Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Ganapathi pooja in Vaishnavism

Re: Ganapathi pooja in Vaishnavism

Pranam

While i do not deny Narayana, does he get mention in Veda saMhitA? secondary text yes, on the same token Ganesh ji is clearly mentioned here Rg Veda 2.23.1. Aum gananAm tva ganapatingm havamahe (even though with some reservation for some) but vedantist as par excellence as,do not deny his existence and eulogise him in;

Ganesh Bhujangam - Adi Shankaracharya

I praise the ruler of Gaṇa, Who is the son of Īśāna (Śiva), Who appears pleasing with the sounds of joyful swinging small bells across His body, Whose lotus-feet is trembling to the dance of Tāṇḍava in rebellious ways, and Who has a snake-garland shining over His belly.[1]

enough said!!

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam

While i do not deny Narayana, does he get mention in Veda saMhitA? secondary text yes, on the same token Ganesh ji is clearly mentioned here Rg Veda 2.23.1. Aum gananAm tva ganapatingm havamahe (even though with some reservation for some) but vedantist as par excellence as,do not deny his existence and eulogise him in;

I praise the ruler of Gaṇa, Who is the son of Īśāna (Śiva), Who appears pleasing with the sounds of joyful swinging small bells across His body, Whose lotus-feet is trembling to the dance of Tāṇḍava in rebellious ways, and Who has a snake-garland shining over His belly.[1]

enough said!!

Jai Shree Krishna
    Pranam-s,

I do not wish to argue nor debate, especially not...since this is the Honorable Vaishnava Forum.

But, I believe, if I recall correctly, Rishi Grtsamada Bhārgava Shaunaka is lauding Devatā Brahmaṇas-Pati, not Shri Ganesha.

Though, please, by all means, correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Pranam-s,

I do not wish to argue nor debate, especially not...since this is the Honorable Vaishnava Forum.

But, I believe, if I recall correctly, Rishi Grtsamada Bhārgava Shaunaka is lauding Devatā Brahmaṇas-Pati, not Shri Ganesha.

Though, please, by all means, correct me if I am wrong.
    Brahmanaspati is considered to be Ganesha by Hindus, though indologists consider him a form of Brihaspati.

Rig Veda 2.23 is dedicated to Ganesha.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by Omkara View Post
    Brahmanaspati is considered to be Ganesha by Hindus, though indologists consider him a form of Brihaspati.

Rig Veda 2.23 is dedicated to Ganesha.
    Pranam-s,

That is very interesting. Thank you for your help.

Similarly, we cannot go upto a particular jiva and tell him "You are the supreme lord who creates, sustains and destroys the universe"
    Namaste Omkar

You know I am going to go around the world doing just that, but not out loud, only in the antaranga, so the Supreme Bramhan hiding in layers and covers has no choice but to grin. The jiva's mana-buddhi will have no clue. What fun! Just the Lord and me ~ and no one has a clue of what's going on.

ShAstra? If you indeed want shAstra, SB 1.2.33.

Going going gone crazy

A Gopi said to her sakhi

"Look, KRshNa has taken sooo many forms, He actually came to the neighbourhood for 5 days as "GaNesh" and coolly accepted worship from unsuspecting innocent people. While living in homes for 1.5 to 10 days, just imagine the amount of butter He must have stolen! Oh no, but it was the blissful bliss-giving NArAyaNa or Bramhan that had come in the guise of "GaNesh". He does not steal butter.

And now look, He is walking around in sooo many forms -
    a coconut tree, ashoka tree, champa, mogra jui kadamba lotus rose
    Radharani came as the pink rose tree, but KRshNa came as Radharani
    a bulbul, canary, parrot, crow, sparrow, KokiL, robin, bhAradvAj
    cute children playing
    people walking on streets
    your next door neighbours, back neighbours, front neighbours, ...
    all people on this thread - they are fighting for and against "GaNesh" - so cute.

Well, it is important for establishing correct VaishNav practice.
    The VaishNavs have the answers, and others have their opinions.

