Thread: Boredom

Boredom

Namaste HDF,

I'm bored so I created this thread on the philosophy of boredom as it pertains to Hinduism. But I think I have some relevant questions about boredom and how it relates to Hindu philosophy.

In the course of my learning about Hinduism, I learned that one should keep one's mind busy; this can stave off negative thoughts and emotions, as one is too occupied to think about them. I find this certainly fits me; if I'm bored I tend to ruminate and get depressed as a result.

Still, boredom has some significance to Hinduism, from what I've learned. While animals can get bored, they only get bored when they can't do the routine that they are used to in the wild; they never get bored of that, because it would mean death for them! Yet in zoos they get bored, hence why good zookeepers have enrichment activities for them.

As for how that pertains to boredom and Hinduism, well, boredom is sort of essential for progression in our lives. Without boredom, we would have no need to be creative. But boredom can still be detrimental to our mental well-being.

So what is the best attitude to take towards boredom? Is it something to embrace, or fear? Or maybe neither?

Re: Boredom

Namaste WebImpulse,

My own thought would be that it is not to be embraced or feared-
    but what does boredom say about one's internal state?

Obviously, one's basic physical needs are being met; there are no
    external stressors occupying the attention.

Yet, what is the difference between simply being at rest, or content
    with one's own company, and being restless, discontent without
    some form of external stimulus or activity?

Is having to solve the problem of having no immediate problems to solve
    a reflection of what objectively meets the mind's eye, or the subjective
    choice of where one's attention is directed?

Perhaps considering these questions will remove some boredom, in one
    way or another

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Namaste.

Boredom is just a cognitive state. It is a pattern of thinking and behaviour which can be modified (although I really cannot talk, because I post on here when I am bored).

It's a state of 'I know what I should be doing, but for some reason or another, I cannot be bothered doing it'.

When we are young, our brains constantly seek entertainment and enjoyment. When we are busy, our brains are occupied, so there isn't much time to think about ourselves or what makes us tick. When deprived of external stimuli, we go into apathy mode and our minds are forced to feed upon itself - boredom.

I am reminded of the quote, I don't know who said it, but:

I am never bored because I can always find nothing to do.
    When I was a young girl, I worked with a Chinese lady who spoke very little English. One day, there was little work for us to do, so I let out an exasperated comment; 'I am bored' - she looked at me quizzically - 'bored?'..

After trying to make her understand this concept in English, I succeeded when another worker translated the word for her in Cantonese - in Cantonese, they have a whole sentence for the word 'bored' literally meaning: "my heart is imprisoned in a cage".

Yes, I get bored...I play Solitaire on my PC when bored, or watch TV, or go for a walk, or do some gardening...or meditate on Shiva when my heart becomes imprisoned in that cage...still, I cannot do this every time I get bored though, but I am trying to break the 'boredom habit'.

Our parents and grandparents had no TV, no computer and sometimes even no wireless ('wireless' in those days did not refer to a modem - it meant radio) - so they had to create their own amusement...their own 'fun' and as a result, their minds were very inventive and very active - they were hardly ever bored!

Now, with entertainment being provided with the push of a button or click of a mouse, we have lost this ability to create our own entertainment.

Next week, I shall be going around to visit the local charities to see if I can offer my services as a volunteer somewhere to try and drag myself out of this rut I have consciously fashioned for myself. I may also join a gym and do pilates or Iyengar Yoga (I am even bored with Hatha Yoga).

I am going to make a weekly timetable - like I had in school, with various activities slotted into the day. When I am not performing those activities, I will be sleeping - so there's no time for the mind to dwell upon itself unless I want it to.

I'm also going to visit the Mandir more and try and make new friends (up until now, I have been just lurking in the background).

If you have a small plot of land, or even can manage a 6ftX6ft area, you can turn it into a non-dig organic vegetable patch and grow chard, tomatoes, beans, Chinese cabbage and herbs to supplement whatever is bought (grains, pulses, flour, ghee, soy milk etc).

I'm also going to try and turn my hand towards a hobby or craft - photography (is my favourite thing), crochet, cooking etc and now summertime is coming up (in Australia), it's time I went to the ocean/swimming pool and took in a few laps. I also really enjoy horseriding and equestrian stuff (I am really good at this).

There are a lot of things I enjoy doing that I am not doing because I am too busy being 'bored' and writing essays like this one on HDF.

Find out what it is you like to do and do it when feeling bored. The boredom will go away by itself then (well, hopefully that will be the case).

