Thread: Shiva Lingams

Shiva Lingams

Namaste,

Yesterday I was gifted with a Shivalingam by my family. While they themselves are not Hindu and probably have only heard me allude to lingams, they are aware of my religious beliefs and I assume they must have thought it would be a nice gesture to give this to me. I was quite touched at this, but I'm not sure where this has come from? It's very beautiful, naturally formed out of three different bands of coloured stone (grey, sienna and then a saffron colour?), very solid and smoothe. They assured me from the shop they purchased this that it originates from a river in India (unfortunately they could not name the river or if it was naturally formed, etc.).

This might sound like a silly question, but what is done with Shivalingams? Are they worshipped as a general rule? I am aware that Shiva is worshipped in lingam form by many Saivites, but does it differ from the smoothe egg-like lingams found in rivers as opposed to the ones carved out for the purpose of being installed as murtis? The one my family has given me is quite large. Nearly the size of an ostrich egg and probably just as heavy, so it came with a kind of stand but I'm not sure I feel comfortable with it existing in my home as a decorative display. I already have a lingam in my personal shrine when I want to perform worship for Lord Shiva. Could I include this in with worship when I am doing abhishekam and offering flowers and other devotional gifts?

Any suggestions or comments that might help would be welcome.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Re: Shiva Lingams

Vannakkam Suntata. What you have is a narmada lingam. If you search on that, you'll get lots of hits, especially if you search on images. It will need some sort of base for it to stand. A small container of sand might do.

Some people do set them out as sort of secondary shrines somewhere, part decoration, part worship.

I gifted the large one (about 18 inches high) I bought to a new temple and they happily took it. When we went for the murthi installation, it had made the day for quite a few people there. But this sounds too small for a temple. Still that's a possibility I suppose.

You can test the authenticity generally by rolling it on a hard surface. It should have a slight wobble. If not, it was most likely done on a lathe, and is fake.

Best wishes making a decision.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    Namaste,

Yesterday I was gifted with a Shivalingam by my family. While they themselves are not Hindu and probably have only heard me allude to lingams, they are aware of my religious beliefs and I assume they must have thought it would be a nice gesture to give this to me. I was quite touched at this, but I'm not sure where this has come from? It's very beautiful, naturally formed out of three different bands of coloured stone (grey, sienna and then a saffron colour?), very solid and smoothe. They assured me from the shop they purchased this that it originates from a river in India (unfortunately they could not name the river or if it was naturally formed, etc.).

This might sound like a silly question, but what is done with Shivalingams? Are they worshipped as a general rule? I am aware that Shiva is worshipped in lingam form by many Saivites, but does it differ from the smoothe egg-like lingams found in rivers as opposed to the ones carved out for the purpose of being installed as murtis? The one my family has given me is quite large. Nearly the size of an ostrich egg and probably just as heavy, so it came with a kind of stand but I'm not sure I feel comfortable with it existing in my home as a decorative display. I already have a lingam in my personal shrine when I want to perform worship for Lord Shiva. Could I include this in with worship when I am doing abhishekam and offering flowers and other devotional gifts?

Any suggestions or comments that might help would be welcome.

Om namah Shivaya
    Namaste.

First off, I think it's awesome and really cool that your family is encouraging your worship of Lord Shiva by giving you Lingam, even though they are not Hindu themselves. This really struck at my core (my family doesn't care what I do).

Next, that river your family couldn't mention would have to be the Narmada River - I mean, that river is full of naturally formed Lingams, ranging in size from a grain of rice to the size of a person.

I forget the story exactly now, but two devotees of Lord Shiva (husband and wife) spent all their lifetimes making Shiva Lingams to worship, love and appease Lord Shiva. Eventually the two attained Moksha and the place where they made all these Lingams became a river - the Narmada River.

These lingams are called 'Banalinga' in that they are natural and not man-made. They are the best of all the Lingams:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banalinga

If this is a gift by your family (the best way to get a Lingam) it is, indeed very auspicious! It is like Lord Shiva is giving it to you Himself. I would worship it along with your other Lingam, or even replace it!

You can also keep it as a decorative ornament in your Puja place and not worship it, but pay special reverence to it - in the same way as I do with pine cones, nautilus shells, sunflowers etc.

