Thread: Formal Conversion

Question Formal Conversion

Namaste HDF,

While I'm guessing this topic has been discussed on HDF before, I'm also guessing the threads that discussed it are too old to perform necromancy upon now, so I'm starting a new one. I'm starting one because I am not sure where I stand on this topic.

I've heard different statements from different people regarding whether or not to be officially considered a Hindu requires a formal conversion. When I wrote that one piece I did for Hinduism Today magazine, I originally put in the statement that no formal conversion was necessary, but was later told to omit that statement due to different views Hindus have on the subject. I am not questioning the wisdom of the editor here, it was indeed wise in retrospect to not bring it up. Still, there are nagging doubts in my mind if I can be considered Hindu by other Hindus without going through a formal conversion.

I know the answer is "go with your heart," in the sense Hinduism allows either case (otherwise there wouldn't be debate on the topic), but...I just don't know where I personally stand on this topic. Part of it may be the nagging doubts of my "Hindu-ness" creeping in once more, and of course they will go away with time. Still, maybe a formal conversion could put them to rest once and for all...but I would need to be able to go somewhere that does it, which could be challenging for me due to lack of a car.

That's why I want to know what you think...hearing the opinions of others may help me make up my own mind.

Re: Formal Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Webimpulse View Post
    Namaste HDF,

While I'm guessing this topic has been discussed on HDF before, I'm also guessing the threads that discussed it are too old to perform necromancy upon now, so I'm starting a new one. I'm starting one because I am not sure where I stand on this topic.

I've heard different statements from different people regarding whether or not to be officially considered a Hindu requires a formal conversion. When I wrote that one piece I did for Hinduism Today magazine, I originally put in the statement that no formal conversion was necessary, but was later told to omit that statement due to different views Hindus have on the subject. I am not questioning the wisdom of the editor here, it was indeed wise in retrospect to not bring it up. Still, there are nagging doubts in my mind if I can be considered Hindu by other Hindus without going through a formal conversion.

I know the answer is "go with your heart," in the sense Hinduism allows either case (otherwise there wouldn't be debate on the topic), but...I just don't know where I personally stand on this topic. Part of it may be the nagging doubts of my "Hindu-ness" creeping in once more, and of course they will go away with time. Still, maybe a formal conversion could put them to rest once and for all...but I would need to be able to go somewhere that does it, which could be challenging for me due to lack of a car.

That's why I want to know what you think...hearing the opinions of others may help me make up my own mind.
    Vannakkam: I'm the only person here that formally converted, and I'm tremendously outnumbered, so if you need info on the process, please PM me. I don't want to offend anyone here who doesn't see the need to formally convert. Obviously, it was a need for me, but it's not the general consensus.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information