Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Closed the thread in Vishishtadvaita forums?

Re: Closed the thread in Vishishtadvaita forums?

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaste,
    Again, large dumps of texts are considered spam on hdf. That's the rule.
    But his postings are not a large dump of text, as they cannot be found elsewhere (except the first anuvAka commentary), and they have purely original content.

I'm just asking because, if this is considered spam, despite it not meeting the criteria for such as spelled out in HDF rules, then almost anything could be considered spam provided that it exceeds some arbitrary length. Better to know that now before investing too much time in producing articles of similar content.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaste,

My thinking on this matter is that it is the F in HDF which is defended by this rule. Unless one is a university professor employed to educate others, or a guest speaker invited to give a lecture, one would not enter a room full of people and speak on a single topic for an hour continuously. We are a forum, i.e. a place for discussion and debate. Large blocks of text, especially when posted over a short period of time, serve more of a storage and reference purpose; they are excellent resources for members, but are cumbersome and do not encourage people to debate the material at hand. This monologue format seems the equivalent of a person claiming forum space to host a personal lecture series; such material would be more appropriately hosted on a blog or website.

Here are two suggestions, not to circumvent this rule per se, but to keep HDF a place for Hindus to actively engage in spiritual discussion with each other:

--Host the relevant verses and interpretations off-site, provide a link in a thread, and ask for opinions and discussion about the material. Cite only brief quotes in responses, to help keep the discussion on-track.
    --Post the material little by little, perhaps one brief chapter each day. This practice would give members an appropriate amount of time to consider the profound meaning of each section and to formulate quality responses. It would also keep the thread active over a long period of time and encourage ongoing conversation, instead of making so many points at once that any reader must write a corresponding essay to reply.

I avoid long "dumps of text" because, when I see large masses of material, following one post after another, my impression is that the author does not wish to engage with HDF on the topic at hand, but to draw attention to his/her scholarship and/or opinions. I hope that members do adhere to this forum rule, understanding Satay's reasons for it, as I believe it to be an excellent one.
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from Bāṣkalamantra Upaniṣad

Of course, there is a logic to posting the entire anuvAkam. Specifically, it makes no sense to post one mantra and invite discussion, when you cannot really interpret one mantra without the global context. Hence, posting the entire suktam makes sense, and I can see no more intelligent way for this to have been done. Posting one mantra and inviting discussion (which, on HDF, means 20+ replies which will mostly be personal opinions and attacks from individuals who never studied the source material), and then posting another mantra and repeating, is a far more useless exercise than posting the entire suktam.

Moreover, the author in question has engaged with HDF on several topics in the past. If he has any fault, it is that he has shown limited interest in engaging with people who get huffy and don't want to discuss facts and evidence. I guess you could argue that this means he doesn't want to engage with HDF. Or you could more appropriately argue that the doesn't want to argue with people for whom argument appears to be a way of life.

Thus, I'm not seeing the reasoning here, and I remain concerned that, in spite of the rules saying otherwise, almost anything positive and valuable could arbitrarily be deemed as spam. I checked the time stamp for the postings - they are indeed one after another, but that is consistent with it being a large article and divided into parts for brevity. That hardly makes it spam. If it were posted as one large article, would that have made it more acceptable for posting? Why or why not?

I'm still amazed that an original commentary on Rig Veda could be considered spam on a forum which purports to be, "for the positive presentation of Sanatana Dharma and we expect your participation to be positive and uplifting." SV's contribution was one of the most positive things I've seen on a Hinduism forum, ever. Would that we could have more such commentaries from different traditions.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaste Phil
    Again, large dumps of texts are considered spam. As Arjuni explained that's a monologue and better suites at your personal blog or site.

I understand that you may not like this rule but that's the rule.

Please do not post large dumps of texts on hdf.

That said exceptions have been made in the past whenever a member has approached me and explained their case. For example another member anadi has done this in the past.
    Last edited by satay; 02 October 2013 at 03:41 AM.
    satay

It is good to know about this rule - I will also be stopping my post on the thread 'Tamil speaking Rama Bhaktas - a treat!' which covers the Vijay TV series of 'Ramanin Padhayil' (the path traversed by Rama during Ramayana which still enshrines appropriate temples at precise locations).