I also have one of these Narmada River Lingams, but it is very small - about the size of my little finger. It just sits in my Puja place (I sometimes will carry it around with me) because I already worship a quartz crystal Lingam there anyway.

So, in my opinion, Natural > Man-made because nobody does a better job of it than God does!

Lingashtakam:

ब्रह्ममुरारिसुरार्चितलिङ्गम् निर्मलभासितशोभितलिङ्गम् ।
    जन्मजदुःखविनाशकलिङ्गम् तत् प्रणमामि सदाशिवलिङ्गम् ॥१॥

Brahma-Muraari-Sura-Aarcita-Linggam Nirmala-Bhaasita-Shobhita-Linggam |
    Janmaja-Duhkha-Vinaashaka-Linggam Tat Prannamaami Sadaashiva-Linggam ||1||

Meaning:

1.1: (I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam) Which is Adored by Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu and the Gods, which is Pure, Shining, and well-Adorned,
    1.2: And which Destroys the Sorrows associated with Birth (and human life). I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam.

देवमुनिप्रवरार्चितलिङ्गम् कामदहम् करुणाकरलिङ्गम् ।
    रावणदर्पविनाशनलिङ्गम् तत् प्रणमामि सदाशिवलिङ्गम् ॥२॥

Deva-Muni-Pravara-Aarcita-Linggam Kaama-Daham Karunnaa-Kara-Linggam |
    Raavanna-Darpa-Vinaashana-Linggam Tat Prannamaami Sadaashiva-Linggam ||2||

Meaning:
    2.1: (I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam) Which is Worshipped by the Gods and the Best of Sages, which Burns the Desires, which is Compassionate,
    2.2: And which Destroyed the Pride of demon Ravana. I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam.

सर्वसुगन्धिसुलेपितलिङ्गम् बुद्धिविवर्धनकारणलिङ्गम् ।
    सिद्धसुरासुरवन्दितलिङ्गम् तत् प्रणमामि सदाशिवलिङ्गम् ॥३॥

Sarva-Sugandhi-Sulepita-Linggam Buddhi-Vivardhana-Kaaranna-Linggam |
    Siddha-Sura-Asura-Vandita-Linggam Tat Prannamaami Sadaashiva-Linggam ||3||

Meaning:
    3.1: (I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam) Which is beautifully Smeared with Various Fragrant pastes, which is the Cause behind the Elevation of a person's (Spiritual) Intelligence and Discernment,
    3.2 And which is Praised by the Siddhas, Devas and the Asuras. I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam.

कनकमहामणिभूषितलिङ्गम् फणिपतिवेष्टितशोभितलिङ्गम् ।
    दक्षसुयज्ञविनाशनलिङ्गम् तत् प्रणमामि सदाशिवलिङ्गम् ॥४॥

Kanaka-Mahaamanni-Bhuussita-Linggam Phanni-Pati-Vessttita-Shobhita-Linggam |
    Dakssa-Su-Yajnya-Vinaashana-Linggam Tat Prannamaami Sadaashiva-Linggam ||4||

Meaning:
    4.1: (I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam) Which is Decorated with Gold and other Precious Gems, which is Adorned with the Best of the Serpents Wrapped around it,
    4.2: And which Destroyed the Grand Sacrifice (Yajna) of Daksha. I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam.

कुङ्कुमचन्दनलेपितलिङ्गम् पङ्कजहारसुशोभितलिङ्गम् ।
    सञ्चितपापविनाशनलिङ्गम् तत् प्रणमामि सदाशिवलिङ्गम् ॥५॥

Kungkuma-Candana-Lepita-Linggam Pangkaja-Haara-Su-Shobhita-Linggam |
    San.cita-Paapa-Vinaashana-Linggam Tat Prannamaami Sadaashiva-Linggam ||5||

Meaning:
    5.1: (I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam) Which is Anointed with Kumkuma (Saffron) and Chandana (Sandal Paste), which is Beautifully Decorated with Garlands of Lotuses,
    5.2: And which Destroys the Accumulated Sins (of several lives). I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam.

