Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worshipping Radha - yes or no?

Exclamation Worshipping Radha - yes or no?

Namaste,

I was told that the Hare Krishna mantra addresses Radha and Krishna but that one should not worship Them until one is really experienced. (When I recite the Hare Krishna mantra then the image of Lord Rama keeps appearing in my head which makes me feel assertive, which I don't like). So, to change the effect I made up a mantra that rhymes with the Hare Krishna mantra and I later learned that this mantra already exists. Its words are:

Radhe Krishna Radhe Krishna Krishna Krishna Radhe Radhe
    Radhe Shyam Radhe Shyam Shyam Shyam Radhe Radhe.

I also learned that this mantra belongs to the teachings of a tradition by Nimbarka and that this tradition is different from Gaudiya Vaishnavism. Should I follow the concept of Gaudiya Vaishnavism and not worship Radha ("directly") or should I worship her? Where can I find material about Nimbarka in English?

Re: Worshipping Radha - yes or no?

Namaste Cosinuskurve,

(When I recite the Hare Krishna mantra then the image of Lord Rama keeps appearing in my head which makes me feel assertive, which I don't like).
    I wanted to ask you two questions...

#1. Why did you not like Shree Raama appearing in your mind?

#2. When Shree Raama and Shree Krishna are the different forms of Shreeman Naaraayan what is wrong if you see Shree Raama instead of Shree Krishna?

A portion of your post is similar to the challenge I faced earlier in my life. Irrespective of the temple I visited, I use to say loudly Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu. I have done this in a Shiva temple located in an area where Shavites are majority.

My actions have had irritated the devotees and priest. I was feeling guilty as well.

In one of discussion in HDF understood that there is nothing wrong in my behavior nor I have to change. So if you see Shree Raama while you are reciting Shree Krishna's name, I don't see any reason to change the effect. In fact, I would suggest you not to disturb your natural flow.

Where can I find material about Nimbarka in English?
    Following links may be of some use to you...

http://nimbark.org/shri-nimbarka-sampradaya/
    http://www.golokdham.org/sampradaya.html
    http://www.sanatansociety.org/yoga_a...m#.Ul77RVCmgSU

Books ...
    http://www.exoticindiaart.com/book/d...dition-IDG818/
    Anirudh...

Namaste Cosinuskurve

Who told you that only the experienced can worship Sri Radha? Everyone can do it, not only experienced people. Gaudiya Vaishnavas don't think that only experienced can worship Sri Radha! However you should not worship Sri Radha alone, but together with Lord Krishna.

To made up a mantra is not good thing to do. It is good to recite only existing mantras. Radhe Krishna ... Radhe Shyam is good only if it is existing mantra or song.

regards

#1. Why did you not like Shree Raama appearing in your mind?

#2. When Shree Raama and Shree Krishna are the different forms of Shreeman Naaraayan what is wrong if you see Shree Raama instead of Shree Krishna?
    Shree Rama to me seems a "man"/God of exemplary fulfillment of duties. I'm afraid of not fulfulling high standards as Rama seems to embody for me.

Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Namaste Cosinuskurve

To made up a mantra is not good thing to do. It is good to recite only existing mantras. Radhe Krishna ... Radhe Shyam is good only if it is existing mantra or song.

regards
    I know but Radhe Krishna Radhe Shyam seems to come from Nimbarka's tradition.

http://sriradhabhakti.org/ - The mantra is on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosinuskurve View Post
    I know but Radhe Krishna Radhe Shyam seems to come from Nimbarka's tradition.

http://sriradhabhakti.org/ - The mantra is on their website.
    Alright then.

Shree Rama to me seems a "man"/God of exemplary fulfillment of duties. I'm afraid of not fulfulling high standards as Rama seems to embody for me.
    Do not worry about it. Lord Rama will be satisfied if He appears in your mind.

regards

Namaste,

I'm afraid of not fulfilling high standards as Rama seems to embody for me.
    I am curious to know why you feel so?
    Anirudh...

Namaste,

Qualities of deity gets cultivated in us by chanting name of deity

By chanting name of any deity, you acquire his/her quality. It is good to follow what they ask us to or their life teaches us, but in this age, we cannot live like Rama.

By Daily and sincerely chanting name of Rama and Krishna, you will slowly gain their qualities. Hence it is better to read glories associated with him. Stutis like Rama Sahasranama or Vishnu Sahasranama, which describe their wonderful qualities and by reading about their life like in Ramayana or Mahabharata or in various puranas, slowly fills us with bliss.

