Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Segmented animals vs. individual jiva/soul

Segmented animals vs. individual jiva/soul

Hello, I have a doubt about reincarnation/jiva/segmented animals.
    If every single living organism is occupied by a jiva/soul, ¿What happens if I split an earthworm in two pieces? If both sides regrow missing parts and survive, then it becomes 2 new organisms so, ¿what happens with the individual jiva that formerly occupied the single organism that now became two? ¿can a jiva occupy simultaneously two bodies? or ¿what is the spiritual explanation for that?

Thanks.

Re: Segmented animals vs. individual jiva/soul

Namaste, i don't know much about this earthworm

But i think splitting of earthworms in two is a reproduction and obviously there will be two jivas however in every body whether it is human or animal body, atma remains same. Atma is eternal, all pervading bramh. In veda, jiva is described in atomic size But this is only for the sake of simplicity. Atma is "ekamevadvitiya" nondual, without a second.

Hare krishna

If you split it, it will die.

And i forgot to say one thing. JIVA AND ATMA are two different concepts. At the supreme state, saying multiple jivas or atma is an illusion. The only cause of separate limited individuality is the mind. After realizing your self, you won't see your self different from that worm

Quote Originally Posted by ale84 View Post
    If every single living organism is occupied by a jiva/soul, ¿What happens if I split an earthworm in two pieces? If both sides regrow missing parts and survive, then it becomes 2 new organisms so, ¿what happens with the individual jiva that formerly occupied the single organism that now became two? ¿can a jiva occupy simultaneously two bodies? or ¿what is the spiritual explanation for that?
    After the separation obviously there must be two souls. Each will have its own part.
    The scriptures describe the soul as tiny as an atom. This means that one soul can not live in both parts.

regards

With quantum mechanics things get very weird, things can be in on place and another at the same time or only have an affect when being measured, etc. So it suggests that there may be unity and multiplicity all in one, there is the one supersoul who is also in an infinite multiplicity of places as individuals at once.

¿What happens if I split an earthworm in two pieces?
    Only one half will grow into a full earthworm.
    "Everybody wants to see God but nobody wants to do any sadhana." -- Swami Sivananda
    "You can advance only through karma yoga; by karma yoga you may benefit others also....Only hard work can make a person powerful and energetic." -- Haidakhan Babaji
    "Do everything you do as Śivathondu." -- Yogaswami

Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ale84
    After the separation obviously there must be two souls. Each will have its own part.
    The scriptures describe the soul as tiny as an atom. This means that one soul can not live in both parts.
    See this http://compost.css.cornell.edu/worms/faq.html :

What happens if you cut a worm in half?
    Almost everyone wants to know the answer to this question. Some species of worms can regenerate, or re-grow, a new tail, if their tail is cut off. However, a worm cut too closely to its' head will have difficulty growing a new tail. Most worms will not regenerate a head.

Generally, we tell students that if you cut a worm in half, you will most likely end up with two dead pieces of worms. However, if you are lucky, the piece with the head may grow a new tail, so you will have one alive worm and one piece of dead worm.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by Jetavan View Post
    I'm talking about certain earthworm species with the hability to regrow heads, so both halves will survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetavan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post

See this http://compost.css.cornell.edu/worms/faq.html :

What happens if you cut a worm in half?
    Almost everyone wants to know the answer to this question. Some species of worms can regenerate, or re-grow, a new tail, if their tail is cut off. However, a worm cut too closely to its' head will have difficulty growing a new tail. Most worms will not regenerate a head.

Generally, we tell students that if you cut a worm in half, you will most likely end up with two dead pieces of worms. However, if you are lucky, the piece with the head may grow a new tail, so you will have one alive worm and one piece of dead worm.

regards
    ¿What about turbellaria? It may be split in 279 pieces and all may regrow into a whole body.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

I'm talking about certain earthworm species with the hability to regrow heads, so both halves will survive.
    It seems you have the understanding that there are discrete souls bound by the form in which it lives.

Consider the space in a clay pot. We think this space resides in the pot. Break that pot. Where is the space - it was the same before and after the pot was broken, never really contained. Like that, this whole creation moves within the Self (ātman); it is not creation that contains the Self, but the Self that graciously contains all and every thing.

Think of your home or building; it is the space all around it that allows this building to exist. No space, no building. That space is no different for the home 100 km. away. It is the same space. Can you find a break or pause in space ? Where one space for house 1 starts, and the other where house 2 begins? Like that, this Self has no boundaries. You are the house, the worm is another house. Being is the 'space'.

iti śiva
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information