Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Buddhism More Accessible in the US

Why is Buddhism More Accessible in the US

Namaste,

Recently I went to the bookstore to peruse the title on Hinduism, and I noticed something. There were 4 full shelves of book on Buddhism, and barely half of a shelf with books on Hinduism. This seems the case with any bookstore I go to. Why would this be? I have to believe that there would be vastly more Hindu books out there than Buddhism.

Thank you.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Re: Why is Buddhism More Accessible in the US

Hari Om

Namaste

Yes, I see the same thing. My opinion only in no particular order of importance/influence:

1. It is one form of Buddhism that dominates shelves that I observe, Tibeten.

2. Think above is due in part to how Hollywood has embraced the Dali Lama.

3. How some of the forms of Buddhism are popularized here is more palpable to populace.

4. Hindus in general do not proselytize where Buddhism has much more of this in comparison. This dynamic, drives many other things that all lead to popularity and interest.

5. With the above, much more ignorance of Hinduism which impacts interest.

6. For many reasons in culture influenced strongly by Judeo/Christian, Buddhism is not as offensive or frightening ("idoltry" mark on forehead, search for "knowledge", etc.)

7. Lastly is perhaps a reach but... How Hinduism is presented, sometimes even by those who are friendly to her, is not helpful. Hopefully, via studies, Sadhana, visits to Mandir and interactions from there, see difference from what is presented at the superficial.

Those are just quick thoughts and others may have different opinion.

Take good care.

Om NamahShivaya

FFTW

Quote Originally Posted by fem_phoenix1109 View Post
    Namaste,

Recently I went to the bookstore to peruse the title on Hinduism, and I noticed something. There were 4 full shelves of book on Buddhism, and barely half of a shelf with books on Hinduism. This seems the case with any bookstore I go to. Why would this be? I have to believe that there would be vastly more Hindu books out there than Buddhism.

Thank you.
    Vannakkam: I think Buddhism is less of a jump, and doesn't get the same bad rap so much as we do. Buddhism also might seem to have less rules and practices.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,
    I second what Friend from West said. I have seen the same thing for many years that bookstores have full shelf of books on Buddhism and two or three books on Hinduism, mostly just a copy of Gita by a couple of authors.

I have always thought that Buddhists do a great job at marketing.
    satay

Namaste,

To recap what others have written, it is fear and rules.

Fear - The Xitian right is deathly afraid of this disease called Hinduism, When Deepak Chopra was in the initial stages of becoming popular and would use concepts of Hindu philosophy in his speeches/talks/writings, the evangelicals tried to bring him down by turning his secretary against him. She was paid to bring up a sexual harassment lawsuit against him. Instead of paying her off to go away and be tainted by false allegations, he fought back. Soon enough, she broke down and withdrew her lawsuit, much to the embarrasement of her evangelical handlers.

Rules - Buddhism is lot less stringent in their rules and has a visible authority figure at the top. Hollywood crowd is a non-vegetarian, promiscous lot but they get to sit next to the Dalai Lama in exchange for their support. Common people follow in their footsteps.

All finer things in life require more effort to achieve, the fluff comes easy.

Pranam.

Vannakkam Believer: Oh, you mean I can't be a Hindu, eat meat, and be promiscuous at the same time? Darn!

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste!

I second much of what others have said. A lot of it boils down to how the two traditions have been presented in academic scholarship. Remember that many of the early Indologists (especially in the nineteenth century) were Protestant Christians, and others tended toward agnosticism or atheism. Hinduism was depicted by them using many of the same terms that had been used to deride, and tapping into many of the same prejudices that many of them held against, Roman Catholic Christianity. So Hinduism became a religion full of "priestcraft" and "idolatry," and basically a medieval holdover. Buddhism, on the other hand, was depicted as the "Protestant" (or enlightened rationalist) counterpoint of Hinduism's Roman Catholicism: serene, rational, and non-theistic. This false dichotomy continues to be perpetuated in new forms to the present day, so young Americans instinctively associate Hinduism with backwardness (or what Rajiv Malhotra calls "caste, cows, and curry"), while Buddhism is progressive and "cool."

