalakshmi.org/index.php...aji-&Itemid=56

Quote Originally Posted by mahalakshmi.org
    Jwalaji (flame) or Jwala Mukhi (flame mouth) is probably the most ancient temple discussed here besides Vaishno Devi. It is mentioned in the Mahabharata and other scriptures. There is a natural cave where eternal flames continue to burn. Some say there are seven or nine flames for the seven divine sisters or the nine Durgas. It is here that Sati's tongue fell which can now be seen in the form of the flame.

The Legend

A cowherd found that one of his cows was always without milk. He followed the cow to find out the cause. He saw a girl come out of the forest, drink the cows milk, and then disappear in a flash of light. The cowherd went to the king and told him the story. The king was aware of the legend that Sati's tongue had fallen in this area. The king tried, without success, to find that sacred spot. Again, some years later, the cowherd went to the king to report that he had seen a flame burning in the moutains. The king found the spot and had darshan (vision) of the holy flame. He built a temple there and arranged for priests to enguage in regular worship. It is believed that the Pandavas came later and renovated the temple.

It was Dhyanu Bhagat who spread Devi Mata's name. He lived at the time of the Mughal Emperor Akbar. Dhyanu Bhagat was passing through Delhi with a group of pilgrams on their way to Jwalaji. Akbar summoned him to his court to inquire into the nature of their Goddess. Dhyanu Bhagat told him She is all powerful and answers the prayers of Her devotees.

To test Her power Akbar cut off the head of Dhyanu's horse ordering him to have the Goddess put it back. Dhyanu went to Jwalaji and prayed day and night to no avail. Out of desperation he cut of his own head and offered it to Devi Ma. She then appeared to him riding a lion. She reconnected both his head and that of the horse. Devi Ma also offered Dhyanu Bhagat a boon. He requested that it should not be so difficult for pigrams to show their devotion. Mata said that in the future if someone offered a coconut she would accept it as if they had offered their own head. To this day people continue to offer coconuts to the Goddess in Her temples all over the world.
    [1] By "seven divine sisters," I assume they're referring to the saptamātṛkā, but I'm not sure.
    рокроЯрпИрокрпЛро░рпН рокрпБроХрпНроХрпБ роорпБро┤роЩрпНроХрпБроорпНроЕрокрпН рокро╛роЮрпНроЪроЪройрпНройро┐ропроорпБроорпН рокро▓рпНро▓ро╛рогрпНроЯрпЗ
    May your pA~nchajanya shankha which reverberates on the battlefield, last thousands upon thousands of years...
    http://archives.mirroroftomorrow.org...anchajanya.jpg

Namaste Viraja,

Maa Jwala Devi's most famous tales are related in this movie,
    Jai Jwala Maa. Jwalamukhi is said to be the Shaktipith where Sati's tongue
    fell, and there are always either 7 or 9 flames burning; these are not
    man-made, but natural gas from fissures, that have never gone out.
    Rather than a pindi or natural stone (like Maa Vaishno Devi and others),
    Jwala Devi is present in the form of these flames.

I hope you enjoy learning more about Her- Jai Maa Jwala Devi

JAI MATA DI
    || рдЬрдп рдорд╛рддрд╛ рдХреА ||

Thank you for the reply and the movie, JaiMaa! Will go through the movie. Yes, yesterday I went through a collection of videos in YT covering Maa Jwalamukhi's temple in detail. They created an immense longing to go visit her temples, like Jwalamukhi, Kamakya, sometime.. Hope my wish comes true. And I found info on her in Wiki eventually.. it was under the name of 'Jwala Ji' (the actual name 'Jwalamukhi' being taken over by someone else).

Thanks.

namaskar,

I have been blessed to visit the JawalaJi mandir at least twice in this life time, most recently in 2009. The main site is actually a natural 'Jot' or flame or fire in the shape of diya that comes out of a crack between the natural rocks. The rest of the temple was built around that. The natural falme is something sacred that people go to see.

It is believed that Jawalaji is one of the sisters of the seven sisters residing in that himachal mountain region. The eldest of the Vaishno devi. All sisters were at some point or another terrorized by a demon and the sisters decided to hide themselves in various rocks/mountains. That's where the respective temples are now built as those sites became sacred.

In 2009, I visited Vaishno devi, Chinta purni mata, jawala ji mata the three main sacred sites of that region.

Specifically for jawalji site it is said that one must offer 'peras' (a specialty sweet) to the natural occurring fire/Jot. It is also said that one of the muslim invaders (Akbar?) tried to bomb blast the site in order to remove the fire from the rock but he could not do any damage no matter what he tried. Finally, he accepted this site as a sacred site and offered huge covers made up of gold to protect the flame.

This is what I know. These sites are special places of worship and have great importance in my family history.

Jai Mata Di!
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    It is also said that one of the muslim invaders (Akbar?) tried to bomb blast the site in order to remove the fire from the rock but he could not do any damage no matter what he tried. Finally, he accepted this site as a sacred site and offered huge covers made up of gold to protect the flame.
    Namaste,

Yes, I read that info in Wiki.. That Akbar cut out the head of a horse belonging to a great devotee of Sri Jwala devi and that the devotee prayed endlessly to the goddess and that she granted the life back to the horse!

It is a very impressive temple.. very magnificient - a large temple built fully of marble. Seems very much crowded at all times. It is indeed a wonder that natural flame burns incessently.. shows mother's endless love to all mankind.

Jai Mata Di!

Thread Information