Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What’s in your mind today?

Re: What’s in your mind today?

What we call our real experience is mere shadow, hence it is darkness; and the real is the self, thus says the scriptures.

========

As we are so tuned into this shadow, we never know the light of the Self at all. We just go from one shadow to another. Plato’s famous cave allegory is a further illumination on this complex subject.

He speaks of a cave in which some people are living. They are watching their shadows being cast on the wall on the opposite side of the cave. By long association with these shadows they have come to identify themselves with them.

When a shadow moves its head, they think that they have moved their head. They have created a whole theory centred around their shadows. When one of them wants to turn around and look at the light source that is casting the shadows, he finds that he is riveted in a place, he is bound in such a way that he cannot turn easily. He starts howling, “I am bound, I am bound!” Everyone else laughs at him, “What a stupid fellow! He says he is bound. He claims he is not a shadow.” They think they are sane and he is mad.

He continues to try to turn around, and the more he struggles, the more he feels the bondage. But finally he frees himself the shackles and sees there is a bright light behind everyone that is casting the shadows they are watching. As he walks towards the light he notices it is a fire burning. He goes past the fire and out of the mouth of the cave. There he sees the real Sun shining in the firmament.

When he looks at the Sun, he becomes dazed and cannot keep on looking. He has never seen such a bright light before. It’s too much for him. He is blinded. But finally his eyes get used to seeing in the sunlight, and now he can see the actual world with actual beings all around him.

He thinks, “My God! I was seeing only the shadows of these things before. My poor brothers and sisters are still in the dungeon, suffering. I should go back and tell them.” And so he re-enters the cave.

========

T
    his is exactly what a guru does. First he goes and finds the real light, then he takes pity on those who are still caught in the shadow world and comes back to teach them . Usually he is met with hostility when he tells them there is another world more real then what they are seeing. He may be even crucified.

But it is essentially for us to somehow come to the understanding presented in this allegory of exactly where we are now and what true possibilities lie before us.
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

The slightest kindling of the fire of wisdom is enough, and everything else is automatically accomplished.
    The true contemplative alone lives a life which is eternal.

=============

Although the Gīta permits all forms of worship, including the most childish (such as offering fruits, flowers and water to God), it attaches no value to a discipline or form of worship which is lukewarm or half-hearted.

The recognition of the Absolute should be implied in the attitude of one’s affiliation and devotion.

After permitting the validity of various forms of worship for attaining the Him, with the following remark Śrī Kṛṣṇa begins the unravelling of the mystery of the Absolute; in Chapter 9, He says:

By Me all this world is pervaded, My form un-manifested; all beings have existence in Me and I do not have existence in them. 9:4

And further, beings do not exist in Me; behold My status as a divine mystery; further, Myself remaining that urge behind beings, I bear them but do not exist in them. 9:5

As the great (expanse of) air filling all space has its basis in pure extension, thus you should understand all existences as having their basis in Me. 9:6

But these verses seem to be bristling with contradictions!

If the Absolute has no existence in the relative, from where does the relative gets its substratum to exist?

When Kṛṣṇa admits that he remains as the urge behind beings, how could he say that he does not exist in them?

It is true that this description implies a paradoxical wonder. Beings exist in the Absolute, but the converse is not true, and is here denied. Exactly what then the relation is between the Absolute and the existence remains a wonder and mystery.

This mystery is further heightened by saying that manifested beings do not have existence in the Absolute either, although the relationship of ruler and ruled might yet be postulated between them. It is stated in the verse itself that this is His divine mystery. The wonder remains, unsolved by any logic.

When the meanings of the verses are subjected to final scrutiny, it accounts to saying that Śrī Kṛṣṇa, as representing the Absolute, has no individual ego too. The personal pronoun “I” is used only for the purpose of conforming to literary requirements alone.
    Last edited by brahman; 16 November 2013 at 05:29 AM.
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

Namaste HDF,

I have been thinking about Sri Arjuna for some time now.

Paandavaas faced many trying situation in their life before the final Kurukshetra war. Shree Krishna could have given the knowledge to Arjuna or to any one of his brothers long time before. but that did not happen. There must be some special qualities in Arjuna that he was chosen by Shree Krishna to impart Srimad Bhagavat Gita and that too in the battle ground.

Srimad Bhagavat Gita is truth. That truth is perennial. Krishna knows that Arjuna needed that truth to execute his duty. But he didn't impart till Arjuna was ready to understand the lesson. They say when you are ready the teacher appear.

My thinking is Arjuna had to go through all so that he is ready for the teaching. Had he given up in the middle, would he have got the lesson?
    Anirudh...

Namaste,

Today, I am meditating upon Devi in Her forms as Maa Bhuvaneshwari,
    and Maa Kushmanda.

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Namaste,

One of the subjects of profound interest to me are to explore available information on gods/goddesses to infer a certain association between their various forms. For example, Sita (considered to be Bhooma devi's amsa) is actually Kamakshi amman's (Lalitha Tripura Sundari) avatara, and that she is internally a combination of Lakshmi and Saraswathi amsas... similarly, that Meenakshi amman is basically Matangi mahavidya and that Sri Lakshmi is either of Bhuvaneshwari (as she is called in Sri Lakshmi Ashtottaram) or Kamala mahavidya (otherwise known as 'Kamalatmika'). As another instance, one can recall is even Sri Satyanarayana Swami is a combined amsa of Sri Rama (Vishnu amsa) along with Brahma deva amsa. Today I have been thinking about this. I did find some information in this link very useful, also the blog given at the thread 'Mahapashupatastra blog' under dharma related websites lists interesting information about Ma Sita at http://mahapashupatastra.blogspot.co...-of-shiva.html (although I do not believe that Sri Rama is a combination of Shiva and Shakti amsas as stated in this site).

I am also thinking that the various beeja mantras signify what aspects/amsas combine in a particular deva's composition. For example, 'shreem' is Mahalakshmi beeja, 'hreem' is Maya bheeja, Krim is Kali bheeja... I am thinking that by examining the respective bheeja mantras of a deity, we can eventually arive at an understanding of her composition.
    Last edited by Viraja; 21 November 2013 at 06:38 PM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

So let’s watch and be happy.

We must have noticed that when we dream, we can be conscious of the dream being a dream. But that awareness, that the dream being a dream, does not prevent the dream from manifesting. We cannot get out of the dream until it is completely over, even when we are aware that we are dreaming.

A dream may be very fascinating, though, or it may be very eerie. Anything can happen in our dream experience. But it does not overwhelm us, because it will vanish as we wake up.

In the same sense, our wakeful life can be very similar. Thinks may look so confusing between the extremes of pain and pleasure; but, do we really need to get overwhelmed or discredit ourselves for this.

Because there is another consciousness which says, “The world is like that, and its just a passing phenomenon. We really cannot do anything about.”

So let’s watch and be happy without getting contradicted.
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

यामिमां पुष्पितां वाचं प्रवदन्त्यविपश्चितः |
    वेदवादरताः पार्थ नान्यदस्तीति वादिनः ||२- ४२||
    कामात्मानः स्वर्गपरा जन्मकर्मफलप्रदाम् |
    क्रियाविशेषबहुलां भोगैश्वर्यगतिं प्रति ||२- ४३||
    भोगैश्वर्यप्रसक्तानां तयापहृतचेतसाम् |
    व्यवसायात्मिका बुद्धिः समाधौ न विधीयते ||२- ४४||
    ॐ इदम् न मम
    be just l we happy

Re: What’s in your antaranga today?

|| Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

I'm sorry for the short reply, but there is hardly anything going on in my mind unless I want something to happen in my mind.

Thread Information