Thread: Received a photo of Lord Ganesh but I'm worried about the position of his trunk.

Unhappy Received a photo of Lord Ganesh but I'm worried about the position of his trunk.

Namaste!

So like the title said, I got this picture of Sri Ganesh http://www.indiabazaar.co.uk/product...o_6x8-2698.htm

I realised that his trunk turns to the right, I have heard that one shouldn't keep an idol or image in the house. Is it ok to just be kept as a photo or is it best to just not have it at all if I'm not going to do puja to it?, if I were to dispose of it what would be the best (respectful) way?

..... Or am I just being superstitious over nothing?

Re: Received a photo of Lord Ganesh but I'm worried about the position of his trunk.

Namaste peasandbones,

Welcome to the forum. By tradition, right-sided trunks are for strict devotees of Ganesha, as this is considered to be a dakshinamurti. To keep my explanation simple, images of Ganesha in this "activated" form are serious about pursuing moksha in this life. Hence, the suggestions that these images of Ganesha be worshipped as it needs that extra bit of spiritual attention. However, curvature of the trunk should not simply be assessed from the general arc of the trunk - it is actually the initial bend of the trunk that one must use to assess direction.

From what I can see in your example, while Sri Ganesha's trunk finishes by spinning in a clockwise direction (right-sided trunk) the initial direction of the trunk is clearly moving towards the left. Therefore strictly speaking that isn't a right curving trunk on Ganesha. I wouldn't worry too much. To me this looks like a Vamamukhi Ganesha and is safe for display in the household.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Re: Received a photo of Lord Ganesh but I'm worried about the position of his trunk.

Vannakkam: One of the most famous (and powerful) temples for Ganesha in Tamil Nadu is at Pillaiyarpatti. The Ganesha is stone-cut (like a relief in the side of a rocky hillock) and His trunk curls to the right. Many people consider this form very auspicious.

http://pillayarpattitrust.com/about.html

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

Thank you sunyata07!
    When I first looked at him I thought there might be a possibility that his trunk was actually left facing, researching the positions online threw me a little but I'm glad it's cleared up now.

Thanks again!

Thread Information