Thread: Svadharma. Thoughts...

Svadharma. Thoughts...

श्रेयान्स्वधर्मो विगुणः परधर्मात्स्वनुष्ठितात् |
    स्वधर्मे निधनं श्रेयः परधर्मो भयावहः ||३- ३५||

sreyan svadharmo vigunah
    paradharmat svanushthitat
    svadharme nidhanam
    sreyah paradharmo bhayavahah

Better is activity rightly conforming to one's own nature though lacking in superior quality than activity foreign to one's own nature although it may be well done (otherwise). (Even) death by the performance of what fits one properly has merit. Activity foreign to oneself is fraught with danger.

Here, Krishna, the Guru, gives one of the most fundamental guidance in spiritual life. A clear picture of Svadharma (conduct proper to one's nature), is beautifully added here which was hinted earlier in verse thirty one of the second chapter.

Each one has a place and role to play in the rolling of the universe. What exactly is this place and this role is a question needs to be answered by every individual. It varies drastically in accordance with one’s inner nature and disposition. When one is thus engaged in activities attuned to inner propensities, at the same time seeing him inseparable from the constant change of becoming, is considered to be in one’s own svadharma.

Adherence to svadharma can cause us inconvenience or even death. It would still be best for us, for in doing our svadharma, we experience the joy of expressing ourselves the latent potentials within us. When the karma ceases to be just a means of livelihood, each moment turns out to be one of self-contentment and blissfulness.

Those who choose the way of life or vocation not fitting in with their inner nature are said to be doing Paradharma. The phrase paradharmat svanushthitat (another's duty well-performed) also calls for explanation.

Now, the one engaged in activities not confirming with their inner nature will be far different from the ones adhered to svadharma: boredom arises from having to do something not liked, and there will also be the fear what was done may have been wrong. The person’s strongest emotion will be the desire to get the job done somehow and leave. Thus Paradharma, however good it be, render every moment of life insipid and fearsome ; where the final goal remains Happiness with one's situation in life.

The same is even cautioned in the verse 26 of the same chapter-2-

न बुद्धिभेदं जनयेदज्ञानां कर्मसङ्गिनाम् |
    जोषयेत्सर्वकर्माणि विद्वान्युक्तः समाचरन् ||३- २६||

Na buddhi bhedam janyet
    ajnanam karma sanginam
    joshayet sarva karmani
    vidvan yuktah samacharan

The person who is wise should not give room for disruption in the way of thinking of those who have not attained to wisdom but by behaving unitively he should render every kind of action enjoyable.

Because it is not many who become engaged with the kind of discussion that took place at the battlefield of Kurukshethra. Rarely do people become seekers, and still rarer is it for them to get real insight into what the Lord is disclosing to his disciple friend.

The word joshayet (make likeable) further clarifies the yogi's attitude. This clearly says that the yogi does not acquiesce to the wrong methods of others, but only uses a gentler and more understanding method of weaning people from their wrong ways. Abrupt or shock treatments as in neurotherapy or crash courses as in academic entrance exams are not favoured by the wise teacher Krishna is also to be noted.

=======================

The inner truthfulness of a man has to correspond to his outer truthfulness; otherwise a conflict would develop which would stultify his spiritual progress, finally blocking it altogether. This would amount to spiritual death; much more serious than just physical death, which would affect only the present life. One has to avoid by all means entering into conflict with oneself. Each man has to work out his own salvation, according to his own intelligence or capacity. While another man can carry a physical burden, vicarious suffering cannot be applied to the domain of precious inner values. Truth to oneself can never result in madness which would be worse than death. Guru

=======================

Your thoughts please.

Love
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

Re: Svadharma. Thoughts...

om gurave namaḥ

Namaste Brahman,

A wonderful and, dare I say it, a beautifully provocative thought provoking post; thank you kindly.

I am an emotional type and these thoughts this topic inspire in me:
    Striking hard upon the strings of my heart; as I have a very strong reaction to actions, should they deviate to far from my subconscious path; that of the ordinance of my daśā.

Now, If the shadow caste by ones actions defines one creed, what when credence stops progress? Who could be surprised if dharma breaks rank and changes form, and few are the rocks that could resist the growth of such ...

In many ways, I had spent my entire childhood constructing a persona which conform with my society's rigid linear rules, and the inevitable undercurrents those rough cold walls created; society's dharma; my Father was more than just a little lax, at work, or in front of the T.V, with very little in between.
    This persona of mine broke away at 19, when it literally bust into flames; spiritual spontaneous combustion; I had had an enormous spiritual disturbance accompanied by a massive influx of knowledge, all whilst trying to repair the whole in my
    daśā, that had been the cause ...

