Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shiva Bhajans

Re: Shiva Bhajans

Namaskar friends,

Thanks for posting all the beautiful stotrams and songs.

I love Dakshinamurthy Stotram. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7szrz6auvc

Mauna-Vyaakhyaa Prakattita Para-Brahma-Tattvam Yuvaanam
    Varssisstthaam-Te Vasad Rssigannauh Aavrtam Brahma-Nisstthaih |
    Aacaarye[a-I]ndram Kara-Kalita Cin-Mudram-Aananda-Muurtim
    Sva-[A]atmaaraamam Mudita-Vadanam Dakssinnaamuurti-Miidde ||

Meaning:
    1: (Salutations to Sri Dakshinamurthy) Whose Exposition through Profound Silence is Awakening the Knowledge of the Supreme Brahman in the Hearts of His Disciples; Who is Himself Youthful ...
    2: ... but is Sitting Surrounded by Old and Great Sages who are Devoted to Brahman,
    3: The Hands of the Supreme Spiritual Teacher is Forming the Cin-Mudra (gesture of the Knowledge of Brahman) and Whose Appearance is Still and Blissful,
    4: Who is Rejoicing in His Own Self which is reflected on His Blissful Face; Salutations to Sri Dakshinamurthy.

Vishvam Darpanna-Drshyamaana-Nagarii-Tulyam Nija-Antargatam
    Pashyann-Aatmani Maayayaa Bahir-Ivo[a-U]dbhuutam Yathaa Nidrayaa |
    Yah Saakssaat-Kurute Prabodha-Samaye Sva-[A]atmaanam-Eva-Advayam
    Tasmai Shrii-Guru-Muurtaye Nama Idam Shrii-Dakssinnaamuurtaye ||1||

Meaning:
    (Salutations to Sri Dakshinamurthy Who Awakens the Glory of the Atman within us through His Profound Silence)
    1.1: The Entire World is Like a City Seen within a Mirror, the Seeing happening within One's Own Being,
    1.2: It is a Witnessing happening within the Atman, (the Witnessing) of the Externally Projected World; Projected by the Power of Maya; As if a Dream in Sleep,
    1.3: One Experiences this Directly (this Play of Maya) during Spiritual Awakening within the Non-Dual Expanse of One's Own Atman,
    1.4: Salutations to Him, the Personification of Our Inner Guru Who Awakens This Knowledge through His Profound Silence; Salutation to Sri Dakshinamurthy.
    Biijasya-Antar-Iva-Angkuro Jagad[t]-Idam Praangga-Nirvikalpam Punah
    Maayaa-Kalpita-Desha-Kaala-Kalanaa Vaicitrya-Citrii-Krtam |
    Maayaavi-Iva Vijrmbhayaty-Api Mahaa-Yogi-Iva Yah Sve[a-I]cchayaa
    Tasmai Shrii-Guru-Muurtaye Nama Idam Shrii-Dakssinnaamuurtaye ||2||

Meaning:
    (Salutations to Sri Dakshinamurthy Who Awakens the Glory of the Atman within us through His Profound Silence)
    2.1: This World is Like a Sprout of a Seed Within which transforms what is Changeless state Before, appear Again ...
    2.2: ... as Space and Time, and endless Varieties of Pictures over it; all due to the Creation of Maya,
    2.3: This Unfolding of the World (from the Seed) which is Like a Play of a Magician, happens to one Who is Like a Mahayogi out of His Own Free Will (i.e. a Mahayogi can enter the state of Samadhi out of his own free will and witness the unfolding of the world when He comes out of Samadhi),
    2.4: Salutations to Him, the Personification of Our Inner Guru Who Awakens This Knowledge through His Profound Silence; Salutation to Sri Dakshinamurthy.

Yasya-Eva Sphurannam Sada[a-A]atmakam-Asat-Kalpa-Arthakam Bhaasate
    Saakssaat-Tat-Tvam-Asi-Iti Veda-Vacasaa Yo Bodhayaty-Aashritaan |
    Yat-Saakssaat-Karannaad-Bhaven-Na Punaraavrttir-Bhavaam-Bho-Nidhau
    Tasmai Shrii-Guru-Muurtaye Nama Idam Shrii-Dakssinnaamuurtaye ||3||

Meaning:
    3.1: By This Throb Alone which is of the Nature of Eternal Underlying Awareness, the Unreal Forms get their Meanings and Appear over the Mind,
    3.2: This Knowledge of the Atman Spoken of in the Vedas as "Tat-Tvam-Asi" is Imparted by Our Inner Guru as a Direct Experience when we Surrender Whole-Heartedly to Him,
    3.3: By Direct Experience of this Knowledge, the Delusion of being tossed within an unending Ocean of Worldly Existence will Not Appear Again,
    3.4: Salutations to Him, the Personification of Our Inner Guru Who Awakens This Knowledge through His Profound Silence; Salutation to Sri Dakshinamurthy.

