Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs

Dogs

Namaste.
    What is your opinion on dogs as companions or pets? I've always had a Phobia of dogs because I've never been around them, but I've always found them beautiful. I've finally got over that fear, and I can genuinely say that these creatures make me admire animals all that much more. It truely is a humbling experience looking into a dogs eyes. I wanted to get one as a pet, so I talked to a ISKCON member I know, just to clarify if hinduism has anything against this, and hence why I'm posting here. The things he said have kind of shocked me.

'Dogs are very impure, always keep them outside the house. Only makes sense to have one when there is a lot of land to protect.
    impure means, that they contaminate everything. Their stool is very impure. They are meant to be only outside at all times.'

So I asked him what if it is trained to only poop outside and the response was...

'First class means, house is always clean and pure.
    Dogs can't live up to that standard. Well just ask any elder indian where dogs were kept in the past.
    It is not weird or unfair. Just like you won't put a pig inside a house, an unclean animal must be kept outside.'

I don't know if he is correct and I'm too influenced by western culture, or if my gut feeling that I'm doing nothing wrong is the right decision. Hence, I'd like your opinion. Thanks.

Re: Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by IcySupreme View Post
    Namaste.
    What is your opinion on dogs as companions or pets? I've always had a Phobia of dogs because I've never been around them, but I've always found them beautiful. I've finally got over that fear, and I can genuinely say that these creatures make me admire animals all that much more. It truely is a humbling experience looking into a dogs eyes. I wanted to get one as a pet, so I talked to a ISKCON member I know, just to clarify if hinduism has anything against this, and hence why I'm posting here. The things he said have kind of shocked me.

'Dogs are very impure, always keep them outside the house. Only makes sense to have one when there is a lot of land to protect.
    impure means, that they contaminate everything. Their stool is very impure. They are meant to be only outside at all times.'

So I asked him what if it is trained to only poop outside and the response was...

'First class means, house is always clean and pure.
    Dogs can't live up to that standard. Well just ask any elder indian where dogs were kept in the past.
    It is not weird or unfair. Just like you won't put a pig inside a house, an unclean animal must be kept outside.'

I don't know if he is correct and I'm too influenced by western culture, or if my gut feeling that I'm doing nothing wrong is the right decision. Hence, I'd like your opinion. Thanks.
    Namaste,

I am not well versed in the Itihasas, but I do recall Yudhishthira persuading someone (I don't recall who) to let a dog come with him and the PāNDavā when they ascended into the Realm of the Gods. If a dog can enter heaven, the Realm of the Gods, I am sure a dog can be kept as a lovable companion.

In the most high and most noble Rig Veda, Shri Saramā was a dog-companion of Shri Indra - who was responsible for bringing Dawn by the acquisition of Cows/Gotmata-s from the Withholders (Pāni-s) as per the will of Shri Indra. I fail to see the scriptural basis on how dogs are unclean or not to be kept as lovable companions in one's family household, especially by an Iskconite since the GItA states that there is no difference between animals ranging from dogs to humans (Brahmins, Kshatriyas, etc.).
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 11 October 2013 at 07:09 PM.

Namaste,

In many traditional Hindu temples, if any street dog enters by any chance, rituals of purification is performed. Only certain animals like elephant, cows are allowed inside. If one performs deity worship inside a house in a very traditional way by maintaining great physical purity, then this factor may come into picture. I wouldn't take this to imply that any animal is degraded here.

But the biggest problem I see in raising a dog is that they are very adorable. No one can love you like a dog can and that can raise great attachment to the animal, atleast for me. This reminds me of the story of Jada Bharata and hence arises the concern.

Just sharing my thoughts here..not trying to discourage or scare any one :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jignyAsu View Post
    Namaste,

In many traditional Hindu temples, if any street dog enters by any chance, rituals of purification is performed. Only certain animals like elephant, cows are allowed inside. If one performs deity worship inside a house in a very traditional way by maintaining great physical purity, then this factor may come into picture. I wouldn't take this to imply that any animal is degraded here.

But the biggest problem I see in raising a dog is that they are very adorable. No one can love you like a dog can and that can raise great attachment to the animal, atleast for me. This reminds me of the story of Jada Bharata and hence arises the concern.