Having slowly learnt to deal with the energies at play, and this has now been fairly done in following my own dharma, no longer trying to fit in; above all, ignoring any advice from the Western scientific indoctrinated masses, a frightfully conceited bunch. Ironic really, as I was meditating upon quantum physics when this occurred.
    My more recent lessons have been those of acceptance, understanding; returning to my own nature, that that I was when a child, creative; before the ceaseless indoctrination and the hammering of the mindless exams and the ridiculous explanations.

The next tricky lesson now being; how to live with that, so that I might work; this is now happening, perhaps this is my dharma, or is that Karma?

Rather like regulating the settings on a burner; neither too hot, nor too cold. If by the dharma of others the flame dies; to hot you simply burn up. Best find a valid guide, or, risk trial and error, but I should not like to do this blindly.

Who's dog is dharma anyway?

Kind regards.

अग्निं दूतं वृणीमहे होतारं विश्ववेदसम्।
    अस्य यज्ञस्य सुक्रतुम्॥
    agniṁ dūtaṁ vṛṇīmahe hotāraṁ viśvavedasam |
    asya yajñasya sukratum ||

अग्निमीळे पुरोहितं यज्ञस्य देवं ऋत्वीजम्।
    होतारं रत्नधातमम्॥
    agnimīḻe purohitaṁ yajñasya devaṁ ṛtvījam|
    hotāraṁ ratnadhātamam||
    Last edited by Mana; 10 August 2013 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post

Who's dog is dharma anyway?

Kind regards.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Dear Mana,

It is agreed that a dog is somewhere out there, and the question is whose dog is it.

The dog oscillates between the two, the cosmic and the miniature, like the fluttering of the wings of a bee.

Pulsation of the consciousness is so rapid that it cannot be easily determined; therefore we rely on the scriptures to find a peaceful solution to this closed book.

According to the scriptures the dog belongs to Him.

Who is He?

Advaitha Vedanta is a systematic interpretation of this specific topic.

Though there are no direct answers given, it implies an orderly logical arrangement made as part of progress toward a higher Goal, the Happiness, which is beyond the paradox of pleasure and pain.

========

Only the actualization of this experience can suture and transform our emotions, thoughts and volitions. Hence we should be performing an effortful attempt to attain the goal.

Love
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

om gurave namaḥ

Namaste Brahman,

And what a supurb solution it is that they offer; I am bemused by the wealth of the structure contained within; quite enough to satisfy the most enquiring of minds, the most profoundly beating hearts.

Your initial post leads me to think that in applying fully our heart to our creative endeavours; in a way fitting our dharma, we can satisfy our need for action, in a way best fitting our current state of being, and that of those with whom we live; rather than causing to great a shock to another's perception of dharma.

Thank you so much for inspiring the thought of truly divine wisdom that is that of the Gita. I am still very much digesting this knowledge. The wisdom is self evident upon hearing it; yet so tough to digest!

So much still to explore ...

Kind regards.

om gurave namaḥ

Namaste Brahman,

Your initial post leads me to think that in applying fully our heart to our creative endeavours; in a way fitting our dharma, we can satisfy our need for action, in a way best fitting our current state of being, and that of those with whom we live; rather than causing to great a shock to another's perception of dharma.

Kind regards.
    Dear Mana,

The topic is being preserved intact; however, the ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’.

The perception of beauty is taking place within the mind and modified by individual bias.

When we are attracted towards the beautiful, that thing by itself has no power to attract us if we are not already alive to the quality we see in it. Before we see the beauty in something, there must be within us an idea of beauty, a power to see it, and a love for it.

These writings can only awaken that dormant sense of beauty in us.

In our own case, if our inside was not thus stimulated and aroused to be projected onto this subject, we would not have been pulled in that direction in the first place.

========

A good example of it is open to easy view, for you had two opposing notions while going through my first post:

1) The first part of the heart of your second post is intended with some possibility of fulfilment, or a hope.

Your initial post leads me to think that in applying fully our heart to our creative endeavours; in a way fitting our dharma, we can satisfy our need for action, in a way best fitting our current state of being, and that of those with whom we live;

2) When it comes to the second part of the post, an emotion is experienced in anticipation of some specific pain or danger, or a fear.

rather than causing to great a shock to another's perception of dharma.

