Thread: Five Faces of Shiva and the SS Agamas

Five Faces of Shiva and the SS Agamas

Namaste

As doctrine for Saiva Siddhanta, there is the Agamas. There are 64 Kashmir Saiva Agamas and the 28 Saiva Siddhanta Agamas. There are two classifications of the Saiva Siddhanta Agamas. They are Shiva Agamas and Rudra Agamas. There are 10 Shiva Agamas and 18 Rudra Agamas.

Let us look at the Five Faces:

The Sadyojata face revealed the Kamika, Yogaja, Cintya, Karana and Ajita. These were
    taught to Kausika Rishi.
    Sadyojata (Brahmā)
    Sristhi Shakti (Power of Creation)

The Vamadeva face gave rise to Dipta, Sukshuma, Sahasra, Amsumat and Suprabheda,
    and taught them to Kasyapa Rishi.
    Vamadeva (Vishnu)
    Stithi Shakti (Power of Sustenance)

The Aghora face revealed Vijaya, Nisvasa, Svayambhuva, Agneya (or Anala) and Vira,
    And gave them to sage Bharadvaja.
    Aghora (Rudra)
    Samhara Shakti (Power of Dissolution)

The Tatpurusha gave rise to Raurava, Mukata, Vimala, Chandrajnana and Mukhabimba
    (or Bimba), and taught them to Sage Gautama.
    Tatpurusha (Maheshvara)
    Tirodhana Shakti (Power of Concealment)

The Isana face revealed Prodgita, Lalita, Siddha, Santana, Sarvokta, Parameswara, Kirana
    and Vatula to Sage Agastya.
    Ishana (Sadashiva)
    Anugraha Shakti (Power of Revealment)

There are no caste or gender restrictions or any such exclusions or discriminations regarding having instruction of these SS Agamas, nor in entering an initiation (dikshas) into a transformation of a new name and birth from an Acharya or Satguru who will be your new Father.

The Five Faces of Shiva await all who are sincere. A vast body of Hinduism today is coming from these Agamas and traditions.

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: Five Faces of Shiva and the SS Agamas

Namaste.

Aum.

Tat Purushaya Vidmahe,
    Mahadevaya Dhimahi,
    Tanno Rudra Prachodayat.

Lord Shiva can have one face, three faces, five faces (like a common Rudraksha bead) or infinite faces, depending from which angle you look.

The Five-Faced Lord Sadashiva represents the Five Senses, the Five Elements, the Five Koshas (spiritual sheaths) and everything else that's Holy and comes in 5, just as the 3-faced Lord Shiva represents the 3 Modes of material Nature, the 3 levels of Mind and the 3 Faces of the Almighty God (Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva).

What you are talking about, I learned about briefly as the 'Sadashiva Chakra'
    http://www.kamakotimandali.com/srivi...ivachakra.html

I only got into the basics of it before it started to go way over the top of this young girl's head (and unfortunately stayed there).

Oh here we go, I can understand this one a lot more (and what I would also say if I tried to explain it):
    http://www.manblunder.com/2009/05/fi...-of-shiva.html

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    I only got into the basics of it before it started to go way over the top of this young girl's head (and unfortunately stayed there).

Oh here we go, I can understand this one a lot more (and what I would also say if I tried to explain it):
    http://www.manblunder.com/2009/05/fi...-of-shiva.html

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Vannakkam: Usually this stuff goes way over my head too. When I was in Mauritius, many of the lingams there were the 5 faced variety.

But a great point of all this is the importance of the Saiva Agamas to Saivism. @SF ... Thank you for this. It is indeed vast. I'm sure you've heard of the digitilisation project, of which over a million pictures were taken. It was then divided by 7 and sent in pieces to 7 different priest training schools in TN for study and eventual implimentation.. Much of what comes out will be 'new' as in not used for over a thousand years.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    What you are talking about, I learned about briefly as the 'Sadashiva Chakra'
    http://www.kamakotimandali.com/srivi...ivachakra.html

Namaste.

Okay, I'm revisiting this tonight with what I remember from my old Sanskrit study days to try and translate a layman's guide to the Sadashiva Chakra.

The mantra we all chant "Aum Namah Shivaya" is called a 'Panchakshara Mantra' or simply a '5-syllable Mantra'. The "Aum" isn't a part of Aum Namah Shivaya. Aum is called "Pranava" which I have taken to signify as some kind of 'binding force'.

So, it's just Na-Ma-Shi-Va-Ya = yes, the 5 Faces of Lord Shiva...the 5 syllables in His holy Mantra that's what it's all about.

The "Aum"...the "Pranava" is that which is beyond those 5 Faces - that's the 6th Face Lord Shiva doesn't show.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thread Information