Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do converts accept Indian Hindus?

Do converts accept Indian Hindus?

Namaste,

I am landing on a rather touchy topic. I just recently posted about the virtue of 'ahimsa' that is inherent in vegetarianism and I got hate messages back. This made me wonder, it might not really be the message itself that elicited this response but may be something else is on the way.... such as 'non-acceptance of Indian Hindus' due to various factors, one of the primary being 'racism'?

Please clarify what your observation maybe with regards to these factors I observed about Westerners converting to Hinduism:

a. A resentment when told about vegetarianism - such as going to the extent of calling names on another Hindu if he happens to cite the importance of non-violence through eating vegetarian food. Since Westerners predominantly come from the background of eating meat, it becomes a challenge to them that many Hindus adopt to vegetarianism and thus seem to have a certain resentment towards Indian born Hindus who are vegetarians.

b. An almost violent reaction when Indian born Hindus speak out against bringing Christianity, worship of Christ, etc, including the damage done to India by Christians and Muslims.

The above factors make me wonder if there is really 'racism' that is the underlying factor towards the Western peoples' negative reaction against Indian born Hindus...? If not for racial supremacy, why would someone react in an out-of-context manner resorting to name calling when they encounter the above sentiments being thrown by Indian born Hindus?

Anybody care to respond?
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Do converts accept Indian Hindus?

Vannakkam Viraja: Hosestly, I don't know why (some) westerners have trouble going to Indian temples in the west. I do think suspect fear may play a factor, but there is also the 'newly converted syndrome' for lack of a better way to describe it. I've seen this in all areas of life, not just religion. People tend to be more enthusiastic when they're fresh to something. I encountered this the other night at Ganesha Chaturthi. This new to the temple western man started preaching to me all about Ganesha Chaturthi and it's significance, with no asking on my part. It was oddly unusual, and I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd been practicing for 40 years, and was a founding member of the temple. But from His view he sure knew a lot. It was really odd, actually, and I don't really have a handle on how or why he would behave in this way.
    - It could also be just American ego. I really don't know, just guessing.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Viraja,

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Anybody care to respond?
    I will try.

Firstly, turn off your PM option. That way you will not get any hate mail and everything will have to be said in the forum - for everyone, including the moderators to see.

Secondly, a gentle reminder about ahimsa and vegetarianism may be acceptable, but harping about it constantly is insane. Those who are not ready for the spiritual path, and that includes Indian born Hindus, don't want to be constantly reminded about this aspect of Hinduism. Some interpret it as you imposing 'your' brand of Hinduism on them. For some the word 'ahimsa' brings up the visual of Gandhi, and he was a controversial figure.

Thirdly, don't run to the 'race' differences to explain everything. Although it may be present for some things, it is not the underlying cause of everything. Lot of things that we encounter here are because of cultural programing and not outright 'racism'.

Fourthly, please don't bring the negativity encountered in other forums that you might be visiting, to this forum. Deal with it over there, or stop visiting those forums.

And the final point, think over things and delay posting on complex issues till you have had the time to think clearly and digest the reasons for whatever is bothering you. There is no point in posting something in a haste and then coming back to apologize for it.

Pranam.

Your post deals with more than one issue. First the vegetarianism. ‘Knowledge is purifying’ the banner at the top of the page declares, so please meet up with hindus of ALL backgrounds and gain some good first hand information first and, only then, come back and give readers your account on the veg and non veg issue influencing one’s hinduness. Your perception of vegetarian vis a vis hinduism is very misleading (if any consolation you are not alone on this one). A majority of Indian/Nepali/ Bali/Fiji/ Caribbean born brown hindus do eat meat by family tradition. And that is a demographical fact, I must assure you that social scientists and other reliable sources of census confirm this statistics.

Forgive me for saying so Smt Virajaji, your knowledge of ‘indian ‘ hindus is somewhat patchy, IMO mostly you talk about a couple of communities who also campaign fostering vegetarianism (good deed indeed). Your questioning of the authenticity of meat eating hindus to call themselves hindus as you did in another thread which was deleted makes me wonder if you still are misinformed. BTW I always maintain/ed that vegetarian diet is satvik and meat diet is Tamasic, and then I go no further.
    So let me see how much you know about your ‘fellow’ hindus - are kshatriya community and yadav community vegetarians by tradition (not by individual choice mind you), do their families eat meat at home?! I picked on these two communities just as an example, I can as well ask about Naidus, Goudas, Reddys, Rajputs, Varmas, jhats , add another 100 communities here if you know any. Kshatriyas are the maharaja class, who were the rulers up until recently in all yugas, and Yadava community raised Krishna from the day of his birth in Dwapara yuga. Yes.They did/do eat meat at home (but never beef).