Let's go back to the opeing post for further reading:

Quote Originally Posted by brahman View Post
    Now, the one engaged in activities not confirming with their inner nature will be far different from the ones adhered to svadharma: boredom arises from having to do something not liked, and there will also be the fear what was done may have been wrong. The person’s strongest emotion will be the desire to get the job done somehow and leave. Thus Paradharma, however good it be, render every moment of life insipid and fearsome; where the final goal remains Happiness with one's situation in life.
    ========

We repeat:

The highest form of Happiness is not any kind of excitement, as in the case of pleasure, but total Fearlessness. Love

ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

om gurave namaḥ

Namaste Brahman,

Yes as the old adage says; Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I will only agree to this being true at a certain level. We are connected by a substructure which pervades everything, in such a way by which its own self recognition, is a force for its own procreation. Like this, we find recognition in the similitude of patterns most appealing, yet they must also surprise us, so as to bring delight.
    Our bias in lineage, due to this self repetition, is at times so great, that we no longer see that our desires have pulled a veil over everything ...

I am still learning how to interact with others who's understanding of Reality is very far removed from my own, the lessons here given by Krishna Ji are superb. As such any sudden change in the energy of my words is most certainly due to the difficulty I find in consolidating my current perception and belief, with that of those about me.

My dharma is, I believe, to conciliate this difference.

Any fear is a residual effect of my hospitalisation at age 19; to be drugged by ones own family and doctors, when in the midst of a spiritual realisation, is quite tricky to digest. I like to think that I am getting there; my discovery of the divine science of Jyotiṣ has been the culmination of this path, confirming, revitalising and stabilising in me, the truth of that which I had seen; It is difficult not to get a little cross, for all the lost time learning ones own dharma, because it has not been taught to you in more traditional ways, due perhaps to its having been forgotten.

Krishna Ji's words mean very much to me, thank you for highlighting them; I had in fact, hesitated to write of a similitude seen between the examples in your first posting and some of teachings that I have recently learnt, in my Jyotiṣ class; I must suppose that you were reading in my phrasing, the reticence that I have felt, by
    not writing this.
    The teaching was, in relation to the 1st house being so movable; movement by indirect effect from the dual 3rd house, touching only slightly upon the fixed 2nd; like moving a finger the 1st 2nd and 3rd
    phalanges of the index finger; represent the 1st 2nd and 3rd houses; implying subtlety in action.

This is the "shape" that this wisdom has caused me to think of.

Very perceptive of you, my Dear Brahman!

Kind regards.

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=DimGray]om gurave namaḥ

Namaste Brahman,

Yes as the old adage says; Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I will only agree to this being true at a certain level. We are connected by a substructure which pervades everything, in such a way by which its own self recognition, is a force for its own procreation. Like this, we find recognition in the similitude of patterns most appealing, yet they must also surprise us, so as to bring delight.

Our bias in lineage, due to this self repetition, is at times so great, that we no longer see that our desires have pulled a veil over everything ...
    Dear Mana,

You have every freedom to express your point of view.

However, it’s a pity that you don’t see these posts, and the philosophy of Advaita Vedanta in the sense that all are connected by a substructure which pervades everything, in such a way by which its own self recognition, is a force for its own procreation.

===============

World is a wonderful reality of great Beauty. But we are misfortunate to see it as it is.

We are cut off from reality, and to that extend we suffer.

This methodology is precisely meant for the people in suffering. Love
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

om gurave namaḥ

Namaste Brahman,

I tend more towards the Kashmir philosophy than to that of strict
    Advaita Vedanta, believing thoroughly that knowledge is binding, and that only knowledge of undifferentiated knowledge can set us free. I will agree that suffering is present and at times excruciating, especially when there is movement; I have done tapas for 20 years but have been rewarded with knowledge and understanding as to how to use my own senses for better perception, although the process seems to be rather slow.
    After words are spoken said and actions done, this is simply the burning of karma, and I do like to believe this will significantly ease my lot in my next attempt at freedom should I miss the door this time round, my limited knowledge of jyotiṣ has already shown me this.
    The endocrine hum, in which I at times reside, can be quite blissful, and the joy of helping others in their struggles is more than enough to keep my thoughts appeased.

It is not easy and we do pay so heavily for seeing. Although I have no real regrets in this notion, having chosen to prey for knowledge of the divine; and I did prey for this knowledge before my initial "experience".

It is, I feel, the gap which creates the appearance of pain; but someone must offset this to keep the balance in Reality
    (DC offset); to that extent I do not see my self as being out side of reality, but more a counter balance, in some obscure system of cause and effect, a system which is most apparent through the eyes of a yogi or a Jyotiṣ. Thus the need for the Vedanga in understanding the Vedas.

This methodology is to my mind, the growth of transcendental knowledge, and should really be cherished if we are able, as it is the only knowledge and method capable of giving a lucid direction to humanity globally; I do feel your pain.