And look KRshNa is also posing as Narendra Modi, Gurus, sAdhus, yogis, teachers, students, pujaris, kathakars, and all different beings.

Why, He is posing as me and you!
    Oh my MAdhavA! I think the head is about to spin."
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Pranam

enough said!!

Jai Shree Krishna
    Excuse me... but taittirIya AraNyaka is a "secondary text?"

Please explain the objective basis for that comment.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Excuse me... but taittirIya AraNyaka is a "secondary text?"

Please explain the objective basis for that comment.
    when i say secondary i don't mean to down play the importance of Brahmanas, Upanishad, Aranayaks that forms the part of sruti but when i say Samhita i mean the hymn, just the mantras that are contained in the vedas.

Kamakoti org;
    When we speak of "Veda-adhyayana" (the study or chanting of the Vedas) we normally have in mind the Samhita part only. When we bring out a book consisting of the Samhita alone of the Rgveda we still call it the "Rgveda". The Samhita is indeed the very basis of asakha, its life-breath. The word means "systematised and collected together".
    The Rgveda Samhita as all in the form of poetry. What came to be saled "sloka" in later times is the"rk" of the Vedas. "Rk" means a "stotra", a hymn. The Rgveda Samhita is made up entirely of hymns in praise of various deities. Each rk is a mantra and a number of rks in praise of a deity constitute a sukta.http://www.kamakoti.org/hindudharma/part5/chap27.htm

I stand by my statement, Narayan does not appear in veda saMhitA

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Keep in mind that I am not saying that Ganesha is the Supreme Brahman. He is a Jiva.
    Are you stating this from a Vaishnava POV or your understanding as a Shaiva?

Pranam

when i say secondary i don't mean to down play the importance of Brahmanas, Upanishad, Aranayaks that forms the part of sruti but when i say Samhita i mean the hymn, just the mantras that are contained in the vedas.

Kamakoti org;
    When we speak of "Veda-adhyayana" (the study or chanting of the Vedas) we normally have in mind the Samhita part only. When we bring out a book consisting of the Samhita alone of the Rgveda we still call it the "Rgveda". The Samhita is indeed the very basis of asakha, its life-breath. The word means "systematised and collected together".
    The Rgveda Samhita as all in the form of poetry. What came to be saled "sloka" in later times is the"rk" of the Vedas. "Rk" means a "stotra", a hymn. The Rgveda Samhita is made up entirely of hymns in praise of various deities. Each rk is a mantra and a number of rks in praise of a deity constitute a sukta.http://www.kamakoti.org/hindudharma/part5/chap27.htm

I stand by my statement, Narayan does not appear in veda saMhitA

Jai Shree Krishna

Feel free to stand by that statement, because it is meaningless.

taittirIya AraNyaka is not a "secondary" text. Study of the veda did traditionally include study of upaniShad-s, brAhmaNa-s, and AraNyaka-s in addition to saMhitA-s. There is no basis for giving greater importance to the saMhitA-s, and your long-winded rationalization above is arbitrary and unconvincing. The TA contains the entire puruSha-sukta and also contains mantras used for sandhya-vandanam, both of which cross sampradAya boundries in terms of significance. Adi shankarAchArya accepts the conclusion of the mahAnArAyaNa upaniShad that nArAyaNa is the brahman of the veda-s and upholds the supremacy of nArAyaNa over other deva-s in his gItA commentary. The vedic character of the mahAnArAyaNa is quite obvious from studying it, and there is no logical basis for ascribing lesser importance to pramANa-s from it, unless you just want to spam arbitrary arguments for the purpose of sectarian one-upmanship against Vaishnavas.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Feel free to stand by that statement, because it is meaningless.

-----
    And you think your statement has any meaning! i had no reason at all to indulge in inane discourse with you, that on a Vaisnava thread, no sir but when you make in a public forum statement like
    " In fact, there is no universally accepted shruti which even mentions gaNesha.
    i just could not keep quite, just saw me where in saMhitA ????

Jai Shree Krishna

Thread Information