Thread: Oil Pulling and Coconut Oil

Oil Pulling and Coconut Oil

Namaste,

I don't know if this has been a topic broached before on HDF, but does anyone here practice oil pulling with coconut, sesame or similar kind of oil for oral health? My father (who has suffered a heart condition as well as a neurodegenerative disorder) has recently been introduced to this practice by an old family friend who swears it has done wonders for her health. In particular she was emphasizing the benefits of 100% virgin coconut oil that is cold-pressed. I have heard the same benefits could be found with either sesame or sunflower oil.

Intrigued on hearing that this was a time-revered Ayurvedic practice and that it was mentioned Charaka Samhita, I decided to give it a try too. According to this philosophy, all major human diseases start in the mouth. While I have no major ailments to speak of, I have noticed that this oil pulling practice is a great way to clean the mouth and gums of bacteria which leads to bad breath and the teeth are naturally whitened.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried this before, or practices this type of cleansing regularly?

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Re: Oil Pulling and Coconut Oil

Vannakkam Sunyata: I'd never heard of it until now. I've used neti pot for allergies in the spring, and I'll definitely try this, not that I've read about it. Hopefully we can do some follow-up posts in a month or so.

So thank you.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Oil Pulling and Coconut Oil

Sita Ram,

Coincidentally, a website that I irregularly follow just had a post about this practice today. According to them, sesame oil and sunflower oil are the best, although coconut oil and olive oil are good as well.

http://blogs.naturalnews.com/oil-pul...as-oil-tycoon/

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Thread Information