Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worshipping Radha - yes or no?

Re: Worshipping Radha - yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by eyeopen View Post
    Hi, I just wanted to ask who is Radha?

I know whom people say she was a lover or devouty of Krishna etc.

I believe there is more meaning to this, I dont believe its the way epople think, unless you udnerstand spirtuality you cant understand Krishna radha etc I believe.

Some say Radha is a root of Goddess devine eg durga mata or parvati mata herself shati etc? Others say she is a avatar of Lakshmi mata.
    Namaste,

Love here means attraction. Krishna Bhagavan represents PuruSa, while RAdhA rAnI represents Prakruti. Kindly note that we always say RAdhA or RAdhe or RadhA-rAnI, but never Maa RAdhA, while we always sat, Maa Sita, Maa Laxmi, Maa Parvati.

It is believed that She was Maa Laxmi. Some even consider RukmiNi devi as Avatar of Maa LAxmi, as she was married to KruShNa bhagavan.

Whatever the case, RAdhA-ji represents pure love of highest degree. Both descended to earth to teach us highest form of bhakti and love.

KruShNa means attraction.

AkarSaNama iti KruShNa

Krishna is wave of attraction

while for Shiva it is said

Sham Mangalam karoti iti Shiva

The one who is auspiciousness, bestows bliss or does good to devotees is Shiva

Krishna is called as ananda lahiri, prem lahiri and saundarya lahiri

Lahara means wave. Hence krishna is the wave of attraction, beauty and love.

Radha ji who symbolizes bhakti, is attracted, just like small magnet is attracted towards bigger magnet.

It is this attraction, which is of sattvik nature, hence pure and not out of lust, that is Radha-ji represents. Mind always dipped in love for Krishna.

In general, a devotee worships bhagavan with dAsa bhAva. dAsa means servant, bhAva means spiritual emotion. When we meet someone, we are not at once comfortable in first meeting. It takes time to come closer. We we come closer, we become friends. This is sakhA bhAva. sakhA means friend. When two people still come closer, and they become lovers, they find it impossible to stay without each other. This is prem bhAva. Prem means love. Each bhAva is in increasing intensity w.r.t to former. Then there is vAtsayla bhAva. vAtsalya means love of father and mother towards child. Here too there is no fear for Bhagavan.

Hence the force of attraction which RAdhA-ji symbolizes is of highest intensity. When bhakta's bhakti matures, he will loose all interest in worldly affairs. All his activities will be centered towards his ishTa devata. When one matures, his chest swells, his heart vibrates with love and eyes overflow with devotion by mere chanting of beloved God, whom he values over everything including himself. Later, he will find it impossible to even remain separate from God, even for a moment. He wants the presence of God each and every second. Technically, RAdhA-ji is all Krishna within. She may not feel her own existence too, as she is always dipped in the thought for Krishna.

Hence, IMHO, RAdhA-ji teaches us highest form of bhakti. The intensity of force of attraction and hence love, devotion and surrender are developed in his full glory.

There is also another way to look at this relationship. For female devotees, They can think of Krishna and only Krishna as their husband and have surrendered fully to him and entirely depends upon him. Meera bAi was one such example.

I am not a GaudiyA Vaishnava. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As I have connected Bhagavan Shiva, let me say a few words for him.

Shiva is sankalp shakti or icchA shakti, vidyA shakti and kriyA shakti

shakti means power
    sankalp or icchA means power of thought or desire. It is generally taken as power of thought
    vidyA means knowledge
    kriyA means action or to work or to act.

First you think of an objective, then you should know how to fulfil your objective and then you should also have ability to fulfil your objective i.e, you should work for fulfil your objective.

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Smile Re: Worshipping Radha - yes or no?

Namaste,

Radha ! The most complex character for me ! Some say she was avatar of laxmi. Some say she is the original Prakriti herself. Some say she is an imaginative character. Some say she was among gopis and me too
    I consider all gopis including radha were topmost devotees. Even though their worship was not vedic, they attained bramhan through bhakti. This is the impact of association with shri Krishna who is himself formless, imperishable bramhan, yet he appeared in form through his maya . See how great bramhan is !

I always think how this is possible ! I can't imagine his greatness . My mind doesn't go beyond Krishna's form . He is the most mysterious and I know what i am going to find is he only.

Radha? Should be worshipped or not ? Probably no. The vedic scriptures are very clear on what is to be worshipped . But you can worship her. The only thing is that wouldn't be a vedic way .

When I say Krishna, always the next word is rukmini !

Hare Krishna !
    Hari On!