Naanaac-Chidra-Ghatto[a-U]dara-Sthita-Mahaa-Diipa-Prabhaa Bhaasvaram
    Jnyaanam Yasya Tu Cakssur-Aadi-Karanna-Dvaaraa Vahih Spandate |
    Jaanaam-Iiti Tam-Eva Bhaantam-Anubhaaty-Etat-Samastam Jagat
    Tasmai Shrii-Guru-Muurtaye Nama Idam Shrii-Dakssinnaamuurtaye ||4||

Meaning:
    4.1: As the Light of a Great Lamp Situated Inside a Pitcher having Many Holes, Shine Outwards, ...
    4.2: ... similarly, the Knowledge of That Only (i.e. Atman) Throb Outwards through our Eyes and Other Sense Organs,
    4.3: "I Know", He Alone Shining (i.e Atman), This Entire World Shines ...
    4.4: Salutations to Him, the Personification of Our Inner Guru Who Awakens This Knowledge through His Profound Silence; Salutation to Sri Dakshinamurthy.

Deham Praannam-Api-Indriyaanny-Api Calaam Buddhim Ca Shuunyam Viduh
    Strii-Baala-Andha-Jaddo(a-U)pamaas-tv[u-]Aham-Iti Bhraantaa Bhrsham Vaadinah |
    Maayaa-Shakti-Vilaasa-Kalpita-Mahaa-Vyaamoha-Samhaarinno
    Tasmai Shrii-Guru-Muurtaye Nama Idam Shrii-Dakssinnaamuurtaye ||5||

Meaning:
    5.1: Those who Consider the Body or Prana (Vital Force) or Sense Organs or the Changing Mind or the Void (Total Non-Existence) ...
    5.2: ... as the "I", are Like a Naive Innocent Girl Child, or a Blind, or a Dull-Headed; they are Deluded but they Vehemently Assert their Points,
    5.3: The Inner Guru Destroys this Great Delusion Created by the Play of the Power of Maya,
    5.4: Salutations to Him, the Personification of Our Inner Guru Who Awakens This Knowledge through His Profound Silence; Salutation to Sri Dakshinamurthy.

Raahu-Grasta-Divaakare[a-I]ndu-Sadrsho Maayaa-Sama-[A]acchaadanaat
    San-Maatrah Karanno[a-U]pasangharannato Yo(a-A]bhuut-Sussuptah Pumaan |
    Praag-Asvaapsam-Iti Prabodha-Samaye Yah Pratyabhijnyaayate
    Tasmai Shrii-Guru-Muurtaye Nama Idam Shrii-Dakssinnaamuurtaye ||6||

Meaning:
    6.1: Just Like the Sun and the Moon are Eclipsed by Rahu, the Pure Consciousness is Eclipsed by Maya (for a spiritually ignorant person),
    6.2: A Spiritually Elevated Soul can enter that state of Unborn Deep Sleep (i.e. Pure Consciousness) by Withdrawing His Sense Organs to such an extent that Only the Real Essence remains,
    6.3: That state (i.e. Pure Consciousness) is experienced during Spiritual Awakening whereby one clearly Perceives that "Before I was Sleeping" (by being eclipsed by Maya),
    6.4: Salutations to Him, the Personification of Our Inner Guru Who Awakens This Knowledge through His Profound Silence; Salutation to Sri Dakshinamurthy.

Baalya-Adissv(u)-Api Jaagrad-Aadissu Tathaa Sarvaasv[u]-Avasthaasv[u]-Api
    Vyaavrttaasv[u]-Anu-Vartamaanam-Aham-Ity[i]-Antah Sphurantam Sadaa |
    Sva-[A]atmaanam Prakattii-Karoti Bhajataam Yo Mudrayaa-Bhadrayaa
    Tasmai Shrii-Guru-Muurtaye Nama Idam Shrii-Dakssinnaamuurtaye ||7||

Meaning:
    7.1: During Boyhood and Other stages of Life (Youth, Old age etc), during Waking and Other states (Dreaming, Deep Sleep, Turiya etc) and Similarly in All Conditions ...
    7.2: ... the Atman Always Shines as the "I" Within, Free from All Conditions but at the same time Present in All Conditions,
    7.3: The Inner Guru Awakens this Knowledge of One's Own Atman to those who Surrender to Him; this Knowledge which is represented by the Auspicious Cin-Mudra,
    7.4: Salutations to Him, the Personification of Our Inner Guru Who Awakens This Knowledge through His Profound Silence; Salutation to Sri Dakshinamurthy.

