Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Appreciation for Lord Ganesha

My Appreciation for Lord Ganesha

Namaste.

After lurking on that thread in the Vaishnava forums about Lord Ganesha in Vaishnavism- I had to do a 'rethink' myself.

For many years, Lord Ganesha was a total abstract concept to me, an enigma of both form and function.

Yes, I knew the story about how He got His elephant's head, but I was always at a loss to explain why.

My prayers to Lord Ganesha were always more of a 'formality' than anything else. Yes, I was aware He could 'remove obstacles' but so could His Father!

Why should I have to go through the Son to see the Father.....Again?

Nope, I had no 'obstacles' besides Lord Ganesha Himself...this mutant creature with the head of an elephant - well, if anything He'd have a good memory now.

Then, when Daksha Maharaj got the head of a goat, I was like 'what the heck? this religion has just lost all credibility...'

I was going to reply on the thread in the Vaishnava forum that whether you believe in/worship Lord Ganesha or not, it is common courtesy among Hindus of all Faiths to worship Lord Ganesha first, no matter how your faith sees Him.

However, me posting in the Vaishnava forum would be like me using the men's latrine in a crowded restaurant - it's nice to look.

Back to Lord Ganesha, I mean what is He really? Primarily, Ganesha is just what He is - the creation of the union between Shiva and Shakti.

What else is created by the union between Shiva and Shakti? Well, Bel Murugan (who I am also gaining deep respect for) and just everything in this whole universe!

Viewed in this way, Lord Ganesha represents all matter in existence. He is just as much the lovechild of ShivaMaya to remind us that we all are.

As the 'master of illusion' having properties of both Shiva and Shakti, Lord Ganesha can bend matter to His will. He can survive having the head of an elephant placed upon His tiny shoulders - He would survive the weight of the universe placed there.

Lord Ganesha is also the master of fear. I also had mental images of an obese, elephant-headed boy riding around on a mouse/rat...that rat would need to grow pretty big (I read that whole story later).

Still, why a mouse? I thought that elephants were 'sposed to be afraid of mice anyway....aha! now I know why!

Fear is only a tiny thing you can harness and ride around on.

So now, through the grace of his Mother, I was shown... The trinity - Shiva, Shakti, Ganesha - Creation, Energy, Existence.

Aum Gum Ganapataye Namah.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Re: My Appreciation for Lord Ganesha

Vannakkam: I find this interesting, Necro, how there is little cohesion between all the Puranic stories and legends, and Ganesha's actual function from a mystic perspective. One leads to thinking, and the other leads to answers.

At the temple I attend, devotees (from the North, used to more of a dual role in the priest, that of pundit/adviser as well) would consult the priest about something personal.

His advice was pretty consistent ... "Go pray Ganesha" yet I found it incredibly deep as well. Simple but succinct, and including a lot more than those three words.

Go .... means don't ask me, you are asking in the wrong place
    pray ... really pray, pray with all your heart, mentally speak it out inside, with full knowledge that He will hear.
    Ganesha ... the real Ganesha, the mystic, inner, powerful, leader of the Ganas, the giant helper of all things mundane.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

For millions, yet billions, Ganapati was the First to call, and then they enter a door or a tirtha. For millions, He removes the greatest obstacle of all, the fear to take that first step.

Om Namah Sivaya

I too have been adding Ganesha to my puja lately. I have a small picture of Him and I'm thinking of buying a murti of Him.
    Jeff (a.k.a. Govinda Das)

Hindu Quaker.
    Though I am eternal, immutable, and the Lord of all beings, yet I manifest Myself by controlling material Nature, using My own divine potential energy, the Divine Light
    (Bhagavad Gita 4:6

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    (a) telling other people belonging to different religious beliefs what they should do on religious forums dedicated specifically to their belief-systems (especially when you have no scripture to back it up) - examples including but not limited to "It's common courtesy for you Vaishnavas to start your worship by first praying to Ganesha."

http://www.spiritual-minds.com/easte...icles/gods.pdf

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

Everyone is unique in how they see and perceive God; just as the feelings of devotion that arise within, its quantity and depth, whether a lot, a little or none at all... these too are unique. Why the feathers ruffled because someone does not feel as close to Ganesha as they do Shiva? It does not mean to say Ganapati's role as the foremost of Devas is lessened any because someone admits they have never felt particularly drawn to Him. Although it does perhaps ask to us to delve a little deeper regarding Sri Ganesha's worship. Why is it so prolific? Is it merely coincidence, or is there a deeper reason? Despite the variety we see within tradition of Sanatana Dharma, paying homage to Ganesha first seems to be something most if not all Hindu sects share.