Do not feel guilty

You should not feel guilty that you cannot follow ideals set by Lord Rama. Instead pray to Lord to give you sattvik qualities and give what it best for you. Then Lord will give you what suits you the best and that too that is required in living the life in this yuga.

No avatar is inferior or superior

Also do not consider any avatar of Lord Vishnu s inferior. Rama hide 2 kalA-s or 4 kalA-s because of the boon given to RAvaNa that they cannot be killed by Deva-s. The qualities were always present, but in latent form. Lord descends with qualities that are necessary to fulfill the purpose of their descent. In case of RAma, he only needed 12 kalA-s (or as some say 14 kalA-s).

I like the saying -

Everyone should live like RAma and KrushNa

In home, live like RAma, outside, live like KrushNa.

Intention behind action is more important than action itself

KrushNa taught us the intention behind any action is more important that action itself, while RAma was maryAdA purushottama. Chanakya was great e.g. applying this logic.

The name of Rama and Krishna, the holy mantra Hare RAma RAma RAma ... is found in KAli Santarana Upanishad, one of the 108 upanishads mentioned in Muktika Upanishad

It says that the tatva Jnana is hidden. Best way in Kali Yuga is to chant the holy names. It gives 4 kinds of mukti.

Prem Bhakti

I do not know much about Radha nor am I a Vaishnava. General trend is that bhakti of Srimati RAdhA RAnI is of the highest type - Prem Bhakti. Only a purest of pure heart can actually love Lord i.e. gets attracted towards lord with the intensity as that of a lover is attracted towards another lover (it's not materialist love, passion, etc). Love is attraction, as I understand.

Dasa Bhakti - simplest says Sri Ramakrishna

Sri Ramakrishna has said that in todays age, Vatsayla BhAva is only for veera mAtA-s (Heroic mothers), hence das bhAva is the best and the simplest one for this age. When one's mind is free from the wants of worldly desires, love for God cultivates and blossoms, not before. Hence chant the name of lord as a servant, later the bhAva can be change to sakhA, or prem bhAva, after our heart and mind are purified by God's grace. Do we actually feel the pain of separation from God?

Please let the mantra and the image of whatever lord i.e. RAma come to you. Just let it flow. Have faith in God. He knows what is best for you. Simply surrender and have faith that whatever God does, does for the good of me. It suits me the best. Just be natural and flow with the name, cleanse your heart by repeating the name.

In the end, you will be naturally attracted towards any one form of God to a greater extend and another e.g. you may be attracted towards Rama than Krishna. In this case do not try to resist this attraction. Just let it be. It all happens according to one's prakruti.

Following ideals is optional and not a compulsion

Please remember, the men who live exemplary life are role models and people willingly follow in their footsteps. They are not compelled to follow. i.t. there are no do's and dont's

e.g. if we keep the highest ideal of ahimsA (non-injury) and dayA (compassion) of all living beings, then we have the e.g of the Great Lord Buddha. So ahimsA (non-injury) became the pillar of Buddhist religion. But not all can follow it. What has happened in end? most Buddhists are meat eaters. So certain rules are to be strictly followed by sanyAsins. This rule has to be followed by a Hindu SanyAsin and laymen follows it out of respect for living exemplary as much as they could. They try their best not to hurt other animals. Here there is no burden, no do's and dont's. If we keep rules that laymen cannot follow strictly, then the reaction will be reverse, as we see in Buddhists.

In short, the ideals put forth by great men, are for our encouragement and are to be willing followed and slowly cultivated. They are not the rules and not following them is not a sin. Even if it is a sin, we have ways to decree them.

Please read Ahimsa from the book Hindu Dharma

e.g. a Brahmin has to do vaishadeva puja. This is for neutralizing sins like an ant crawls one the hot stove / burner and is burnt or some insects die while doing pounding or sweeping, some die while we put a water pot, s some insects are attracted towards moisture.To neutralize this sins committed unknowingly, this yagna has to be daily carried out.

Please know that I am not trying to stop you from chanting Radha's name.

Namo Narayana
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Hi, I just wanted to ask who is Radha?

I know whom people say she was a lover or devouty of Krishna etc.

I believe there is more meaning to this, I dont believe its the way epople think, unless you udnerstand spirtuality you cant understand Krishna radha etc I believe.

Some say Radha is a root of Goddess devine eg durga mata or parvati mata herself shati etc? Others say she is a avatar of Lakshmi mata.

The male and female deities have commonly been placed together to represent the body(pratiki) and spirit(purusra) of the cosmic man, so in a cosmic sense they are the same God, just two aspects.

Thread Information