Or, perhaps, I can take short notes on the remaining episodes and present them all at once when the show is over. The main reason I thought of translating the series is because I have read posts in the past exclaiming about the path Rama had traversed in Ramayan. But, I have to admit, there is the tour guide put up by Swami Krishnan on his 'Rama Anu Yatra' already available and that provides day-by-day info on the places he visited too, which I had linked in that thread. I guess I thought it would be interesting to present all information he would present in that series and started that thread. Now that I know it is not of best interest or adherence to HDF rules, I should stop it.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

namaste,

From what I can see, part of the problem is the wording of the rule itself. This feedback is prompting me to reexamine that wording. Currently it only talks about large dumps of text copy and pasted from other sites but the actual intent of the rule is to not allow 'any type of' large dumps of texts regardless of if the text was copy and pasted from elsewhere or not.

I am certainly open to changing the wording of this rule if it makes it clearer for new members.

Second problem I see that some of you might be used to other forums where the forum is actually just a 'part' of a bigger site that allows publishing of articles and blogs etc. HDF is not like that.

HDF is strictly a 'Forum' meant for discussion. There is no facility here to post articles or commentaries. This is why articles and such should be posted on your own blog or site. You are then free to post a link here on HDF under 'Dharma Related Websites' to that so that other members can read your article or monologue.

Third, Phil, with respect to your point about members posting personal opinions vs discussion based on authentic sources, since HDF is a forum for discussion, we have to allow room for people's opinions and personal experiences. While I admire your approach of always tracking everything back to a scriptural source, it is not a strict requirement of HDF that all members of the forum do that.

While I agree that posts and threads based strictly on scripture are of better value, I cannot demand all members to only speak/post when they can show proof from a scripture and otherwise stay silent. That's not HDF's requirement and it will never be as long as I am one of the mods.

I hope this clarifies the matter. I will endeavour to change the wording on the rule so that it is more in general terms.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Last edited by satay; 02 October 2013 at 12:44 PM.
    satay

Namste,

Quote Originally Posted by Sri Vaishnava View Post
    Not that I mind, since I was nearly finished anyway (last 3 anuvAkas are not that important as they pertain to kAmya karmas),...
    No salutations to Admin !!!, who give us HDF for free and never ask for donations or any kind of financial help. Joining HDf is a privilege and not a right.

So you think that Mod or admin cannot delete the posts you already posted. This attitude is so humble.

Whatever, your call.
    ???

first of all, we accept all the rules before signing up. One of the rule says that Decision of Mods is final and should not be questioned.

Though it is natural to question, when one thinks that one is not trolling yet thread is closed, this issue, as pointed out of Satay ji, has to be sorted out in PMs or do you think Satay ji do not reply to PM or do you want to make it big?

Even if it is asked in public, there is a way to write. You have not even responded to Satay ji's replies even once.

Knowledge - (minus) humbleness = SAstra (not Sastra)

I had to write this as no one has pointed out and naturally Satay ji is not going to say, 'behave properly with me'.

I am not talking about the content, just the behaviour. If a member cannot behave properly with admin, then I cannot expect him to behave well with members. The problem with highly knowledgeable people is that they think whatever they do is right and when someone doe something they do not expect, their ego is hurt. When things do not go your way, then ... when someone does not share their line of thinking, then ...

These type of people are only comfortable with others, until people share similar line of thinking.

Whatever, your call.
    No ending salutation too !!!. Does not a senior member and a mod Yajvan ji keep saying that one should use salutations? Phil ji explained that the content was original, which is logical explanation.

I did not want to write this as this someone may take it it in a wrong way. Yet, I had to write this since no member has stepped up to point out. Again, I am not talking about content, but the behaviour. HDF has taught me a lot and I am indebted to it and Satay ji.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste IS,

Just a few clarifications. I am not authority#1 on this forum. I am only the upholder of the rules. The rules were created by the members of this forum and my job is to only ensure that rules are followed. Since I am not a robot and still not very good at this job I must rely on other members to report the offending post(s), their advice and counsel. So there is no question of authority or ownership.

HDF has always belonged to its members and it always will be until at least I am one of the mods.

My only job is to uphold the rules and throw garbage out when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Indiaspirituality Amrut View Post
    Namste,
    No salutations to Admin !!!,
    Aum
    satay

Namaste Satay ji,

You are very humble

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information