I find it in a way, oddly comforting to know that most Hindus respect Ganesha enough to pray or direct their thoughts to Him first, and acknowledge He is the force that controls the auspiciousness of beginnings and new ventures. The Gatekeeper if you will into the tradition of Sanatana Dharma that otherwise would be left closed to a lot of souls out there. I remember in Sivaya Subramuniyaswami's "Loving Ganesha" volume, an apt little description likening Ganesha to the Hindu pope - the common ground and Deva for so many devotees. Not only that, but it's clear millions of Hindus are very fond of Him, even appeasing His sweet tooth with jaggery and other desserts.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Regarding your comment on puja, Nec, I have to say that in actual Vaishnavam (or in particular, Sri Vaishnavam), no puja is prescribed for the devotee either of material welfare or even spiritual welfare... one is supposed to surrender unto the Lord Sri Vishnu completely like a newborn monkey clinging to its mother, and to do no puja but just to take to his name and do nama-japa! In the context, it is out of question to ask whether one needs to do Ganapathi worship or not.

I could infact worship Ganapathi, I like this god very much, except for it seeming like having 2 Lords - or infact many lords! I as such worship Shri Hanuman, Lord Rama, Sri Lakshmi Narasimha, and so many other deities of Vaishnava pantheon that I wonder where Sri Ganapathi alone from Shaiva tradition belongs...

When young, I used to frequent every day the temple of Sri Ganapathi located near my home, during my Ketu mahadasha I did proper puja of him on Ganesh chaturthi days.. I had the prayer to him that he remove obstacles to my career but the obstacle remover has completely removed my career (lol) but I am sure he did that as doing the most beneficial thing to me because I am doing sadhana everyday which I would not if I were employed. I have realized human life is futile without daily sadhana and breathing god every step of the way... I think Sri Ganapathi has given me this sense!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Regarding your comment on puja, Nec, I have to say that in actual Vaishnavam (or in particular, Sri Vaishnavam)
    How is that relevant in a shaiva forum?
    satay

I remember Lord Ganesha was the first Hindu deity I turned too and performed puja for. I then shifted towards Shiva, I then deviated due to uncertainty and confusion and began to look at and research other Hindu deities but in the end returned to Shiva.

There was an utmost innocence and compassion towards my worship of Lord Ganesha, something that I would like to return to. It was playful yet (hopefully) never disrespectful, it was just Ganesha and me, it was simple yet so very rich.

Hmm, I think sometimes making things simple makes them purer and in the end God is purity and simplicity, it is our illusionary separation from God that has made us attempt to fill in the blanks with so much complexity. Does anyone else feel as though there is some truth in those words?

Namaste.

Om Namah Shivaya.
    ~ Om Namah Shivaya ~

Well my position is somewhere similar to yours. But i dont have the capability to express my gratitude to that supreme Ganesha who removed my ignorance and lead me to the right path. From childhood i was always inclined towards spirituality. I just wasnt convinced with my mothers ritual worship of going to a temple and worshipping the idols with no factual understanding of the same.I wanted to do much more with god. It was just i couldnt express nor did i find the means to do so..

The frustration i had on god,,i showed it on my girlfriends. I was however still let down. I then accidentally saw this youtube video about "kleem" mantra. As a final resort i chanted 10000 times kleem and immediately all my relations with my girlfriend began to better. Even random girls started to hit on me,
    I then thought there should be something paranormal even if there isnt krishna. I then found out that kleem was the beeja mantra for krishna,,,
    For over a month of doing kleeem i finally saw another youtube video on "om gam ganapataye"
    I recited it and within three days my travel documents which were lost 5 months prior to that were posted to my house!i saved 1000dollars due to this. not only that everything started to become smoother in my work life and spirituality,.
    and then i furthur read more and more about lord ganesha. I read the "ajam nirvikalpam"I mused i thought krishna was parabrahma!!why is this hymn calling ganesha as para brahma!!I furthur realized that without intelligence devotion carries no meaning. And gam ganapataye namaha is the mantra for wisdom,,the supreme wisdom that takes you straight to god. I then met my guru too. My guru told me spirituality and materialism go hand in hand. If you experience real spirituality you will get material success too. if you dont then you are not practicing the right spirituality,,my career improved,, my consciousness changed. I dont resent people,i dont get angry, i am happy most of the time,,things are changing for me. And if i ever meet any dumb iskconite who tells me this is "materialistic" i even have the guts to break his bones without feeling guilty.
    Ganesha is the supreme lord of all,the supreme reality who destroys all obstacles. Obstacles to spirituality and materialism, He also bestows upon us the supreme wisdom which takes us to the path beyond the maya of forms and names,God is one,.And without wisdom worshipping god is as good as pouring water in an empty flowerpot.
    Three days after worshipping ganesha datura flowers started to grow in my house. Things for my spirituality started falling in place. i can now chant om gam ganapatayyai namaha without worrying about other things coz ganesha takes care of everything.
    Sarvam shree ganeshaarpanamastu
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 18 May 2014 at 10:01 PM.

Thread Information