Rama hide 2 kalA-s or 4 kalA-s because of the boon given to RAvaNa that they cannot be killed by Deva-s. The qualities were always present, but in latent form. Lord descends with qualities that are necessary to fulfill the purpose of their descent. In case of RAma, he only needed 12 kalA-s (or as some say 14 kalA-s).
    Namaste Amrut,

Can you explain this in detail. What are you referring to by saying 'KalA'
    Anirudh...

Yes.
    "Be the change you wish to see in other people." ~Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste Amrut,

Can you explain this in detail. What are you referring to by saying 'KalA'
    kalA-s are

Krishna Avatara, with all 16 Kalas (Poorna Avatara):

1) Anna Maya (with cereals)
    2) Pranamaya (with breath)
    3) Mano Maya (with mind)
    4) Vigyanamaya (with knowledge)
    5) Anandamaya (with joy)
    6) Atishayini (With Peace)
    7) Viparinabhini (With Love)
    8) Sankramini (With Creator)
    9) Prabhavi (Kartum Akartum, that is able to do seemingly impossible tasks)
    10) Kunthini (meaning ?)
    11) Vikasini (विकासिन् vikasin adj. great )
    12) Maryadini (highly respected or with etiquette)
    13) Sanhaladini (संह्लादिन् saMhlAdin adj. cheering, a source of happiness)
    14) Ahladini (आह्लादिन् AhlAdin adj. causing joy or delight)
    15) Paripurna (complete knowledge of all forms of awakening)
    16) Swarupavasthitha (swarup + awasthith = established in his real true self)

source

RAma had 14 kalA-s. i.e. Vishnu descended as RAmavatAra with 14 kalA-s. KalA-s are siddhis in the language of Yogis. This is because of the boon received by RAvaNa that no God could kill him. Only Human would be able to kill him. If Sri RAma had all 16 kalA-s then he would not remain human (maryAdA puruShSottama), as with 16 kalA-s one has ascended to the highest plane (even from yoga point of view).

In general, a human can master or achieve 5 siddhis, some may achieve 8 or 9 siddhis, but not any further. Only humans with deva-anSa or some avatars can master more than 9 kalA-s.

We have an example of Maha avatar Babaji (Mahavtar Babaji), who is great Kriya Yogi, who has conquered death and has transformed his entire body into light. In one book, written by Neelkanthan titled 'The Voice of Babaji', Babaji's words are quoted as saying, 'Shiva never made me 17 and so you will not be 52'.

After saying this Babaji kissed forehead of Neelkanthan, who was very sick and it is said that his body did not aged any further. Babaji's body stopped aging after 16 years, due to his intense tapas. Some yogis have control over panch mahAbhuta-s. Attainment of some siddhas can empower a yogi to change his physical form, as in case of some siddhas who reside in AruNAchala Parvata, where Sri Ramana Maharshi lived most of his years. They have master many siddhis and Sri Ramana Maharshi said that there are saints, present today, who can give boons or curse, and roam hidden in holy mountain. They have become Shiva-SvarUpa and are even capable of giving vardAna.

16 kalA-s may also be connected with 16 rays of light. I do not have much info, hence I cannot explain you more.

In case of Rama and Krishna, some say that it is a process of evolution, if you compare all incarnations in chronological order, with Krishna as the last. ( don't know about later avatars). This order is true from both spiritual evaluation and mastery and in scientific evaluation, like fish avatar, boar avatar, then human, etc.

Jai Shri Rama
    Last edited by Amrut; 05 November 2013 at 07:20 AM.

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Namaste Anirudh ji

I found below link useful in explaining kalA-s

http://yespluspurulia.wordpress.com/...shna-16-kalas/

Jai Shri Ram

Smile Re: Worshipping Radha - yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Indiaspirituality Amrut View Post
    kalA-s are

Krishna Avatara, with all 16 Kalas (Poorna Avatara):

1) Anna Maya (with cereals)
    2) Pranamaya (with breath)
    3) Mano Maya (with mind)
    4) Vigyanamaya (with knowledge)
    5) Anandamaya (with joy)
    6) Atishayini (With Peace)
    7) Viparinabhini (With Love)
    8) Sankramini (With Creator)
    9) Prabhavi (Kartum Akartum, that is able to do seemingly impossible tasks)
    10) Kunthini (meaning ?)
    11) Vikasini (विकासिन् vikasin adj. great )
    12) Maryadini (highly respected or with etiquette)
    13) Sanhaladini (संह्लादिन् saMhlAdin adj. cheering, a source of happiness)
    14) Ahladini (आह्लादिन् AhlAdin adj. causing joy or delight)
    15) Paripurna (complete knowledge of all forms of awakening)
    16) Swarupavasthitha (swarup + awasthith = established in his real true self)

source

RAma had 14 kalA-s. i.e. Vishnu descended as RAmavatAra with 14 kalA-s. KalA-s are siddhis in the language of Yogis. This is because of the boon received by RAvaNa that no God could kill him. Only Human would be able to kill him. If Sri RAma had all 16 kalA-s then he would not remain human (maryAdA puruShSottama), as with 16 kalA-s one has ascended to the highest plane (even from yoga point of view).

