Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duality,Non-Duality etc are mere Blanket Terms

Re: Duality,Non-Duality etc are mere Blanket Terms

It is okay to be fascinated by Shiva and Shakti, the Maya thereof. It is normal and is designed that way.

However the inner sense of the dance and other acts need to be converted in terms of knowledge. what does the dance signify ?

Otherwise we remain mired in the physical forms and acts. Never get out of this cycle of gross matter.

Wherever and whichever sect one belongs though they start with rituals to tune the mind, the ultimate objective is to tune the mind for the knowledge.

So reading and listening to gain knowledge in this domain is critical to move continuously. OK no continuously but step by step. Gain knowledge, soak in it, move to the next.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    Namaste.

So, I just asked myself: "if I continued 'neti neti' and saw the world as Maya, would I arrive the same place by seeing Lord Shiva in everything"?
    Namaste,

It might not be possible to see Lord Shiva while practising everything.

All I can say about that, is either practice, carried out to the nth degree will lead to exactly the same place.

The 'final act' as it were, is performed by Goddess Shakti. Her dance can either hypnotise or awaken...
    Bhakti melts out heart, which naturally purifies our heart and mind.

In Hyponsis you may not be in control of yourself or someone may control you, like magicians do.

the thing is that ego of bhakta is a ripe one and hence it does not harm you.

Please keep this in mind -

You are surrendering to God. God is not a vishaya nor he is jaDa, an inert object / lifeless object. You surrender to God who controls the whole universe. will he do any harm to you? will you get made if you chant God's name? World may think you as mad, but you are not mad. Always remember - God exists. God is not a concept. God is reality. Have faith.

Always have this faith that God will never ever harm you and the problems that you are passing through are because of your past lives mis-deeds and on spiritual grounds they help shape your mind. They train your mind.

Go ahead, do not stop, melt in God, live only for him. Worship Shiv and shakti. Pray to Adi shakti to shower her grace so that you can cross her maya and attain Shiva dham.

I think you may like Sri Ramakrishna's Jivan Charitra.

Neit - neti is straight path. But not all can (successfully) practice it. Hence OM is given. There is one Upanishad wholly dedicated to explain OM (MAnDukya Up). In neti-neti OM is not chanted. Refer ATma shataka, an e.g. of Neti-Neti.

What matters is spiritual progress.

Sri Ramakrishna says,

Jnana is like infant (baby) monkey. He grabs his mother inverted by his strength. IF mother jumps from one branch to another, it has to be cautious. If baby monkey looses grip, it can fall and can injure himself. Mother does not inform him when she will jump. Baby has to be conscious and alert.

Bhakti is like kitten. baby cat will cry meou meou. She knows nothing else and does not know anything else. It is her mother that hears her baby's cry, comes and safely picks her in her jaws and take you to safe place. She feeds you, she does everything for you.

Unlike Mother monkey, Mother cat protects her baby by grabbing her.

In bhakti, God takes care of devotees.

In case of Jnana, if one can hold on to 'Brahman' than in very short time one can reach the top spot. Baby monkey can reach the topmost branch of tree in a very short time if he successfully holds up his mother and does not loosen his grip. But his is difficult. Same is said in BG 12.5-6.

Do not think too much, continue your spiritual progress. Leave all worries including contradictions on scriptures to Shiva and Shakti. They will give you what is right if you live only and only for them. Dedication and onepointed devotion is necessary. By praying to Adi Shakti and praying to her grace so that you can attain Shiva dhama does not disturb your one pointedness. It makes things easy

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    Namaste.

So, I just asked myself: "if I continued 'neti neti' and saw the world as Maya, would I arrive the same place by seeing Lord Shiva in everything"?

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Dear Necromancer,

Neti-neti is an intellectual exercise understood in Vedanta that helps an aspirant in reducing the particulars (that varies from the level of Anna to Ananda) involved in the notion of the non-self, to a single unit; this unit in turn performs the role of one of the two ends involved in higher contemplation, where the hypostatic Brahman corresponds its equal counterpart, in transcending the paradox that most philosophies fails to tackle, of which Vedanta was always efficient.

Since the difference between the self and the non-self are too minute, at least doctrinally, it would seem difficult for an aspirant to distinguish the qualities attributed to them and to comprehend what exactly the difference between these two are.

Once the process of distinguishing ,the hypostatic and the one that is ascertained by analysing and negating (neti-neti) the non-self, is accomplished, one can recollect the words of their Acaarya: "This is That Devadutta", where ‘That’ corresponds to the hypostatic Brahman and ‘This’ is identified as ‘I’, the one ascertained through our own relentless search.

The whole success and secret of Vedanta is nothing but in distinguishing these two equal counterparts and to successfully equating them (or cancelling them out) together in order to attain the full notion of the Absolute, which is beyond the boundaries of mere names of forms. Love
    Last edited by brahman; 29 September 2013 at 06:39 AM.
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

Quote Originally Posted by brahman View Post
    The whole success and secret of Vedanta is nothing but in distinguishing these two equal counterparts and to successfully equating them (or cancelling them out) together in order to attain the full notion of the Absolute, which is beyond the boundaries of mere names of forms. Love
    So basically the all-pervading Purusha and His all-pervading PrakRti just go on existing and this awareness brings the Ananda. Bramhan can be ONE. Bramhan can be TWO. When Bramhan is ONE, is really TWO, and when TWO is essentially ONE.

You don't say
    Me and my outgoing nature are going for a walk.
    Me and my compassionate nature are going for a walk.
    Me and my tendency to walk are going for a walk.