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 22 September 2013 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste HDF,

I'm bored so I created this thread on the philosophy of boredom as it pertains to Hinduism. But I think I have some relevant questions about boredom and how it relates to Hindu philosophy.

In the course of my learning about Hinduism, I learned that one should keep one's mind busy; this can stave off negative thoughts and emotions, as one is too occupied to think about them. I find this certainly fits me; if I'm bored I tend to ruminate and get depressed as a result.

Still, boredom has some significance to Hinduism, from what I've learned. While animals can get bored, they only get bored when they can't do the routine that they are used to in the wild; they never get bored of that, because it would mean death for them! Yet in zoos they get bored, hence why good zookeepers have enrichment activities for them.

As for how that pertains to boredom and Hinduism, well, boredom is sort of essential for progression in our lives. Without boredom, we would have no need to be creative. But boredom can still be detrimental to our mental well-being.

So what is the best attitude to take towards boredom? Is it something to embrace, or fear? Or maybe neither?
    Dear Webimpulse,

The scriptures clarify how everyone considers something as of the highest value in life, how one realizing it, how they unknowingly finds identity with that value, and how they really have a non-dual experience in becoming totally absorbed in that value.

With no such goal in view, life becomes totally insipid. This psychological condition, in Indian psychology, is known as, arati (insipidness in life), and such a state of mind may even cause death.

Life, as far as man is concerned, is journey toward a goal and this goal in essence is ensuring self-happiness. Even the feeling of boredom is again another means to that self-happiness, the result obatined is not permanent though .

Showing man the proper and the virtuous way to attain this goal is what religion mainly does.

Love
    Last edited by brahman; 22 September 2013 at 06:36 AM.
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namast

If this boredom is practiced perfectly one can use it to their advantage.
    That is, if this boredom is looked at as avinoda then it can be used as a tool.

Avinoda is non diversion ; it is without (a) + vinoda or diversion.
    Perfect non-diversion is undifferentiated (without parts) awareness - wholeness of Being.

It is the state of perfectly doing nothing - the residence of silence, of the Self.

Where does one begin ? Such is the subject matter throughout HDF.

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hariḥ o
    ~~~~~~
    namast

One also may ask , who is bored ?

yajvan, what a silly question... it is 'me' that is bored.

I ask who is this 'me' ? Who is looking for this entertainment ?

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

We feel, the text Yoga Vasistha highly relevant in the present circumstance; excerpts from the English rendering by the late K. Narayanaswamy Aiyer:

..........., I shall proceed to the contents of this work. The occasion which called it forth demands that the work was intended for those only who wish to practically travel on the higher path. Most of our readers will have been fully acquainted with the contents of our great Epic poem, the Ramayana. We find therein that Rishi Viswamitra turns upon the stage in the early years of Sri Rama...........

Just before this time, Rama goes on a pilgrimage to the many sacred places; and having visited the Asramas (hermitages) of the wise, returns to his native place. On his return, he grows quite disgusted with his material life, spurns his wealth and other regal possessions and grows despondent without performing any of his daily duties. His attendants go and complain to the King his father of the grievous plight of their master. ......

At this juncture, Muni Viswamitra turns up and the King delighted with the usual arrival of such a distinguished and reverend guest consents to execute any orders of the noble Muni. The Muni demands Rama for his aid at which Dasaratha is panic-struck. Yet rallying himself, he volunteers his own services in lieu of his eldest and dearly beloved boy begotten through dire Tapas. ..

Then Rama is sent for and his servants meanwhile relate to the Rishis the pitiable present plight of their master disdaining to perform such actions as tasting food, drinking water, etc. At which Vasistha remarks that the Vairagya (indifference) of the Prince is not akin to that produced by such momentary accidents as the loss of some dearly beloved relative or wealth but is one which is the premonitory symptom of a spiritual development in him after which development all his duties will be regularly per formed by him.

On Rama s arrival at the regal assembly, he is asked by one of the Rishis as to the cause of his present sorrow. At which Rama makes a long tirade against wealth, life, Ahankara, Mind, desires, body and other material things and at last winds up by saying that he will rather expose himself to the torments of hell-fire than undergo the excruciating mental tortures, consuming him little by little through the abovementioned causes. This concludes the chapter called Vairagya Prakarana or the section on in difference to worldly things.

Get full text here

==============

The text Yoga Vasistha is also known by other names like Laghu Yoga Vasistha , Arsa Ramayana, Jnana Vasistha, Maha Ramayana, Vasistha Ramayana and Vasistha and is ascribed to sage Valmiki himself.

* This is only an add on to our previous contributions to the present topic -boredom.
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

Thread Information