In general, a human can master or achieve 5 siddhis, some may achieve 8 or 9 siddhis, but not any further. Only humans with deva-anSa or some avatars can master more than 9 kalA-s.

We have an example of Maha avatar Babaji (Mahavtar Babaji), who is great Kriya Yogi, who has conquered death and has transformed his entire body into light. In one book, written by Neelkanthan titled 'The Voice of Babaji', Babaji's words are quoted as saying, Shiva never made me 17 and so you will not be 52'.

After saying this Babaji killed forehead of Neelkanthan, who was very sick and it is said that his body did not aged any further. Babaji's body stopped aging after 16 years, due to his intense tapas. Some yogis have control over panch mahAbhuta-s. Some siddhas can change their physical form, as in case of some siddhas who reside in AruNAchala Parvata, where Sri Ramana Maharshi lived most of his years. They have master many siddis and Sri Ramana Maharshi said that there are saints, present today, who can give boons or curse, and roam hidden in holy mountain. They have become Shiva-SvarUpa and are even capable of giving vardAna.

16 kalA-s may also be connected with 16 rays of light. I do not have much info, hence I cannot explain you more.

In case of Rama and Krishna, some say that it is a process of evolution, if you compare all incarnations in chronological order, with Krishna as the last. don't know about later avatars. This order is true from both spiritual evaluation and mastery and in scientific evaluation, like fish avatar, boar avatar, then human, etc.

Jai Shri Rama
    Thank you for such info . It means Vishnu takes avatara as Krishna with 16 kalas . I would like to know scriptural source of this?

Quote Originally Posted by kala link
    because vishnu is too small before krishna. who can give birth to millions of Vishnu.
    The author of that blog is very ignorant who differentiates between Vishnu and Krishna.

hare Krishna.
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 03 November 2013 at 08:53 AM.
    Hari On!

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    I consider all gopis including radha were topmost devotees. Even though their worship was not vedic, they attained bramhan through bhakti.
    Namaste,

What makes you think that their worship was not Vedic? As a wife/mother/daughter they used to follow the Vedic dharma only. Their relationship with Krishna was the relation b/w a jivAtma and a ParamAtma, beyond bodily concepts. Highest form of surrender to Lord Krishna/Vishnu is the essence of Vedic dharma a/c to all Vaishnavas and not contrary to that.

Sukha maharishi Himself does not say that their worship is non-Vedic but clarifies it to King Parikshit for our sake.

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    Thank you for such info . It means Vishnu takes avatara as Krishna with 16 kalas . I would like to know scriptural source of this?

The author of that blog is very ignorant who differentiates between Vishnu and Krishna.

hare Krishna.
    Namaste,

I do not have the exact source. But it is widely known. Some refer to SB 1.3.28. The problem in searching kalaa is it is spelled similar to kaala.

There is a book written by Swami Sivananda of Divine life society

http://www.dlshq.org/download/lordkrishna.htm

pdf version

http://www.dlshq.org/download/lordkrishna.pdf

some ref

http://vahini.org/Discourses/d7-bhagavatam.html

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can help in this regard.

EDIT: I feel this is more connected with Yoga darshan or any other Yoga shastras
    Hari OM
    Last edited by Amrut; 03 November 2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added last line

Quote Originally Posted by jignyAsu View Post
    Namaste,

What makes you think that their worship was not Vedic? As a wife/mother/daughter they used to follow the Vedic dharma only. Their relationship with Krishna was the relation b/w a jivAtma and a ParamAtma, beyond bodily concepts. Highest form of surrender to Lord Krishna/Vishnu is the essence of Vedic dharma a/c to all Vaishnavas and not contrary to that.

Sukha maharishi Himself does not say that their worship is non-Vedic but clarifies it to King Parikshit for our sake.
    Namaste,

I also feel that the path is not non-vedic. Specially when you take esoteric meaning.

Even if we take literal meaning, the total surrender of Gopi-s and the act of rescuing by the Lord from a demon.

I think it is very simple path, which anyone can follow.

P.S. Please correct me if my posts does not give proper info.

Happy Diwali

Jai Shri Krishna

Thread Information