Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Females - Jeans/T-shirt banned at Kapaleeswara Temple, TN

Females - Jeans/T-shirt banned at Kapaleeswara Temple, TN

Namaste,

The temple trust committee has woken up finally - all Western clothes and tight clothes including Jeans, T-Shirt, Bermudas, skirt, etc to be banned from being worn by females within the temple premises, at Kapaleeswara Temple, TN. At Tiruchendur and Chidambaram temples, already there is a ban on males wearing shirt, similar to the rules still being followed in some Kerala temples. Now Kapaleeswara temple, TN joins them with this rule about female attire, allowing them to be in the temple only in saree and Salwar Kameez. What a relief! Some male bhaktas need not be 'swayed' anymore by the hip-hugging jeans and tight T-shirts of some young female 'devotees' nor these young females need to solicit such glances from the males anymore!

Pranam.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Females - Jeans/T-shirt banned at Kapaleeswara Temple, TN

Namaste Viraja,

Why restriction is applied only to female devotees?

In Thirupathi, people from Tamil Nadu are visiting the shrine in lungi. The same devotees wear black or blue Veshti when they go on a pilgrimage to Sabari malai. Why?
    Anirudh...

Namaste.

I agree with what the temple trust did...banning jeans and t-shirts.

It's not so much the 'body hugging' sexual nature of the clothing, but it's more about tradition...about respect for God.

When my teenage daughter went with me to Mukti Gupteshwar Mandir, she wore jeans and a t-shirt and I wore a full ankle-length frilly skirt with undergarments, a long-sleeved blouse and a shawl (there's no way you'd catch me dead in a Sari or Shalwar Kameez).

I was like: "you can't wear that because dungarees aren't Hindu clothes...pretty, feminine things are".

Clothing must be modest and not in a sexual way, but in a practical way.

Still, a lot can be said for 'putting a lot of wrapping paper on the present'.

She came with me, dressed in Jeans and T-Shirt though, just to look at the temple.

I am very old school though and I won't even go inside a Mandir without even having my head covered...

The only females in the Temple with a fully covered head, was myself and a few older ladies.

This also needs to be addressed.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 19 August 2013 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    Namaste.

I agree with what the temple trust did...banning jeans and t-shirts.

It's not so much the 'body hugging' sexual nature of the clothing, but it's more about tradition...about respect for God.

When my teenage daughter went with me to Mukti Gupteshwar Mandir, she wore jeans and a t-shirt and I wore a full ankle-length frilly skirt with undergarments, a long-sleeved blouse and a shawl (there's no way you'd catch me dead in a Sari or Shalwar Kameez).

I was like: "you can't wear that because dungarees aren't Hindu clothes...pretty, feminine things are".

Clothing must be modest and not in a sexual way, but in a practical way.

Still, a lot can be said for 'putting a lot of wrapping paper on the present'.

She came with me, dressed in Jeans and T-Shirt though, just to look at the temple.

I am very old school though and I won't even go inside a Mandir without even having my head covered...

The only females in the Temple with a fully covered head, was myself and a few older ladies.

This also needs to be addressed.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Wearing proper attire to temples out here in the West is a completely different question. It cannot be said that those few Westerners frequenting the temples should all be made to wear Saris and Salwar kameez - they might not find much use for these clothes apart from those infrequent temple visits!
    At the max, what could be said here, is probably saying things like "shorts and tank-tops" should be avoided. (Much like what they say during employment in most Corporate offices). Your description of 'modest clothing' totally fits.

But out in India that is not the story. Everyone owns Sari and Salwar Kameez. So making a rule that only Indian clothes should be worn perfectly fits there.

But, that doesn't seem to be the story with Kapaleeswara temple. It seems the temple management noticed the males staring at females in tight jeans, etc, and finding that it is an unwanted distraction, banned such attire from the temple premises! All temples should follow this, but they can make some provision for those scanty Westerners who might visit the temple.

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste Viraja,

Why restriction is applied only to female devotees?