It is all very well being born a King in Bhūloka, but if the Kingdom in which you are born is a rubbish dump then nobody wins but śani.
    This is arguably where we are in the world of material success today; the fact that this is not seen by most is why we might need consider our own action rather than retreat into the hills. Māyā and her glorious forms are all illusion in our consciousness, making the field of citta and the immediate wheel of saṁskāra. But This material world is much slower to regenerate and replenish its own cycles than those of our conciousness and, although they are one, they are separated by vasudeva long before our comprehension yet are still very much tied to our own; unless we want to be reborn into a dustbin, someone must slow down the insane Vritti of materialism and other senseless ritual. Caused by the mindless feeding of the fire that is our ceaseless human desire.
    Like any hearth, care must be taken to maintain the flame correctly, pouring petrol onto it just because you can, will surly not sustain that flame for very long, and is rather an insult to both our past, and our future generations.

If I must suffer for seeing and interpreting, then so be it. I take delight in the knowledge and experience that I have of the Divine mother; picking me up when ever I might fall or find doubt; God is above my understanding; my perception being far to limited to maintain any perception of a form such as he.
    I am very grateful that others have expressed their vision before now; as a guiding light for all those who tread upon this path, such that their way be adequately lit.

So is not pain, a sign of growth? The methods given as a key or a map, for those who have real need; carried by, well, by carriers; who do so unquestionably for our benefit.
    Rather like the pixels in a larger image, there is an order coming from another plane, and as we watch the decimal places of Pi unfold before us, from the middle onwards, we are sure that there is a reason to the sequence, but we can't quite put our finger on what it is; perhaps it is for lack of better resolution, or rather, lack of distance ...

Even this thought brings me joy; I hope you find something satisfying in this imagery, I find comparison and sharing of experience to be such a boon ...

I am still digesting your initial posting, and thank you again for inspiring the line of thought.

Kind regards.

om gurave namaḥ

Namaste Brahman,

Reading back, I am now wondering which sect I should post under, feeling a great affiliation with all the lineages, but I am irreversibly non liner and proud to be so; I do truly worship light, its primary source and all of the forms which manifest within. I see conciousness everywhere in the patterns which manifest and know this to be the work of the divine mother, from which we are born. I know that there is much more beyond
    Vásudeva, who is quite unfathomable; as is Black energy or Black matter reflected in śakti.

All of which is God conciousness, so what of dharma in regards to any one particular sect? Perhaps different speeds or gears of infinity of the self. To what extent we might be able to ignore the differentiation of knowledge is another matter altogether, a fluctuating process dependant solely upon our human biological time. To slowly introduce another to this view, is to lift the veil from one who is already ostracised and suffering from that, their desire for moksha is great.

I think that that pain, and its ingestion, are the single most important reserves of a Jyotiṣ; it is through pain and knowledge of pain, that we are able to empathise, a Jyotiṣ who can not empathise, will not see nor understand the suffering of others in the same light; the light that of understanding. Emotion is a light source emanating from the dance of Agni within our beings, as the winds of either fuel the flames having a rhythm or Chandas of its own; differing amongst us but ultimately relating to the cosmos; I love to see that.

During the day time; I feel like an astronomer at night; With the exception that I am within a constellation. Who's reality is this after all?
    To be an enigma within a subset of a Reality, projected by the blind; is not any great problem to my mind, so long as one knows that ones real place is in the heart.

Please do excuse my ramblings ...

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Mana; 14 August 2013 at 01:34 AM.

om gurave namaḥ

Namaste Brahman,

Even this thought brings me joy; I hope you find something satisfying in this imagery, I find comparison and sharing of experience to be such a boon ...

Kind regards.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Dear Mana,

Yes, the Joy will burn out the pain; according to Vedanta, however, this can be true only if the joy is founded on truth.

Because the truth does not change; what is true today should be true tomorrow also. Thus truth is consistent and continuous.

Truth has an inner homogeneity, and if we are experiencing it, naturally we will be in a state of harmony.

W
    hat we seek is peace, the peace that can be associated with unbroken happiness.

Where there is unbroken happiness there is no fear, gain or pain.

=============================

All of which is God conciousness, so what of dharma in regards to any one particular sect? Perhaps different speeds or gears of infinity of the self. To what extent we might be able to ignore the differentiation of knowledge is another matter altogether, a fluctuating process dependant solely upon our human biological time.

To slowly introduce another to this view, is to lift the veil from one who is already ostracised and suffering from that, their desire for moksha is great.

Kind regards.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Of course we can create a situation in which knowledge may grow, but all we can do is be available and wait for knowledge to come.

It’s like sleep: both are natural occurrences.

Love
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

Thread Information