Thread: Moksha

Moksha

Hi, I'm new in this philosophy. I am a former christian who came to the conclussion that there must be more than just one life.
    My question is: ¿What are the main things I need to learn/do in order to attain moksha?

Thanks.

Re: Moksha

Quote Originally Posted by ale84 View Post
    Hi, I'm new in this philosophy. I am a former christian who came to the conclussion that there must be more than just one life.
    My question is: ¿What are the main things I need to learn/do in order to attain moksha?

Thanks.
    Vannakkam and Welcome,

Fall in love with God. I'm not talking about a lip service love or even a hallmark style. I mean a love that resonates in every fiber of your being.

Aum Hari Aum!

Thanks.
    Vannakkam: Welcome to these forums. This is no simple question, and especially difficult to answer when the questioner has a western faith background. There is a lot one must do. A good place to start would be Patanjali's yoga sutras, and the first step there is moral living, called the yamas. The second step is restraint, called nyamas.

Hindus don't view moksha as some easy task, or something you can just go out and get, like buying your way into heaven. It's a many lifetime natural outcome of living according to dharma.

Aum Namasivaya

For Moksha to come by, one needs to be taken under the care of a qualified 'Acharya' or 'perceptor' who can show us the way.. And that does not happen until we are 'ready'.. How can we be ready for a teacher? Those are the steps given by Lakshmi devi and EMji above.

For my input, I would say that constantly watching out for one's internal evils and curbing them is a good way to begin. Why do we take birth? It is because of imbalance in our own constitution - we are prone to any of the 6 internal evils - anger, jealousy, pride, lust, greed, delusion. We can constantly watch out for any of these 6 evils from ruining our internal balance and take necessary corrective steps. Then keep practicing devotion unto the Lord and serve his devotees. Finally, moksha itself happens only because the Lord's grace falls upon us inevitably.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

To attain moksha means to go to God.
    This is explained in Bhagavad-gītā 9.34 (see here http://vedabase.net/bg/9/34/) :

"Engage your mind always in thinking of Me, become My devotee, offer obeisances to Me and worship Me. Being completely absorbed in Me, surely you will come to Me."

regards

Thanks.
    Namaste.

There are quite a few 'paths' you can take to achieve Moksha, represented by all the different styles of Yoga and Hindu Philosophy.

You can worship God with love and devotion (as stated above) and that is called Bhakti Yoga.

You can meditate and concentrate on God in your own mind and that is called Raja Yoga.

You can chant the Holy Names of the Lord and become immersed in His presence and that is called Japa/Mantra Yoga.

You can do certain physical postures and body locks diverting the flow of body energies with your breath and that is called Hatha Yoga.

You can study the Holy Scriptures and become immersed in God through knowledge and that is called Jnana Yoga.

You can serve humanity as a selfless act of benevolence and that is called Karma Yoga.

You can adopt certain methods for purification of the physical body and mind and that is called Kriya Yoga.

There are many sub-genres I haven't included..Laya Yoga, Tantra Yoga etc.

Any of the above, practiced with full awareness, focus, dedication and intent will eventually lead to Moksha.

Often, a few are practiced simultaneously, like Raja Yoga, Jnana Yoga and Hatha Yoga....or Bhakti Yoga, Mantra Yoga and Karma Yoga.

So, that is the key. Find the best approach that suits you, then go find a teacher in that approach.

All the best.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste again, ale84.

Just as a small footnote, I just had a slight revelation which may be of significance here.

I know the word 'Yoga' means 'union' but union with what? My Higher 'Self'? God/Brahman? I eventually had that one figured out when I also realised that Hatha Yoga meant Sun/Moon Yoga or Yin/Yang Yoga or later, Ida/Pingala Yoga take it how you will.

*Ida/Pingala - Left/Right major Nadi (psychic nerve channel) leading from base of spine to crown in head.

**See, I am keeping Yajvan happy now. =)

The Yoga 'union' became Buddha's 'Middle Way' or 'Twilight' or 'Shushumna' and that was what 'Yoga' meant to me.

*Shushumna - Major Nadi central to Ida & Pingala.

However, today's revelation? 'Yoga' doesn't mean 'to unite' but through uniting!

So, Bhakti Yoga becomes join through Love, Jnana Yoga becomes join through knowledge and Laya Yoga becomes join through absorption.

Of course, I already knew this after worshiping the sacred Dakini for a while - I was merely reminded of it.

* In Hindu Tantra, Dakini, Shakini, Kakini, Kamini are names of Shaktis or powers who control the different Chakras.

It was really nice that along with Maha Kala, Goddess Dakini is also represented in both Hinduism and Buddhism - so they both became my Ishwara.

Through the Goddess, I just knew. Through studying the Soundarya Lahari (or my later recollections of it) I finally found Her grace.

Divine Dakini!!! Tara!!! Maheshwari!!! Please forgive me.

Aum Namah Shivaya

This is just because I cannot contain it inside anymore and need an 'out' somewhere...

The line drawings of Kala Bhairava and Dakini are amazing!

I love the old Gods and Goddesses from before the Hindu Renaissance and preferably northern Indian:

Then, there's my favourite of all (which also explains it all - if you only knew).

Now, I think I am about to join smaranam in where my heart has gone....*sigh*

Aum Bhatuk Bhairavaye Namah
    Last edited by Necromancer; 13 September 2013 at 03:40 AM.

Thread Information