Thread: Hi, What is Sanatana Dharma?

Hi, What is Sanatana Dharma?

Hi Has this anything to do with Lord Sanatana? WHo is he really? What is Sanatana Dharma about? I havnt actually came accross it until today.

I have read a little regarding this and can always search for more but thought itd be nice to have the views of people here.

Re: Hi, What is Sanatana Dharma?

Quote Originally Posted by eyeopen View Post
    Hi Has this anything to do with Lord Sanatana? WHo is he really? What is Sanatana Dharma about? I havnt actually came accross it until today.

I have read a little regarding this and can always search for more but thought itd be nice to have the views of people here.
    I don't know how you survived so long in HDF.

What is Sanatana Dharma about?
    Im a gujarati, keem cho, lol. Also a follower of Hinduism and very spiritual too!
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by eyeopen View Post
    Sanatana Dharma is the correct name for Hinduism. It refers to all forms of Hinduism.
    Jeff (a.k.a. Govinda Das)

Hindu Quaker.
    Though I am eternal, immutable, and the Lord of all beings, yet I manifest Myself by controlling material Nature, using My own divine potential energy, the Divine Light
    (Bhagavad Gita 4:6

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Sanātana¹ dharma is predicated upon ārṣa jñāna. Many know this but thought it was worthy to repeat what this is.
    • ārṣa - relating or belonging to or derived from ṛṣi-s (some spell rishi's) seers of truth, of Reality);
    • and we know jñāna is knowledge.
    So sanātana dharma is anchored upon, founded in, and supported by the knowledge of the seers of Reality.
    This is why sanātana dharma is so profound, so insightful. It comes to us via the seers that know, the exponents of Reality. That is, those seers that are exponents of this Infinite Being of Intelligence and can speak from direct personal experience.

This experience of Reality can be had by all . That is, Reality, expansion of consciousess, Being, is svatāsiddha. The notion of Being is self-revealed, self-known on a personal -subjective -intimate level. It is svatā + siddha :
    • svatā = the state of belonging to one's self , ownership as sva स्व = one's own , my own.
    • siddha = accomplished , fulfilled , effected , gained , acquired, well-known
    At the core of sanātana dharma , is the orientation that one can come to reveal Reality because it is self-proved. It is self-proved because it is who we really are.

Hence the upaniṣad-s, the ved, various āgama's give us knowledge , then we ourselves can have this practical experience ourselves - this is the notion of svatāsiddha. If we just read about all the saints and ṛṣi-s thier experiences remain on the page and not in our field of experience.

Come to know your Self (sva-ātman) and you will know the depth and breath of sanātana dharma.

praṇām

words

1. sanātana is defined as eternal , perpetual , permanent , everlasting , primeval , ancient
    • With the long ā this word could be looked as as sanā-atana or sana-atana or sana-ātan-a
    • sanā is defined as 'of old' and we can quickly see the connection to 'eternal'.
    • sana - is defined as 'lasting long' , again the connection to 'everlasting'
    • atana is a passer on, or the act of passing on
    • ātan is to extend or stretch over , penetrate , spread , overspread (said of the light) , illuminate
    dharma is from dhṛ - that which upholds, preserves , keeps ; and dharma then is defined as that which is established or firm , steadfast

So this sanātana dharma is that which upholds (dhṛ), establishes firm that which is ancient ( sanā ) and ever lasting (sana) that spreads over (ātan) and is passed on (atana).
    Last edited by yajvan; 03 October 2013 at 05:21 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Anirudh, I dont know what HDF means, sorry. But you could of tried explaing, lol.

Im from the UK a fairly small place alot of Hindus, Muslims, and sikhs, mainly British, soem chineese, africans etc. But I have not come across Sanatana Dharma before. SOrry if this offends people here, but its the truth.

Yajvan, thanks you for your reply, Shukriya.

It still isit much familiar, However you have kind of just describes some of my views, as I wish to know and find the Truth, threw research, knowledge, I wish to be like Rishis, know the truth.

So regarding Sanatana Dharma, who is God? Supreme being etc?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    I don't know how you survived so long in HDF.
    Anirudh, I jsut realsied what HDF is, sorry, I realised last night but forgot, Hindu Dharma Forums, lol. sorry, yes well I just joined.

Arrow Re: Hi, What is Sanatana Dharma?

।। श्री गणेशाय नमः ।।

Hare krishna

After reading this nothing remains to understan what is " sanatana dharma " ( now globally called as hinduism).

The following information that was originally offered in this post can be found in full at this site:
    http://veda.wikidot.com/hinduism
    Full cut-and-pastes from another site may violate the site's copy-right laws or the original author's intent of use and is not considered appropriate on HDF.

thank you for your co-operation on this matter.

EDITED : Sorry for that

श्री हरी ॐ नमः भगवते वासुदेवाय ।।
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 10 October 2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: cut and paste
    Hari On!

Thanks, I just saw Govinda Das's comment, now you mean Hinduism by Sanatana Dharma? Now it makes sense to me. Thankyou.

Sanatana means eternal, never beginning nor ending.
    Dharma is from dhuri, meaning to hold together, to sustain.
    Sanatana Dharma eternally holds All together.

Thread Information