Next lets talk about the Abrahamics- you raised some concerns about the cantankerous abrahamics (many are nice people), presumably you visited one of those forums recently and promptly got bruised a bit in the scuffle that ensued, Im second guessing here. Abrahamics have some serious doctrinal flaws they can not fix (Refer to Dr. David Frawley’s excellent writings) anymore they realized, so they are jittery of late. If hindus, say Gandhi or Dalai Lama(a Buddhist) don’t convert, the pastor and mullah declare, ‘regardless of their dharmic life they all will end up in hell’. The Abrahamics are firm on this, their position remained irrevocable. Ironically, they brought this upon themselves right from when their swords were doing the talking. We have nothing to do with them, lets leave them alone with that fatal anomaly they created at the very inception of their belief system. Why bother when those faiths’ genetic defects will consume them as one can envision. Don’t visit their sites. I would rather want our western hindus to reason with them and do all the talking, because the western hindus can speak the language the Christians understand.
    Namaste.

Thank you, EMji, Believer ji, Charitra ji for a nice response that clarifies regarding many questions I had - I should say your responses lifted my spirits a lot. I understand that I can no more give suggestions on going vegetarian, it just doesn't seem right, after having read Charitra ji's response. Believer ji, you are right, I should not post my experience with other fora here, I will not do that anymore. EM ji, I wouldn't blame you for your experience, I agree in some instances Indian hindus are assuming that they know better (I hope not to have been the case, though ).

I am giving rep points to each of you for taking the time to read, respond and having been totally cool in the way you responded. Thanks again.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Highest Pranam-s,

The number of Hindus in India that consume animal flesh outnumbers the number of Hindus that do not.

And, for the first time, I agree with Believer - about handling outside matters at those other forums instead of bringing it onto HDF in order to seek closure and comfort for troubles caused by expounding vegetarianism.

Namaste,

I am saddened that you have experienced this, which to me seems alien as I haven't come across anyone who is hostile towards Vegetarianism, there is sometimes healthy debate between faiths or even between those of non-faith, this is to be expected.

As for Christianity and Islam, do you mean Christianities and Islams presence in India? As someone who is living in the UK all I can say is we have a multi cultural, secular and diverse society. Temples are built, mosques are built and that is to be expected with immigration as the UK in the present age seeks to defend human rights. No country is insular, we have to accept each others presence in the world and accommodate. If people are practicing their religion and aren't using aggressive or coercive means to convert others then so be it, if people leave one faith for another it is not the fault of the preacher, it simply means they found something which suits them better.

As a side note I in particular like Hinduisms presence here in the UK and long may it continue. I hope the youth growing up in Hindu households continue their traditions and do not stray, but this is Kali Yuga so who knows. I also hope though that the UK has some positive influence on Hindus attitudes towards women and homosexuality, the latter I know can be touchy in some families, but then it can be in non-Hindu families too.

Best wishes to you.
    ~ Om Namah Shivaya ~

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    I am giving rep points to each of you......
    I like cold, hard cash. So, a penny for my thoughts would do me more good than rep points.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

I like cold, hard cash. So, a penny for my thoughts would do me more good than rep points.

Pranam.
    Vannakkam: Although #1 in points is hidden, I'm 2, and you're 3. Let's face it, young man, you won't be happy until you're ahead of me. We know what lies behind these veiled comments. How can a multi-millionaire even want a cent more?

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Do converts accept Indian Hindus? We don't just accept, we Love you.

Hari Om Namah Shivaya <3

There are thousands and thousands of "converts" to Dharma out all over the world...of every color...of every nationality. Some of us are not converts, but remembering something, seeking it...and locating it.

When we find it, i am sure, it is by Bhagavan's Will alone.

I never hated my color more than when i moved through my true home, a Hindu Temple for the first time. For it betrayed a truth i never wanted to accept. The fact i am here and wasn't born there...and must have done something pretty horrible to lead me away from that Divine Truth.

It was never more apparent than at the moment i found my way home...to the Temple...and to the kindred kind...which is Native Hindu.

Ask any one of the "converts" here and i bet if Beloved Mahadeva came to them and offered them an Indian body...i do not think one person would turn that down.

The biggest problem i often see between peoples from different places is Xenophobia.

Where people become so attached to their location, racial identity that they shun others based upon their location of birth and race. Feeling superior in their own skin...when it is nothing more than a decaying shell.

I was born in a place where my white skin was a minority, the religion of my family, one in hundreds...and i was exposed to racism, towards me...at a very early age. One time my sister was forced to chew anothers gum out of their mouth to prove we were not racist.

Through this i was given a gift to understand what it feels like to be on the outside...this is a location i have remained my entire life.

But, even with this education, i was not prepared for the treatment i received from some of the Native Hindus online and in person when i finally became brave enough to accept my identity.

I am not a convert...i was a lost wanderer...and i was kindly redirected...once my lessons were sufficiently behind me. By Shiva's Grace alone am i here to even type this...that i did find my way back.

So much ego is involved in hatred..so so much.

Often times, we see others through the filter of our own emotions and experiences.

Beloved Portion, each of us so dynamically different from each other...yet each of us born of the same Fabric.

Forgive whomever made you doubt the heart of these few blessed folks, who made it Home.

You may not recognize us, but we are Kindred Kind.

Thread Information