देवगणार्चितसेवितलिङ्गम् भावैर्भक्तिभिरेव च लिङ्गम् ।
    दिनकरकोटिप्रभाकरलिङ्गम् तत् प्रणमामि सदाशिवलिङ्गम् ॥६॥

Deva-Ganna-Aarcita-Sevita-Linggam Bhaavair-Bhaktibhir-Eva Ca Linggam |
    Dinakara-Kotti-Prabhaakara-Linggam Tat Prannamaami Sadaashiva-Linggam ||6||

Meaning:
    6.1: (I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam) Which is Worshipped and Served by the Group of Devas (Gods) with True Bhava (Emotion, Contemplation) and Bhakti (Devotion),
    6.2: And which has the Splendour of Million Suns. I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam.

अष्टदलोपरिवेष्टितलिङ्गम् सर्वसमुद्भवकारणलिङ्गम् ।
    अष्टदरिद्रविनाशितलिङ्गम् तत् प्रणमामि सदाशिवलिङ्गम् ॥७॥

Asstta-Dalo-Parivessttita-Linggam Sarva-Samudbhava-Kaaranna-Linggam |
    Asstta-Daridra-Vinaashita-Linggam Tat Prannamaami Sadaashiva-Linggam ||7||

Meaning:
    7.1: (I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam) Which is Surrounded by Eight-Petalled Flowers, which is the Cause behind All Creation,
    7.2: And which Destroys the Eight Poverties. I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam.

सुरगुरुसुरवरपूजितलिङ्गम् सुरवनपुष्पसदार्चितलिङ्गम् ।
    परात्परं परमात्मकलिङ्गम् तत् प्रणमामि सदाशिवलिङ्गम् ॥८॥

Suraguru-Suravara-Puujita-Linggam Suravana-Pusspa-Sada-Aarcita-Linggam |
    Paraatparam Paramaatmaka-Linggam Tat Prannamaami Sadaashiva-Linggam ||8||

Meaning:
    8.1: (I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam) Which is Worshipped by the Preceptor of Gods (Lord Brihaspati) and the Best of the Gods, which is Always Worshipped by the Flowers from the Celestial Garden,
    8.2: Which is Superior than the Best and which is the Greatest. I Salute that Eternal Shiva Lingam.

लिङ्गाष्टकमिदं पुण्यं यः पठेत् शिवसन्निधौ ।
    शिवलोकमवाप्नोति शिवेन सह मोदते ॥

Linggaassttakam-Idam Punnyam Yah Patthet Shiva-Sannidhau |
    Shivalokam-Avaapnoti Shivena Saha Modate ||

Meaning:
    9.1: Whoever Recites this Lingasthakam (hymn consisting of eight stanzas in praise of the Linga) near Shiva (Lingam),
    9.2: Will Attain the Abode of Shiva and enjoy His Bliss.

*tears of devotion flowing now.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste EM and Necromancer,

Thanks for your responses and for sharing your knowledge! I just tried rolling it along the floor there and it does indeed vibrate slightly as it moves! My sister tells me the shopkeep promised it was authentic. I guess the fellow wasn't lying.

The band of colours in it is incredibly beautiful. It almost looks like someone has put a tilak on it, smearing bright kumkum on the top, and then anointed it again with sandalwood paste.Love how it feels to hold as well.

Necromancer, you don't know how much your post made me smile! I have been going through a difficult time recently. I was coming very close to breaking point about a month back, and trying to bring myself back in the sphere of a spiritual life by re-reading scriptures and doing small religious practices. I really feel also this is a little sign from Shiva to stay strong and keep Him in mind. What makes me so happy is that I had no idea my family knew so much about these beautifully God-made murtis. They are in admiration of it too, but it would be hard not to be!

I think I will somehow include this in my altar for worship, even though it was quite heavy and will probably roll off if I don't secure it with a base. Thanks for the suggestion of a dish of sand, EM - a better idea than the plastic stand I was given. I was not sure temples would accept murtis and lingams from devotees. Does it matter whether or not the temple is of Saivite leaning? I am actually starting to get in touch now for the first time (spurred on with the spiritual boost that always comes for me with Ganesha Chaturthi) with the Vinayaka temple and have suggested ways in which I could help. As I now know where this lingam was purchased, I feel certain it won't be long before I send one to the temple as a gift as well if the priests and trustees accept.

Thank you both for your responses!

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Thread Information