In Thirupathi, people from Tamil Nadu are visiting the shrine in lungi. The same devotees wear black or blue Veshti when they go on a pilgrimage to Sabari malai. Why?
    Sorry Anirudh ji, I've been to Tirupathi twice but I did not notice devotees in Lungi... both the times we went we did 'Anga pradakshina' and got up at 3:00 am and took bath in the temple pond and were totally keeping our 'madi'. Yes, I strongly agree, they should not let anyone in who wears a lungi inside any temple!

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Sorry Anirudh ji, I've been to Tirupathi twice but I did not notice devotees in Lungi... both the times we went we did 'Anga pradakshina' and got up at 3:00 am and took bath in the temple pond and were totally keeping our 'madi'. Yes, I strongly agree, they should not let anyone in who wears a lungi inside any temple!
    Viraja ji,

Anga pradakshinam these days has become too complicated
    You should get ticket (free of course) previous day from the building opp to railway station. Only 500 or 750 devotees are allowed per day. Entry in to temple complex is around 1.30 a.m but have to wait till 2.30 or so. Last time I did was in July 2012.

What I wanted to point out in earlier communication was why people need gender based policing inside the temple to maintain the sanctity

And few people behave differently in different temples and that really hurts
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    Namaste.
    Rules are rules, and any organisation is free to make its own rules. I think it is normal that people dressing in a way that others take offence off are disallowed entrance. But if the concern is offence then one might also be sensitive to the fact that some Indians take offence of westerners appropriating their dress.

But respect for God? What has that got to do with it? If I remember well Krishna took the clothes away from the gopis, which was a rather disrespectful act from human perspective. in fact Krishna often shows blatant disrespect for standards of propriety.

And does Krishna take offence of Sadhus walking naked under his eye. Or is it only in temples that he becomes aggravated by these things.

Personally I would think Krishna would be more aggravated by people calling him Jesus and look the other way when all kinds of aDharm go on under the defence that they are to busy seeking Moksha with him than to bother about these things. Thus making Krishna an accomplice.

That is how understand Krishna, a person that undresses people from false pretence.

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Wearing proper attire to temples out here in the West is a completely different question. It cannot be said that those few Westerners frequenting the temples should all be made to wear Saris and Salwar kameez - they might not find much use for these clothes apart from those infrequent temple visits!
    At the max, what could be said here, is probably saying things like "shorts and tank-tops" should be avoided. (Much like what they say during employment in most Corporate offices). Your description of 'modest clothing' totally fits.

But out in India that is not the story. Everyone owns Sari and Salwar Kameez. So making a rule that only Indian clothes should be worn perfectly fits there.

But, that doesn't seem to be the story with Kapaleeswara temple. It seems the temple management noticed the males staring at females in tight jeans, etc, and finding that it is an unwanted distraction, banned such attire from the temple premises! All temples should follow this, but they can make some provision for those scanty Westerners who might visit the temple.
    Namaste.

It's not so much that.

With sarees, I cannot put them on, no matter how hard I try. Somebody always has to do it for me and then I find myself always treading on the front of it when I walk (even if I hold it up) and the folds in the front keep on unraveling. When I sit down, I have to be careful how I sit...the number of times a sari has almost fallen off me is incredible!

I have never gotten used to wearing them and I doubt I ever will.

With Shlawar Kameez - I don't like the cut or style of them and I haven't found one yet pre-made in any fabric/material I like. I guess I could always choose the material and get one tailor made, but I can't be bothered doing so.

Hence the reason why I never wear such things. They are way too impractical for me.

Aum Namah Shivaya

I think jeans are ugly. Be they on men or women. God help you if you are sexually attracted to such people.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Vannakkam: I sure wish some of the temples in the west had stronger dress codes. It's embarrassing. But often it's the people who should be leading who aren't. At the temple I attend, I know only 4 men who come dressed in traditional clothing always. I'm one of them, and none of us will even enter the place if we're dressed casual.

I differ on blue jeans, though, because for landscaping and physical labour, denim is about the toughest stuff about. So they are work clothes.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information