Vishvam Pashyati Kaarya-Kaaranna-Tayaa Svasvaami-Sambandhatah
    Shissya-[A]acaarya-Tayaa Tatha-Eva Pitr-Putraady[i]-Aatmanaa Bhedatah |
    Svapne Jaagrati Vaa Ya Essa Purusso Maayaa-Paribhraamitah
    Tasmai Shrii-Guru-Muurtaye Nama Idam Shrii-Dakssinnaamuurtaye ||8||

Meaning:
    8.1: The Differentiations that we See in the World as Cause and Effect, as Possessor-Possession Relations, ...
    8.2: ... as the Disciple-Teacher, and Also as Father-Son Relations etc, are all Differentiations within the One Atman,
    8.3: In Dream or Waking state, He, the One Purusha is always present, and (as if) Maya Wanders over Him and gives rise to all these Differentiations,
    8.4: Salutations to Him, the Personification of Our Inner Guru Who Awakens This Knowledge through His Profound Silence; Salutation to Sri Dakshinamurthy.
    Bhuur-Ambhaamsy-Analo-[A]nilo-[A]mbaram-Aharnaatho Himaamshu Pumaan
    Ity[i]-Aabhaati Cara-Acara-[A]atmakam-Idam Yasya-Eva Muurty[i]-Assttakam
    Naanyat Kin.cana Vidyate Vimrshataam Yasmaat-Parasmaad-Vibhoh
    Tasmai Shrii-Guru-Muurtaye Nama Idam Shrii-Dakssinnaamuurtaye ||9||

Meaning:
    9.1: Earth, Water, Fire, Air, Space, Sun, Moon and Jiva, ...
    9.2: ... are Verily His (i.e. Atman's) Eight Manifestations Shining within the Moving and the Non-Moving forms,
    9.3: Apart from Him (i.e. Atman) there Cannot Exist anything; The Yogis who Reflect (i.e. Meditate) within Discover Him as the Essence From Which Everything Originates, ... Discover Him as Existing Beyond Everything as the Eternal Essence,
    9.4: Salutations to Him, the Personification of Our Inner Guru Who Awakens This Knowledge through His Profound Silence; Salutation to Sri Dakshinamurthy.

Sarva-[A]atmatvam-Iti Sphuttii-Krtam-Idam Yasmaad-Amussmin Stave
    Tena-Asya Shravannaat-Tadartha-Mananaad-Dhyaanaac-Ca Sangkiirtanaat |
    Sarva-(A)atmatva-Mahaa-Vibhuuti-Sahitam Syaad-Iishvaratvam Svatah
    Siddhyet-Tat-Punar-Assttadhaa Parinnatam Ca-[A]ishvaryam-Avyaahatam ||10||

Meaning:
    10.1: Since the Divine Essence in All is Made Clear in this Hymn,
    10.2: Hence by Listening to It, Contemplating on its Meaning, Meditating on It, and Glorifying it,
    10.3: One becomes Endowed with the Greatness of the Knowledge of the Divine Essence ( present in All ); Perhaps the Divine Essence by Itself ...
    10.4: ... will Awaken within him after that Again, the Eightfold Manifestations of Divine Powers (Siddhis) Unimpeded.

Source of translation - http://www.greenmesg.org/mantras_slo...hy_stotram.php
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Namaste,

I just wanted to share with all of you a song that I have been listening to a lot lately. I will play it in my car to and from work, and after listening to it and singing it for 20 or 30 minutes, I feel amazing. I feel the same as if I would have spent that time meditating.

I believe the words are as follows. Can anyone interpret?:

Jaya jaya Shiva Shambho (x4)
    Mahadeva Shambho (x4)
    Shiva Shiva Shiva Shambho (x4)
    Mahadeva Shambho (x4)

Here is the video, I hope you enjoy!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGBh3sjnP9E

Thank you for letting me share. Pranam.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

Thanks for sharing this beautiful bhajan.
    I'll try to translate it.

