Prabam Omkara

Quote Originally Posted by Omkara

If you leave aside the controvery about "Vinayaka" for a moment you will notice the unequivocal condemnation of the worship of the matrikas in the same paragraph.
Also, Sri Vaishnava says Shankaracharya has referred to Surya and Rudra as jivas in his upanishad bhashyas.

So there goes the myth that Shankaracharya was a Smarta.
How does this prove Shankaracharya's position? on say so off Sri Vaishnava!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Omkara
After thinking over it a bit, my opinion is- There are pretas in the puranas called vinayakas, matrikas,bhaginis etc and it is possible that Shankarachary is referring to them. On the other hand, there is no evidence that worship of pretas was common in 8th century India, so it would be slightly unlikely that Shankaracharya is using a near-extinct tradition as an example.
Both interpretations of Shankaracharya's words are feasible.
Now that many opinion have been put forward, with pramanas, if i were to draw a conclusion, the general opinion seems to be that Sri Shankracharya in his bhasya on 9.25, as you seem to agree also, that he was not talking off Ganesha, based on that do you still believe Ganesh Bhujangam - Adi Shankaracharya is of later works? after all, all this argument about Sankacharya stemmed from this conversation of ours.
scholars views notwithstanding if i were to trust anyone on this matter it would be its own sampradaya who would convince me of its authenticity, this debate it self proves that there is so much vested interest.

Jai Shree Krishna