For humans entrapped into being humans, the key really is
    idam na mama (in your signarute)- this/anything that i as a temporarily manifested entity appear to associate and transact with, is not mine in the first place. It was is and will belong to the Supreme, Universal, Whole, always.

Immediately the Asakti (attachment, hankering) of "hey, that's mine" is gone, and that is what sets you free.

That that you just tampered with, was mine.
    The authorship is mine
    The effort is mine
    That glory is mine
    On the other hand, anything ugly you see in my personality is mine and therefore i hate to see or acknowledge it.
    Anything you accuse, ridicule, criticize, condemn me for is mine (belonging to my personality)
    What was lost was mine

Me me mine mine my my

Once free, it is wonderful to see the beauty of this NArAyaNa Shri KRshNa Govinda Mukunda MAdhava Shiva - from that height. Same cannot be appreciated when in the valley.

_/\_
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    So basically the all-pervading Purusha and His all-pervading PrakRti just go on existing and this awareness brings the Ananda. Bramhan can be ONE. Bramhan can be TWO. When Bramhan is ONE, is really TWO, and when TWO is essentially ONE.

You don't say
    Me and my outgoing nature are going for a walk.
    Me and my compassionate nature are going for a walk.
    Me and my tendency to walk are going for a walk.

_/\_
    Dear Smaranam,

Though, this is the purport in general Vedanta would love to emphasis, there are some sceptics who are not satisfied with this answer, for they might ask a question: isn’t it a mechanistic life as if a spoke mounted on to a machine? Or is there any value content added on to this kind of life?

Vedanta is an integrated philosophy and brushing any individuals aside is not warranted.

Scepticism is not a disaster, neither is it a disorder; it is admitted in the scriptures as one of the varieties of individual human nature among the many. In our earlier post we had mentioned about the elimination of threefold fear for the attainment of pure wisdom; they were ādhyātmika, ādhidaivika and ādhibhautika. These anticipations are to be correlated with the guans (the tri-basic modes of material nature) mentioned in classical philosophies like Sankhya, Yoga and Shaiva Agamas. Bhagavad Gita is the only text that restates and revaluates this scattered knowledge in terms of everyday understanding, especially the discourses on karmayoga and the types of human nature when it says the Gunatraya Vibhaga yoga.

Fear in the field of ādhibhautika or physical is more related to the ones arising from social circumstances, which include one’s physical needs like, food, clothes, shelter and other physiological needs. These men turn themselves to various sprits for the fulfilment of desires in the field of their particular interest.

Fear in the field of ādhidaivika or psychological is more related to the problems arising in our mind, such as emotional or moral sensitivity, this also includes attachments to gods and rituals. These are the men who take refuge in the scriptures.

Fear in the field of ādhyātmika or cosmological is more related to our intellectual inquiries on doubts regarding the entire cosmos, the principles behind it, and, it also includes some specific philosophical questions like ‘whence this world?’ and ‘whom ‘I’?’. These are basic nature of contemplatives, who have Almost satisfied with their needs in the field of physiology and psychology.

One of the above mentioned fears will always dominate in every single individual; only a yogi is an exception to this perceptual structure of pain. This intrinsic character of every personality is to be understood, in the usual course, in terms of predominance of one of the category of fears over the other two, at times, one of the other two might turn prepotent, and this variation is according to the modes of material nature. This uncertain change in consciousness is the one major factor that motivates the aspirants in shifting from one method to another, such as from vedanta to Worship(of god and spirits) and vice versa , or mixing up everything together without sceintifically distinguishig their characterestics and necessity in real life situations.

Though, this is the purport in general Vedanta would love to emphasis, there are some sceptics who are not satisfied with this answer and might ask a question: isn’t it a mechanistic life as if a spoke mounted on to a machine? Or is there any value content added on to this kind of life?
    Our answer is simply yes, with capital Y.

Because, there is no measure to determine the happiness of something or someone, so we do not know whether the spoke is happy or not!

And also, the sceptics never notice that the capacity to reason is not their own, on the other hand, it is just another spoke that is fitted on to the total mechanism of a Giant Cosmic Machine, the Paramount Person.

continued...
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

For humans entrapped into being humans, the key really is
    idam na mama (in your signarute)- this/anything that i as a temporarily manifested entity appear to associate and transact with, is not mine in the first place. It was is and will belong to the Supreme, Universal, Whole, always.

_/\_

Thats right, this belongs to the domain of ādhiyājńika- the sacrificial one, what sacrificed here is our own I sense into the dancing Fire of Consciousness.

Immediately the Asakti (attachment, hankering) of "hey, that's mine" is gone, and that is what sets you free.

That that you just tampered with, was mine.
    The authorship is mine
    The effort is mine
    That glory is mine
    On the other hand, anything ugly you see in my personality is mine and therefore i hate to see or acknowledge it.
    Anything you accuse, ridicule, criticize, condemn me for is mine (belonging to my personality)
    What was lost was mine

_/\_

Exactly, the doer in ourselves is cut off and the doer-ship has now been awarded to an overall Doer, who is none other than the one absolute Reality, the Ananda in its essential content, the Truth that we are persistently searching for.

This Ananda is the lone value sense (of both positive and negative) that reflects in our conscious awareness as Pleasure and Pain. That means, the man is not always Sad, except for a few who commit suicide of terrible pains. To be precise, Vedanta is only filling those darker Gaps that are classified as suffering, with a brighter Ananda content; if permits, and, if at all does it.

continued...

ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

Once free, it is wonderful to see the beauty of this NArAyaNa Shri KRshNa Govinda Mukunda MAdhava Shiva - from that height. Same cannot be appreciated when in the valley.

_/\_

Love
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

Thread Information