Jaya jaya Shiva Shambho (x4)
    Mahadeva Shambho (x4)
    Shiva Shiva Shiva Shambho (x4)
    Mahadeva Shambho (x4)

Jaya! (Let us chant)
    Victory to Lord Shiva,the ever auspicious one.
    Victory to Lord Shambu,the one who grants wishes and provides happiness to his devotees.
    Jaya! Victory to Lord Tripurantakeshwara,the slayer of the Tripura demons.

O Lord Mahadeva,you are greatest among all the Devas,
    O Lord Shambu,O bountiful one.My salutations to you.
    Shiva,Shiva,Shiva,
    Let I attain joy by repeating your name,
    Let your name pervade everything,
    Let everything I do be filled with you,Shiva,Shiva,Shiva.
    Let I attain joy by repeating your name.
    Jaya! (Let us chant)
    Victory to Lord Shiva,the ever auspicious one.

Forgive me if there are any mistakes._/\_

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste Ram, and thank you for taking the time to translate that for me. I feel I get so much more from listening to and singing the songs when I know the meaning behind the word. I am always amazed that in the translations so few words are translated into so many.

Ram, what is the story behind that breathtaking picture?

Pranam.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

The image is of Tripurasura Samhara.Kindly read this article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripurasura
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,

Just wanted to share another favorite: Jai Uttal & Ben Leinbach - Mahadeva
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEW1vA4rfIk

I am ecstatic over the abudance of beautiful music I have been finding. I've always loved music but had such a hard time finding songs that I enjoy. Now I know where they all are.

Aum Namah Shivaya!
    Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

Here's another one I really like, it's called Hara Shiva Shankara, by Jai Uttal. It starts off very slow, then about two minutes in picks up a really jazzy beat, it's different but I really like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnMbMxQFk40
    Om Namah Shivaya

Namaskar,

So many wonderful posts, thanks so much everyone! Such lovely music! And special thanks for the words and translations.
    Ram, such lovely art you've been posting lately, and this one of Pasupati against the Tripurasura is stunning.

I have some music I want to post but I need to check it against what has already been posted. While I do this, here is one for Sri Ganapati which hasn't been posted. Warning in advance it's modern and from the 2012 remake of Agneepath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc0IHjupsAA

I have a very soft spot in my heart for this song. We were in a Sari shop in old Lucknow as a Ganaesha Chaturthi Immersion parade assembled outside the front door, we were completely unawares until the pink powder, glitter and rose petals started flying from a canon and the drums started up. They had a big truck a few feet away at the front of the line with more speakers than I've seen in nightclubs piled on the back, and they were blaring this song, live drummers playing along. It's one of my favorite memories in this life.

I have it on video, but every time I try and upload it to you tube it gets blocked because the song is too clear. In fact, that's how we figured out what the song was to get a copy.

This is the aarti bhajan they play at the end within the song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjwP24iyn1Q

Ganapati Baba Morya!

~Pranam-s
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 12 May 2014 at 11:48 AM.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaste,

Some of the lovely bhajans I've been listening to lately - so many of the ones I listen to are from this thread though. =D

Maha Ganapati Mool Mantra & Ganesh Gayatri - Uma Mohan

Shiva Chalisa, two versions I really love:
    Sung by Anuradha Paudwal
    Sung by Suresh Wadkar

Shiva Amritwani sung by Anuradha Paudwal

Bakthiyal Yaan unnai - KJ Yesudas

Thiruchandur Thirupugal

Thirupugazh 15 (Aragara Sivan Ari)

Versions of Panchakshari Stotram:
    Panchakshari Stotram
    Uma Mohan's version

Shiva Manas Puja, Uma Mohan & G. Gayatri Devi

Shambo Mahadeva Deva. Shri Margabandhu Stotram Uma Mohan
    Shiva Bhajan I can't find a name or artist for

Rudraashtakam:
    Pt. Hari Nath
    Krishna Das

Shiva Mahimna Stotram (pt1 pt2 pt3) or by Shri Ramesh Bhai Oza

Jaya Shiva Shankara by Namaste

Om Namah Shivaya - Shankar Mahadevan

Ganapati Prarthana & Ganapaath

So many of these were found thanks to this fantastic thread, thank you again Fem, and everyone for contributing. My apologies if I have re-posted something already posted by another, it's difficult to keep track. =)

~Pranam-s
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information