Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to recognize an 'Enlightened' Person?

How to recognize an 'Enlightened' Person?

Namaste Everyone.

I'm having a crisis of faith here.. more specific, some cognitive dissosance.. I would hate to bring up a controversial topic, and everyone assumes i'm baiting or trolling, because I dont have time to be active or participate much in my own threads after I ask a Question. I promise this isnt the case, and whenever I do have a chance, I will provide feedback to posts also.

Anyways.. I would like to know from a Hindu Perspective, how can a Seeker spot or recognize an Enlightened or Self Realized person? What are the signs? Do they behave in any certain way, or present themselves in any particular manner? Are they Humble? Do they shout their version of the truth from the rooftops? Do they feel the need to talk down on others peoples belief systems or philosophies??

On the internet, it is all dialogue to me.. If someone believes themselves to be wise or enlightened, they still carry ego-based opinions. Opinions are just that.. Opinions.. But how would a wise person see their very own opinion? Doesn't it come down to an opinion about opinions after all? No matter what, In this world, no 2 people are going to agree with each other on every single thing, I have noticed this, even when they do share beliefs in the same philosophies!

I'm very dissapointed with today's so called spirituality rising here in the western world, people claim to be enlightened, or obtain fragmental 'realizations' and they think themselves to know everything! It Frustrates me!

That is just impossible. Nobody knows everything, we have biological limited faculties we perceive reality with. Everyone is human after all, and we are all flawed in our perceptions, whenever we our focus inwards, we can only be revealed a fragmented portion of the truth, we interpret, extrapolate meaning from and then form into concepts. It just seems like the brains work, and human nature to provide for the brains needs.. Our Brains hate uncertainty..So we have to fill that belief bucket with something.. Anything.. I'm not talking down on anyone's views directly here, so please don't take this personal, but this is where people end up thinking they have the final perfect and special view.

Even Enlightened people cant agree on everything when it comes to the wider existence that pervades all.. How can I take any 'truth' for granted.. Does it come down to Faith in God, or Faith in myself?

Would really Like to know the Hindu perspective of knowing A Genuine Self Realized person, whether they practice the Dharma or not.

Thank you all and God bless.
    Last edited by Spirit Seeker; 05 September 2013 at 06:45 PM.
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. ~Joseph Dunninger

Re: How to recognize an 'Enlightened' Person?

In our times, Sri Kanchi Periyavar was considered a self-realized person. He had been able to tell, just by looking at a (deserving) new comer, who his ishta devata had been, is said to exclaim, "Why have you come to me? Your Rama nama japa is enough to procure the said things to you!" at one man. Another woman is said to have dreamt of Sri Lakshmi Narasimha which also the tapaswi was able to tell precisely. He is said to have given remedies which worked. He was said to be able to converse and have darshan of Goddess Kamakshi. So these are some of the example behaviors of a self-realized yogi:

i. Being able to tell things about unknown people.

ii. Have advanced intuitive power, being able to tell things that would happen in future.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Sita Ram Spirit Seeker,

If by "enlightened" you mean a Self-realized person, the main thing to know is that such a person is extremely rare. Self-realized people are most commonly found in India, and chances are that they aren't online.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Thank you both for your responses.

If by "enlightened" you mean a Self-realized person, the main thing to know is that such a person is extremely rare. Self-realized people are most commonly found in India, and chances are that they aren't online.
    Excuse my ignorance, I was under the impression these terms were inter-changeable, as some would assume, enlightenment as is described in Buddhism would be similar to Self-Realization in Hinduism. The Buddha Came from a Hindu Background originally from what I hear.
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. ~Joseph Dunninger

Dear Spirit Seeker,
    Perhaps the only way to know is if he can make you see what he is seeing.
    If he can aid you "be" what he is being.

There is no other means.
    But then, for him to be able to convey to you.... you should qualify as a descent student. A Student who is sincere and seeking the truth rather than some temporary lulling of mind.

The problem , in most cases, is ... the student is not ready. So he or she is more impressed by the pseudo guru's beard or dress ... naturally they fall for the wrong person.

Let the student be ready first and then identify a guru who can make him see what he himself sees. The proof of the pudding is in eating ... as you see what the guru sees you know that the Truth is revealed and the guru sees too. But since you yourself see now ... you do not depend upon a secondary belief for the understanding anymore.

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Namaste.

Usually, an Enlightened person does not react, they respond.

They will not get hot-headed and angry if somebody insults them, nor will they use obscene language and belittle others.

If somebody tells them off, they'll usually just laugh, ask 'why?' or just ignore/bless them.

An Enlightened person doesn't hurt other people in thought, word nor deed.

They remain in a state of detachment or equanimity. They are compassionate towards all living things.

They don't charge money for any services and have no material attachments. An enlightened person doesn't wear expensive clothes, jewelrys and say " that will be $50 for a Chakra Cleanse".

If they see your Chakras need cleaning, they'll just do it without you even knowing it...straight at the time.

Just being around an enlightened person rubs off on you and you'll definitely know it, without the question even needing to be asked.

There's like a static charge in the air whenever they are around - like they give off their own form of 'radiation' and it emanates in waves from their body.

If you look into the eyes of an Enlightened Soul, you will get lost in them - they will drink you - they will strip you naked, they will do a 'scan' of your Soul and the sage will know everything about you then.