Just sharing my thoughts here..not trying to discourage or scare any one :-)
    Namaste,

Not that this matters, but I thought it wise to bring it up:

The matter of dogs being considered impure by various Hindus was actually influenced by the Islamic Rule of India, since Islam finds dogs to be extremely evil, unkempt, and vile creatures as per Quranic Law.

Before the Islamic Rule of India, there is no evidence that dogs were considered impure by Hindus; in fact, there are numerous examples of wall paintings/wall sculptures showing dogs in a very positive light.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    The matter of dogs being considered impure by various Hindus was actually influenced by the Islamic Rule of India, since Islam finds dogs to be extremely evil, unkempt, and vile creatures as per Quranic Law.

Before the Islamic Rule of India, there is no evidence that dogs were considered impure by Hindus; in fact, there are numerous examples of wall paintings/wall sculptures showing dogs in a very positive light.

I didn't say that Hinduism considers dogs as evil or vile creatures.....I was just talking about the practices inside temples. Lot of what is acceptable outside is not acceptable inside the temples due to high sanctity. Walking outside with a dog is different from walking inside with it in a place of worship.

I don't see why Hinduism would get influenced by islam in this regard, when it didn't change its opinon about cows and pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by jignyAsu View Post
    I didn't say that Hinduism considers dogs as evil or vile creatures.....I was just talking about the practices inside temples. Lot of what is acceptable outside is not acceptable inside the temples due to high sanctity. Walking outside with a dog is different from walking inside with it in a place of worship.

I don't see why Hinduism would get influenced by islam in this regard, when it didn't change its opinon about cows and pigs.
    Pranam-s,

I believe the OP was talking about keeping dogs as lovable-companions in one's family household; I do not know the shAstra-pramANas for dogs entering mandirs, however. All I know is that there is no rule stating that dogs cannot be kept as lovable companions in one's family household. Therefore, if a dog can enter the Realm of the Gods with the PāNDavā, it is extremely safe to state that a dog can be kept as a pet/lovable companion in one's family household. But, I never said that you said that dogs are considered evil in Hinduism. It was all a misunderstanding.

Pranam-s,

I believe the OP was talking about keeping dogs as lovable-companions in one's family household; I do not know the shAstra-pramANas for dogs entering mandirs, however. All I know is that there is no rule stating that dogs cannot be kept as lovable companions in one's family household. Therefore, if a dog can enter the Realm of the Gods with the PāNDavā, it is extremely safe to state that a dog can be kept as a pet/lovable companion in one's family household. But, I never said that you said that dogs are considered evil in Hinduism. It was all a misunderstanding.
    Thankyou for all your opinions. It does sooth my mind to a certain degree. I shared some of the information in this thread with said individual, and he maintains his views they shouldn't be in the household, only outside. I'm not sure what to think, but my gut tells me I'm doing nothing wrong, so really I'll proceed with saving up for my puppy

Quote Originally Posted by IcySupreme View Post
    Thankyou for all your opinions. It does sooth my mind to a certain degree. I shared some of the information in this thread with said individual, and he maintains his views they shouldn't be in the household, only outside. I'm not sure what to think, but my gut tells me I'm doing nothing wrong...
    Pranam-s,

Unless you, yourself, are of ISKCON/a gauDiya vaishNava...I don't understand why you are worrying about this. I wish you all the best.
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 11 January 2014 at 02:27 PM.

Smile Re: Dogs

Namaste ,

Petting of most animals is forbidden for bramhan castes and dog is one of them. If you are not bramhan, go for it !

Though I am bramhan ,I have cat pet . I think Cats are allowed to pet . I love my cat and I want to give her next birth as a human. I recite hari names ,bhagavad gita ,bhagavat purana in her ears Mayb it will help.

Dhanyavad ...
    Hari On!

Namaste,

Not that this matters, but I thought it wise to bring it up:

The Zoroastrians considered them holy and their culture is also closely related to Vedic culture so it seems likely dogs would have been thought well of there (The Gathas even mention protecting cows against the barbarian nomads who come and kill them, there is a lot of similarity).

Thread Information