Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work needed by a great Acharya..

Work needed by a great Acharya..

Namaste,

Some great Acharya should really come forward and take up the task of presenting an entire puja in ENGLISH (without any Sanskrit). Often times these days, many people from other nationalities are converting into Hinduism and do not have the means for proper deity worship and they feel apprehensive about or fear from numerous doubts, whether or not one can recite slokas and pujas in English language. They are unable to do the puja in Sanskrit due to linguistic barriers/inability to pronounce.

Therefore it would be a great service to humanity if a great Acharya of our times comes forward to present entire pujas in English language.

What would be your thoughts, members?
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Work needed by a great Acharya..

Namaste,
    I don't know what you mean. In the west most services are done in local language mostly in English to cater to not only new Hindus but to children of Indians too who don't know anything about Hindi or Sanskrit.

If people are apprehensive in general they should not come to the temple then. It just means that they are not ready yet. We need not shove Hinduism down the throats of anyone especially the apprehensive ones.

You have made the problem of apprehensiveness of new comers a problem of an acharya. How is that an acharya's problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

Some great Acharya should really come forward and take up the task of presenting an entire puja in ENGLISH (without any Sanskrit). Often times these days, many people from other nationalities are converting into Hinduism and do not have the means for proper deity worship and they feel apprehensive about or fear from numerous doubts, whether or not one can recite slokas and pujas in English language. They are unable to do the puja in Sanskrit due to linguistic barriers/inability to pronounce.

Therefore it would be a great service to humanity if a great Acharya of our times comes forward to present entire pujas in English language.

What would be your thoughts, members?
    satay

Namaste. jai shri krishna.
    Happy Krishna janmashtami ♥

First i want to tell u that there is not a converting in hindu vedic dharma. One should b born as a hindu to become a hindu. Birth in hindu spiritual family is very very rare. Even gods wish to get a birth in hindu family.

According to me, puja can not b done without Sanskrit. Mantras are not an ordinary syllables, Mantras r divine pulses containing very mystic powers in each syllable.

e.g. can you make a translation of " om " ? You can not use other word for om. The same is for all mantras.

Regards.
    Hari On!

To Hinduism(luv)Krishna,

Please do not say that only born Hindus can be Hindus. That is very offensive to all the practitioners of hinduism worldwide.

To Satay ji,

I am not asking that Hinduism be forced upon anyone! I am even confused what in my question that gave this impression in the first place!

You might find that there are numerous slokas rendered with their English translations these days to benefit those who want to recite it in English, because they cannot pronounce Sanskrit.

These days there seems to be a growing interest in those who want to do full-fledged pujas, some of them being Westerners and such who cannot pronounce Sanskrit without training of sorts.

And if we take some full-fledged pujas, for example, Vaibhava Lakshmi Puja or Satyanarayana puja, there are so many mantras, first for Ganapathi 'aavahanam', then to invoking Ashtadik Balakas and so forth. Then only slokas are recited.

Therefore I am wondering if some Acharya comes forward to render all these mantras also on English, that would benefit so many wanting to do puja in English language.

Ofcourse, my question has the added question of 'whether entire slokas and mantras can be translated as such' but then arises the doubt 'Why not'.

Vannakkam Viraja: I've had this explained to me by one viewpoint, and that is the power of sound. Sound has corresponding vibratory rates, and Sanskrit has been tried and true for a long time. So it's not just the meaning but also the sound itself. In all languages inflection, rate, volume, also have meaning.

So that's okay.

versus So that's okay?

Is just a subtle rise in volume at the end, but it changes the meaning substantially.

I do think the meaning should be taught in English, and not just the Sanskrit. This can go hand in hand, on the same booklet or page, so the learner can work on both. It's hard enough to learn a new language, let alone 'think' in the new language.

All the pujas I've ever learned were done this way, so for example, I'll read "Aum bhur bhuvah suvah acamaniyam samarpayami," as well as "Aum! In all three worlds we humble offer you fresh pure water for sipping."

So the intent is to learn the words to say and also think it. I've found that my pujas do seem to be better the more I can say it right as well as think it right.

Aum Namasivaya

It is a great thing to be able to do the pujas in Sanskrit, EM ji. Well, as you say, the mantras cannot be translated into English afterall!

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    It is a great thing to be able to do the pujas in Sanskrit, EM ji. Well, as you say, the mantras cannot be translated into English afterall!
    Vannakkam: I thought that's what I just demonstrated ... that they can be translated ... well enough to think it.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam,

I agree with EM and others. The mantras themselves hold power. The tone creates a frequency just as Aum vibrates through the universe. We can translate the meaning into English so us non Sanskrit speakers know the meaning. Then we can practice the mantras in Sanskrit- youtube is a great help in this.

Learning Sanskrit for puja is not an impossible task. In fact think of it as a form of bhakti.

Aum Hari Aum!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmidevi View Post
    Vannakkam,

I agree with EM and others. The mantras themselves hold power. The tone creates a frequency just as Aum vibrates through the universe. We can translate the meaning into English so us non Sanskrit speakers know the meaning. Then we can practice the mantras in Sanskrit- youtube is a great help in this.

Learning Sanskrit for puja is not an impossible task. In fact think of it as a form of bhakti.

Aum Hari Aum!
    I am just starting to try to learn Sanskrit, so I can learn to recite mantras and verses from the Gita in Sanskrit. I have a natural talent for Languages, and so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do it. Right now I'm having a little difficulty with the alphabet, so I have tio read the romanised Sanskrit text in my Gita. Hopefully I'll be able to read the regular Sanskrit text before very long.
    Jeff (a.k.a. Govinda Das)

Hindu Quaker.
    Though I am eternal, immutable, and the Lord of all beings, yet I manifest Myself by controlling material Nature, using My own divine potential energy, the Divine Light
    (Bhagavad Gita 4:6

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I've had this explained to me by one viewpoint, and that is the power of sound. Sound has corresponding vibratory rates, and Sanskrit has been tried and true for a long time. So it's not just the meaning but also the sound itself. In all languages inflection, rate, volume, also have meaning.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by govind_das View Post
    I have a natural talent for Languages, and so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do it. Right now I'm having a little difficulty with the alphabet, so I have to read the romanised Sanskrit text in my Gita. Hopefully I'll be able to read the regular Sanskrit text before very long.
    You are one fortunate soul. Best wishes on mastering Sanskrit pronunciations.

Pranam.

Thread Information