A brief anecdote along these lines: As a professor, I used to teach two separate survey courses: one on Hinduism and one on Buddhism. I consistently found that, due to the prevailing stereotypes that we've been discussing, the interesting, spiritual seeker type students who were eager to engage with the material tended to gravitate to the Buddhism course, while the Hinduism course was more heavily populated by bored kids who were simply fulfilling their college requirement to have a course on a non-western culture. This became so irritating to me that I eventually did away with the two-course model and started teaching a single course called "Dharma Traditions," encompassing both (plus Jainism and Sikhism). My attitude, in short, was, "If you want your sweets (Buddhism) then, darn it, you're going to have to take your medicine (Hinduism)!"

The result, exactly as I predicted, is that students now come away from the course with many of their stereotypes dispelled, realizing that Hinduism is far more profound and philosophical than they had thought, and that Buddhism, while also profound and philosophical, is no less populated with deities and rituals than is Hinduism. I knew the spiritual seekers would be every bit as enthralled by Vedanta and the Gita as they were with Buddhism, and that of course proved to be true. In fact, many prefer Hinduism, in the end, to the degree that belief in a personal God is important to them. For many, I think the question of which path to follow, Hindu or Buddhist, comes down to theism.
    "One who makes a habit of prayer and meditation will easily overcome all difficulties and remain calm and unruffled in the midst of the trials of life." (Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Oh, you mean I can't be a Hindu, eat meat, and be promiscuous at the same time?
    Didn't your daddy ever tell you that you can be anything that you want to be?
    That includes being a Hindu and a.., a.., a.., a..., and a..., all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery D. Long View Post
    I second much of what others have said. A lot of it boils down to how the two traditions have been presented in academic scholarship. Remember that many of the early Indologists (especially in the nineteenth century) were Protestant Christians, and others tended toward agnosticism or atheism. Hinduism was depicted by them using many of the same terms that had been used to deride, and tapping into many of the same prejudices that many of them held against, Roman Catholic Christianity. So Hinduism became a religion full of "priestcraft" and "idolatry," and basically a medieval holdover. Buddhism, on the other hand, was depicted as the "Protestant" (or enlightened rationalist) counterpoint of Hinduism's Roman Catholicism: serene, rational, and non-theistic. This false dichotomy continues to be perpetuated in new forms to the present day, so young Americans instinctively associate Hinduism with backwardness (or what Rajiv Malhotra calls "caste, cows, and curry"), while Buddhism is progressive and "cool
    Thanks Jeff, for providing that perspective. It means a lot coming from someone who deals with the audience in question on a daily basis.

Pranam.

Hari Om

Namaste to all,

As an aside, thanks Fem for reminding me once again of the beauty of HDF.

As an other aside, just enjoyed this thread.

Lastly, Dr. Long's closing was true for me. Theravada was strict if you will and offered much to me. Divinity was lacking. Sanatana Dharma, Hindusim offers this Truth. Even as one Jiva who has fetters on too much, wished more books on shelves will follow, but realize with or without, nothing substantively, changes.

Om NamahShivaya

FFTW

Namaste,

I appreciate all of the responses. I had originally thought it had something to do with gods, and the portrayal that Hinduism worships many gods while Buddhism doesn't. That makes a lot of westerners uncomfortable for some reason. For me it's one of the main things that drew me in. I have delved into Buddhism along my path, and it was the closest I could find for a long time to what I was looking for. But it always felt lacking, like something was missing. When I found Hinduism it became clear that Hinduism offered everything that I was missing in Buddhism.

It's strange, for many years I studied Buddhism, and I never came across Hinduism much in my studies. You'd think the paths would cross, but they didn't for me for a very long time. I have a deep sense of gratitude that I have found it, and I truly believe it is only through Shiva's grace that I have.

Pranam.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Thread Information