They may/not have Siddhis - usually those who have Siddhis are attached to them - to their own accomplishments and prowess, so it becomes 'oi there, look what I can do and if you follow me, you can do it too'.

An Enlightened Soul usually won't display Siddhis to prove who they are and/or if they are Enlightened to anybody else. See, here's the cruncher - an Enlightened Soul really doesn't care if you believe they are Enlightened or not. It makes absolutely no difference to them.

So, if you ask an Enlightened Soul to prove they are Enlightened, they will simply just laugh and go 'watch this space' or ask you 'why do you want me to prove it? Is that for your benefit or mine?'

Siddhis will be shown - only just not on demand and it won't be your 'textbook siddhis' either - it will be like receiving a book from the Enlightened Sage you were only just thinking about yesterday, but you told no-one about it. There will be so many coincidences that are more than just coincidental.

There's a whole Chapter in the Bhagavad Gita dedicated to this, Chapter 5 IIRC. Read the Bhagavad Gita. It will tell you.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 06 September 2013 at 12:35 AM.

Namaste.

How does a 'wise person' view their own opinion?

'Yeah, so I'm just putting that out there - feel free to either agree or disagree. I'd like to know why you either agree or disagree though and 'I disagree because you are an idiot' doesn't count as being a logical reply'.

Even Enlightened people cant agree on everything when it comes to the wider existence that pervades all.. How can I take any 'truth' for granted.. Does it come down to Faith in God, or Faith in myself?
    It all comes down to 'faith in oneself (not in the ego sense, but in the 'spiritual potential' sense) - with the help and support of God'.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 05 September 2013 at 10:35 PM.

Namaskaaram Spirit Seeker:

I am sorry that you are (rightly) disappointed with many people claiming to be enlightened. Apart from the excellent list of Necromancer, I would like to add.

1. You feel humbled by great people but among the enlightened and compassionate gurus, you feel hopeful and inspired.

2. See what is the ultimate thing promised. If it is only material gains, beware. I say only because some, in their compassion may want to offer wealth as an initial lure but instead gift bhakti.

3. As the ISKCON people put it, it is relatively safe if the bona-fides are established - i.e. it is clear as to the sampradaya eg. Veerashaiva, Achintyabhedabheda, Nimbarka, etc. If that is clear, you would also know what are the texts that are held important and that would always help for self study/purification.

4. I may be wrong here (so someone please correct me as I may be wrong). An enlightened person usually knows what you are capable of and does not prescribe many difficult sadhanas apart from your regular karma/duties. Rather, after a while of association, you might start doing more due to your own eagerness (so that it is no longer like a sadhana). For example, a Shaiva follower may after some time on his/her own start reciting Shri Rudram many times a day just because "īt feels right".

I hope your suitable guru finds you soon (my apologies if you do have a guru). In any case, if it helps, many such great people do exist today also. As pointed out, one excellent example was Shri Chandrashekharendra Swamiji. Even today, just looking at his photograph makes you feel serene.

IMHO, the above is actually quite fortunate if you reflect. It is the abrahamic faiths that are like a single palm tree in a desert. Different traditions represent different ways to enjoy and get lost in Bhagavan. I think your conscience supplemented with knowledge would be your greatest witness/test before you accept anything.

To me, at a very immediate instead of abstract level, Tulsidasji or Hanumanji would get lost is Shri Rama and maybe even ignore Shri Krishna and say that Shri Rama is the "poorna brahmam". But anything less is not to be expected and similarly, Sant Soordas's devotion to Shri Dwarakadish is what makes him a great bhakt.

Since I do not grasp the finer points of the acharyas' debates, I do not bother to take sides but, I am sure, in front of Bhagavan, they also probably represent different ways to enjoy "nirguna brahmam" like we are attracted to different forms. It is however delightful to see that great scholars have taken so much interest and out of compassion for people like me, reinterpreted the sacred texts and laid out several paths.

I hope this post was not tangential as it is too long.
    Jai SitaRama

Namaste.

If I wanted to take a good, honest look at myself and ask 'am I really all that 'wise', 'humble' and a 'God-Realized/Self-Realised person'? I may look like 'arrogant person' online here...

To say either 'yes' or 'no' answer...well, both would be a lie.

I can always be humble about it, but I can't keep lying for the sake of humility and say I have experienced nothing. I can only say I have experienced something as opposed to nothing.

What the nature of that 'something' is? I'm just calling it 'Shiva'. I figure if Brahman and Shiva are 'One', why not just keep calling Brahman, Shiva then? Seemed simple enough - so the "I" lost nothing in the process...

Yes, I can be humble, but not as the sacrifice of what I have/am feeling, what I believe true in my heart and what I personally know, if/not it is irrelevant. All I can say is....love is incredible!

Do writers write books for themselves or for the audience? If the author was forever worried about the audience criticizing his work harshly, do you think we'd ever have any books to read? That's how I see this whole thing.

If I had to answer truthfully, respectfully and to the best of what I really do not and ever cannot know, all I can say is...

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    Namaste.

Usually, an Enlightened person does not react, they respond.

They will not get hot-headed and angry if somebody insults them, nor will they use obscene language and belittle others.

If somebody tells them off, they'll usually just laugh, ask 'why?' or just ignore/bless them.
    Nor does an enlightened person express their frequent frustrations over 'online life' in 'online fora'....
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thread Information